Tony Haigh

Notices of deaths, death announcements and messages.
Simon Rogers

Tony Haigh

Post by Simon Rogers » Fri Mar 19, 2021 12:55 pm

It is with great sadness that I have to report the death of Tony Haigh.
He passed away peacefully at home on Saturday 27th February, after a long illness, aged 70.
Tony was a member of Cardigan Chess Club who play in the Dyfed Chess League, Wales.
As well as playing many league matches for Cardigan Chess Club, Tony was a member of the team who travelled to Greece to take part in the European Chess Club cup competition back in 2013.
Up until a few years ago, Tony also ran and organised the Dyfed Chess Congress every February.
I spoke to Tony on the phone on a number of occasions and he posted a bundle of entry forms to me every year, which I gladly took to Scarborough Chess Congress for him.
Any left over, I then took to the British Rapidplay in Leeds and the Preston Chess Congress.
I remember one year, Tony forgot to post the entry forms to me, he asked me the name and address of the Bed and Breakfast I was staying at in Scarborough.
Tony posted the forms direct and to my surprise on the Saturday morning I received a parcel from the Bed and Breakfast owner with the entry forms inside.
The look on the face of the owner was a picture.
Tony was a true gentleman and believed in self sufficiency and had a passion for the Welsh language.
There is a great tribute and history of his life in the Tivy-side Advertiser under news dated 14th March.
www.tivysideadvertiser.co.uk
RIP
Last edited by Simon Rogers on Fri Mar 19, 2021 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Christopher Kreuzer

Re: Tony Haigh

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Fri Mar 19, 2021 4:44 pm

Thank you for the memories and the pointer to the obituary, Simon. There is a nice photo:

https://www.tivysideadvertiser.co.uk/ne ... r-newport/

David Robertson

Post by David Robertson » Fri Mar 19, 2021 10:27 pm

RIP

What a pity. I wish we'd met, and chatted. Or better, conversed

Simon Rogers

Post by Simon Rogers » Wed Mar 24, 2021 11:16 am

A very lengthy Obituary and interesting anecdotes by Howard Williams was posted on the Welsh Chess Union website on 2nd March.

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Wed Mar 24, 2021 1:05 pm