Posted by his brother Alan on Facebook:
It is with great sadness and sorrow that I have to advise that my dear brother, Michael, passed away on April 23rd, St Georges day at St Georges Hospital in Tooting, London. He fought his kidney disease with enormous resilience, but five years of dialysis took its toll and the disease eventually took his life.
In the work front Michael was at his best as an advocate in a courtroom. Most unusually, Michael was praised by a District Judge for portraying a particular case accurately and succinctly.
Michael's great love was chess, where he was an acknowledged expert. He was one of only twenty UK postal chess Grandmasters. In the 1970s and 80s he invariably played top board for a team (Mushrooms) in the top division of the London League.
I will miss him massively.
Rest in Peace.
Michael Prizant (1945-2025)
-
Richard James
- Posts: 1333
- Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2007 7:34 pm
- Location: Twickenham
- Contact:
-
Kevin Thurlow
- Posts: 6652
- Joined: Wed Apr 30, 2008 12:28 pm
Re: Michael Prizant (1945-2025)
Sad news - he was a tough opponent, still rated 2140 when I last played him in 2016. He was always perfectly pleasant, being sympathetic after one particularly awful blunder by me.
-
NickFaulks
- Posts: 9283
- Joined: Sat Jan 02, 2010 1:28 pm
Re: Michael Prizant (1945-2025)
I have posted this sad news on the Mushrooms Whatsapp group. I didn't feature much on the strong team of 40-50 years ago and by the time I became captain Mike was already reducing his evenings in London for health reasons, but he still played to a good standard when he was able to turn out. Other Mushrooms will remember him ( and Alan, who gave up OTB chess earlier) much better.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.
-
Angus French
- Posts: 2199
- Joined: Thu May 15, 2008 1:37 am
- Contact:
Re: Michael Prizant (1945-2025)
Sorry to hear that Michael has passed away. We had a number of hard-fought games in the Surrey and Croydon leagues. He was an affable opponent.
-
Jon D'Souza-Eva
- Posts: 922
- Joined: Mon Apr 24, 2023 7:53 am
Re: Michael Prizant (1945-2025)
Alan may have given up OTB chess, but he still named his company Checkmate IT Services! http://www.checkmateservices.com/
-
Roger Lancaster
- Posts: 2059
- Joined: Tue Mar 17, 2015 2:44 pm
Re: Michael Prizant (1945-2025)
As a fellow Mushroom of that era, I'm sorry to hear this news and send condolences to family and close friends.