Ken AJ Francis

Notices of deaths, death announcements and messages.
Simon Rogers

Ken AJ Francis

Post by Simon Rogers » Tue Mar 09, 2021 9:52 pm

I am sorry to inform you that Ken Francis passed away last week.
Ken was co-founder and stalwart President of Mercia Chess Club.
He co-founded the club on 5th May 1969. He won Mercia Chess Club's best performance award 6 times, including the first one when it started in 1977-78.
Ken played for Mercia in the Birmingham & District Chess League in different divisions many times.
He also played in the Wolverhampton & District Chess League, the Dudley & District League and recently the Worcester and District League.
Ken played in many Congresses across the West Midlands and travelled to play in the Paignton Congress and the Blackpool Congress on a few occasions.
Ken's funeral is at West Bromwich on 7th April 2021.
RIP

Alan Ruffle

Re: Ken AJ Francis

Post by Alan Ruffle » Wed Mar 10, 2021 11:17 am

Ken Francis was my friend in chess.
I first met him in 1975 playing in division 5 of the Wolverhampton league West Midlands Police v Mercia.
Ken was white and he played his favourite “Stonewall attack”. His knights had free range all over the King side of the board. He manoeuvred me off the board. After winning he told me I was not a bad player. At the time I was graded at about ECF 160 and I was fresh from beating Mercia’s best up and coming new young player Andrew McCumiskey who was graded about ECF 170.
Asked what his grade was he replied ECF 128. He smiled and followed it up with “128 is a dead handy grade”……….. “especially in tournaments”……I do believe his current grade is ECF 128.
I played Ken several times after that, there was one more defeat against the “Stonewall”, after which I did some study about this opening and beat him. He never played this opening against me again.
It never happened but in Midland’s chess but Me, you, and Fred Tatler………..What a combination.
Thank you ken.
Yours Sincerely
Alan and Ann Ruffle