David Fewkes

Notices of deaths, death announcements and messages.
John McKenna

David Fewkes

Post by John McKenna » Mon Apr 13, 2020 7:51 pm

David Fewkes – an appreciation.

Crystal Palace Chess Club has lost one of its most stalwart members, David Fewkes, who died in hospital at the beginning of April, a victim of Covid 19.

David joined the club in 1982 and in 1998 won the club championship. A powerfully built, burly man, he impressed with his attacking style and never-give-up attitude over the board.

His profession was that of a prison officer and he honed his chess skills with other officers and the odd inmate.

He was particularly good in tight positions in the last minutes of a game. He was also thoroughly reliable when it came to playing for teams in matches, never failing to turn up.

His highest grade was 158 ECF.

His other great interest was "treading the boards" - he was a member of (Kent) Hayes Players, and his dilemma was always that he had trouble deciding which hobby he preferred. If he was offered a good stage part then that was what he would do, but as soon as the rehearsals and performances were over he rushed back to the club.

Popular with everyone at the club, he enjoyed a swift pint after a match and analysing games with his particular buddies, Graham Keane and Mark O’Neill. He leaves a widow, Pat, two daughters and grandchildren. He will be greatly missed by all of us.

David Hodgson (club sec.)

Kevin Thurlow

Re: David Fewkes

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Tue Apr 14, 2020 9:10 am

Sorry to hear that - I played him a couple of times in the same season (2008-09). Obviously he didn't have a play on then. I did wonder why he was missing some seasons. The games were certainly tough.

Neil Graham

Post by Neil Graham » Wed Apr 22, 2020 6:17 pm

Prior to this David lived in Nottinghamshire and was a member of the Mansfield Chess Club.

John McKenna

Post by John McKenna » Thu Apr 23, 2020 11:15 am

Thank you for that observation, Neil. (Also, thanks to Kevin Thurlow for his rememberance.)

David Fewkes was a Notts Forest supporter and had a running banter battle with club sec. David Hodgson a Crystal Palace fan.

Not sure if David was a lifelong Forest man. (Could he have been a follower of Cloughie and changed allegiance from Derby County to Forest?) Never thought to ask him and it's too late now.

I wish there could be a moment's silence for David at Mansfield CC as well as at Crystal Palace CC when the clubs reconvene.

He was by all accounts a fine man and a firm friend.

RIP

Neil Graham

Post by Neil Graham » Fri Apr 24, 2020 9:43 pm

John McKenna wrote:
Thu Apr 23, 2020 11:15 am
Thank you for that observation, Neil. (Also, thanks to Kevin Thurlow for his rememberance.)

David Fewkes was a Notts Forest supporter and had a running banter battle with club sec. David Hodgson a Crystal Palace fan.

Not sure if David was a lifelong Forest man. (Could he have been a follower of Cloughie and changed allegiance from Derby County to Forest?) Never thought to ask him and it's too late now.

I wish there could be a moment's silence for David at Mansfield CC as well as at Crystal Palace CC when the clubs reconvene.

He was by all accounts a fine man and a firm friend.

RIP
I can tell you that once a Nottingham Forest fan always a Forest fan - the rivalry between Forest and the Rams is long-standing and intense - allegiances are never changed! I find I played David in the Nottinghamshire County Championship in 1973; eventually winning. I will ensure that once League play is eventually recommenced Mansfield CC are asked to observe a moment's silence.

Jon Tait

Post by Jon Tait » Wed Apr 29, 2020 9:14 am

John McKenna wrote:
Thu Apr 23, 2020 11:15 am
I'll ask when we meet up again (whenever that is), but if David was at Mansfield in the 70s I doubt there's anyone still at the club who knows who he was, including me. A moment's silence at a Notts Chess Association general meeting might therefore be better, so that people within the county - like Neil - who do remember him can do so respectfully.
blog inspired by Bronstein's book, but using my own games: http://200opengames.blogspot.co.uk/

John McKenna

Post by John McKenna » Wed Apr 29, 2020 8:50 pm

Thank you for your thoughtful reply, Jon.

Your suggestion - a moment's silence at a county rather than club meeting - is most probably more appropriate under the circumstances for reasons which are clear to me now.

All the best,
John