Page 1 of 1

Bernard Sharples 12 March 1938 to 13 July 2020

Posted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 5:03 pm
by Mick Norris
It is with immense sadness that Bury Chess Club have to announce the death this morning of our club President, Bernard Sharples

Bernard died peacefully at 5 pm yesterday afternoon at home, having very recently been diagnosed with cancer of the oesophagus; he was 82; he is survived by his wife Marjorie

Bernard was a member when the club formed in 1956 having played chess at Bury Grammar School, and remained a member with only a break in the 1970s when his work as a Tax Inspector took him away from Bury; as well as club President and Committee Member, he was Press Secretary, former first team captain and tournament controller, and also former Auditor of the Manchester Chess Federation

Bernard was close to 200 strength at his peak, and remained a 150 grade player in his 80s, testament to his underlying chess ability, and his determination and mental sharpness

We’re not sure that the club will survive without him, and we can’t imagine we will see his like again; he always made an effort to welcome new players, young and old, to the club, and encourage them whatever their ability

More importantly, Bernard was a gentleman, genuinely interested in others, always happy to listen, put things into perspective, and give any help that he could; he was patient and kind, honest, reliable and trustworthy; everyone liked Bernard

We are all better for having known Bernard, and proud that he was our friend

Mick Norris, Treasurer Bury Chess Club

Edited to correct date of death

Re: Bernard Sharples 12 March 1938 to 13 July 2020

Posted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 8:15 pm
by Mick Norris
While my mind is still fresh, I should like to pay tribute to Bernard:

Playing chess with Bernard was always a challenge and rising to that challenge always brought out the best in me. Being overconfident as White when attacking his French Defence was perhaps similar to Napoleon's march on Moscow. In case you are not aware, Napoleon overreached himself and though he captured the Russian Capital, General Kutozov had stripped the city of essential food. Similarly, I had overreached myself, and Bernard's counterattack left me devastated.. Yes there are games I should have won, but with Bernard I learned to lose gracefully and to accept that all experience is part of 'life's rich tapestry'.

I think we all saw in Bernard a true gentleman, and in his conversations which I had when taking him to the club, he showed a great deal of empathy when I related various incidents that had troubled me.

I related several years ago that I was to be seen by Management as my bus had hit some rising bollards in Manchester City Centre. It was as a result of misinterpreting some instruction from the guy who operated these bollards. I simply misheard him and assumed he had lowered them - he had not. He had actually told me to reverse back and drive round them. As a result, my bus caught the bollards and I told Bernard that I was to be seen about the incident. Bernard as ever put things into perspective when he related a similar incident near the Tax offices in Minden Parade when due to a misunderstanding, he did something similar.

Another incident concerned when I lost my bearings on an Orienteering event in Northumberland and did a 'wild goose chase' to the summit of the wrong hill. Bernard always seemed to be able to relate similar incidents from his own experience. He told me he was once in Wales where he was supposed to meet another group of walkers at the top of Snowdon. He did reach the top, but saw the other walkers waving from a different summit. They had gone up the wrong mountain.

When I was belittled by a cantankerous customer, he related a similar incident when a large burly man, possibly complaining about his tax return, squeezed Bernard's hand over the counter making him feel the same way I felt.

Bernard was a busy man and was Treasurer of the Ainsworth Parish Church. In one funny episode he related how he had turned up at the Church to retrieve some Account documents, only to realize a meeting was taking place at which he was supposed to be present. He told me he quietly excused himself as he had another engagement. The way he related this to me could be as humorous as an episode from the Vicar of Dibley. sitcom.

Bernard always related incidents, whether it was fixing his car which had been damaged and many others which were probably frustrating at the time in intricate detail and with humour almost as if you were reading an extract from PG Wodehouse.

I will miss Bernard as I am sure we all will, and I think we owe it to ourselves to encourage young and old alike to enjoy the beautiful game of Chess.

Jeremy Peach
Bury Chess Club Secretary

Re: Bernard Sharples 12 March 1938 to 13 July 2020

Posted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 5:12 pm
by Adam Ashton
Sorry to hear it. He always struck me as a very kind and decent man.

RIP Bernard.