Patrick Ribbands

Notices of deaths, death announcements and messages.
Simon Rogers

Patrick Ribbands

Post by Simon Rogers » Sat Feb 06, 2021 2:09 pm

It is with great sadness that I have to report the death of Patrick Ribbands, who died suddenly at the end of January.
Patrick was stalwart of Cambridgeshire chess for a number of decades.
He played and captained teams for Linton in the Bury League for the past decade, and played a similar role for Royston in the Cambs and Herts League. Before that, he played for Cambridge City and was also club president.
Patrick captained the Cambridgeshire county second team for 30 years and was grading officer for 22 years. For the East Anglian Chess Union, he was County Match Controller for 22 years and grading officer for 15 years.
Patrick initiated and ran the East Anglian Club Championship from 2008.
Patrick regularly played in congresses and in the 4NCL.
He will be forever missed.
RIP

Matthew Turner

Re: Patrick Ribbands

Post by Matthew Turner » Sat Feb 06, 2021 2:39 pm

Patrick obliterated me on board two of a team event before enquiring about my grade. He expressed a certain disbelief about the answer as his teammates chuckled. A really nice guy who will be sadly missed.

David Gilbert

Post by David Gilbert » Sat Feb 06, 2021 3:08 pm

Golly! How dreadful. Those who knew him will remember a long beard and a dry sense of humour. He'll be missed not just in Cambridgeshire but on the congress circuit too. He joins the sad ranks of our losses over the last year. We didn't even get the chance to say goodbye.

Roger Lancaster

Post by Roger Lancaster » Sat Feb 06, 2021 3:20 pm

I'm not sure that I ever met Patrick personally but I was in regular email contact, most recently a week or so before his death, in connection with the East Anglia Online Club Championships which he was organising. He came across as a very genuine guy. Although Patrick gave no indication of this, I later heard that he was 71 and had been in indifferent health for some while.

John Sellen

Post by John Sellen » Sat Feb 06, 2021 3:57 pm

Very sorry to hear this
I played a really exciting game with him in the British in Bournemouth (2016) which we drew in the end
He was a lovely man when we chatted afterwards
RIP

Brendan O'Gorman

Post by Brendan O'Gorman » Sat Feb 06, 2021 6:31 pm

Sad. I liked Patrick. Played him several times. Best beard in chess!

Patrick Ribbands.jpg
Patrick Ribbands.jpg (142.99 KiB) Viewed 3033 times

Christopher Kreuzer

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Sat Feb 06, 2021 9:32 pm

This is very sad. I knew Patrick from my time in Cambridgeshire and afterwards, and he was a lovely guy. Always friendly and willing to chat. I played in a few of his teams and almost certainly played against him a few times. Am sad there will now be no chance to renew acquaintances and catch up. 30 years as a county captain is impressive! RIP Patrick.

Andrew Zigmond

Post by Andrew Zigmond » Sat Feb 06, 2021 10:50 pm

Very sorry to hear this news. I knew Patrick Ribbands when he was EACU controller/ Cambridgeshire captain and I was the national controller. Our conversations were always strictly business, so I can't claim I knew him well, but he was always a gentleman and his dedication to his county role was clear. My thoughts are with his family at this time.
Controller - Yorkshire League
Chairman - Harrogate Chess Club
All views expressed entirely my own

Kevin Greenacre

Post by Kevin Greenacre » Tue Feb 09, 2021 8:21 pm

Very sad news - remember Patrick well from EACU county matches at Newmarket and played him several times in county and tournament games. Did a lot for chess and he'll be much missed. RIP Patrick.

Simon Rogers

Post by Simon Rogers » Tue Feb 09, 2021 11:02 pm

There is an excellent tribute by Paul Kemp dated 4th February on: www.hertschess.com
Patrick regularly played in the 4NCL for Poisoned Pawns.
He played in the Majors at chess tournaments across East Anglia and also at the St.Albans Chess Congress.
Patrick played in a number of leagues each season and even last season, played 63 standard play games.

Christopher Kreuzer

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Wed Feb 10, 2021 7:04 am

Thank you, Simon, for pointing that out.

Direct link: http://www.hertschess.com/node/439

I hope Paul Kemp won't mind me quoting part of what he said there (please click through to the link to read it in full):
Paul Kemp wrote:Patrick was a kindly and gentle soul, who always made sure that there were plenty of opportunities for the lower-graded and junior players in events that he organised. He had a long history of coaching juniors, who have themselves paid tribute to the influence he had on them when they were starting out. He was always full of ideas, as evidenced by the Ribbands pairing system which he devised as an alternative to Swiss pairings, organising rapidplay tournaments to try it out!
Does anyone know the details of the Ribbands pairing system? It sounds interesting.

Simon Rogers

Post by Simon Rogers » Thu Mar 18, 2021 10:20 am

Christopher Kreuzer wrote:
Wed Feb 10, 2021 7:04 am
Thank you, Simon, for pointing that out.

Direct link: http://www.hertschess.com/node/439

I hope Paul Kemp won't mind me quoting part of what he said there (please click through to the link to read it in full):
Paul Kemp wrote:Patrick was a kindly and gentle soul, who always made sure that there were plenty of opportunities for the lower-graded and junior players in events that he organised. He had a long history of coaching juniors, who have themselves paid tribute to the influence he had on them when they were starting out. He was always full of ideas, as evidenced by the Ribbands pairing system which he devised as an alternative to Swiss pairings, organising rapidplay tournaments to try it out!
Does anyone know the details of the Ribbands pairing system? It sounds interesting.
Might be worth you emailing or phoning Paul Kemp or Francis Bowers. I have their contact details if you like me to PM them to you Christopher.

Simon Rogers

Post by Simon Rogers » Thu Mar 18, 2021 10:24 am

There is the same tribute to Patrick Ribbands by Paul Kemp on the Bury Area Chess League Website in the Latest News section dated 5th February, but a nice picture of Patrick has been posted there aswell.
www.buryleaguechess.org.uk

Simon Rogers

Post by Simon Rogers » Mon Nov 08, 2021 3:23 pm

On Sunday 14th November there will be tournament titled:
EACU Patrick Ribbands Team Championship
This was posted by Steve Lovell on 6th October on the Bury Area League https://www.buryleaguechess.org.uk
"This season's team championship, renamed in memory of its founder and organiser Patrick Ribbands, will be held on Sunday 14th November at the Moreton Hall Community Centre in Bury St. Edmunds. "
I believe it is organised by Paul Kemp and Bob Jones.
More details on the website.