EDWARD (TED) GODLY

Notices of deaths, death announcements and messages.
David Gilbert

EDWARD (TED) GODLY

Post by David Gilbert » Mon Mar 15, 2021 9:24 pm

Sad news has reached me that Edward (Ted) Godly has died at the age of 91. Ted was a founder member of Government Chemists Chess Club and was Chairman of the London Civil Service League and the Civil Service Chess Association during the 1970s and 1980s. His record in the London Civil Service League goes back as far as anyone I know. Indeed he was the second winner the James Curtis Trophy, the Minor Individual Championship, back in 1952 and he was still playing (and beating me) in 2014. When Government Chemists moved out of London he became a permanent fixture in the UNATS Chess Club. In one respect he was a man ahead of his time in that he met the Sicilian with 2.b3, a line which has only recently attracted the interest of chess authors. He will be fondly remembered by those who met him during more than sixty years playing in the former London Civil Service League.
Last edited by David Gilbert on Tue Mar 16, 2021 8:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kevin Thurlow

Re: EDWARD (TED) GODLY 1929 -2020

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Mon Mar 15, 2021 11:57 pm

I was a team-mate of his with Government Chemists from 1975 - 1989. When we were dispersed to Teddington, we dropped out of the Civil Service League. He was a founder member of the GC team when it re-formed in the very early 50s, along with JC Thompson. Ted did essay the Hippopotamus against me once. At work, he had a distinguished career on advice on Customs Tariff Classification (for UK, EU and World Customs Organization) and chemical nomenclature, advising UK Government Departments and EU, as well as being a distinguished member of IUPAC. To some extent, I followed in his footsteps, without being as distinguished (they decided that chess players might be good at that sort of thing). He took early retirement in 1988, following a serious heart problem, and continued as a consultant on nomenclature for many years. It was really helpful having someone much better checking what you did. He also played bowls and was a regular finalist in the Times crossword competition.
As David says, he did play 2.b3 against the Sicilian as something as a pioneer. Unfortunately, a few other people started playing it and it became less of a surprise. He also liked the Stonewall Dutch. He told me that he had played Alexander in a simul and followed the main theoretical line in a Sicilian, until Alexander played a move in a rather forceful manner, saying, "You won't find that in any ruddy book!" Ted lost.
He was also chairman of the Civil Service Chess Association, and after a difficult season, delivered the best speech ever at an AGM, with an early line, "Cheating is despicable and sharp practice is scarcely better". It got people's attention...