James Wallman (1928 – 2024)

Notices of deaths, death announcements and messages.
Post Reply
MartinWallman
Posts: 8
Joined: Tue Sep 10, 2024 5:02 pm

James Wallman (1928 – 2024)

Post by MartinWallman » Tue Nov 12, 2024 7:27 pm

It was very sad news for Camberley Chess Club to hear that James Wallman passed away on the 17th October 2024, a week after his 96th birthday.

James was the eldest member of Camberley Chess Club for 3 years, having moved from Dorset to Camberley after his wife died, to be close to his son Martin and his family.

In that relatively short time, James lit up the club with his unfailing enthusiasm and positivity. Not only did he play for the club, but he also travelled far and wide to play in no less than 26 chess tournaments in the last two years!

He was probably the oldest active ECF member.

He was all about playing with a smile and enjoying the game…win, lose or draw – he was a good role model for us all.

For more information and photos: https://camberleychess.co.uk/james-wallman-1928-2024/

Kevin Thurlow
Posts: 6658
Joined: Wed Apr 30, 2008 12:28 pm

Re: James Wallman (1928 – 2024)

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Tue Nov 12, 2024 7:44 pm

Sad news - he played in a number of tournaments where I was arbiter. We probably never had an extended conversation but I remember he was cheerful. My late father was on the Berlin Airlift as well, so extra appreciation for that.

Brendan O'Gorman
Posts: 782
Joined: Thu Jul 23, 2009 9:10 pm

Re: James Wallman (1928 – 2024)

Post by Brendan O'Gorman » Tue Nov 12, 2024 8:19 pm

James Wallman (W Wales).jpg
James Wallman (W Wales).jpg (340.38 KiB) Viewed 4008 times
When I think of players that let no obstacle get in the way of their chess, James is the first name to come to mind. As he had grown frailer in recent years, he had a number of falls. On at least two such occasions, I've seen him return to the board the next day, his face bruised and bandaged, but still determined to soldier on. What a hero.

The photo was taken at the West Wales congress in Swansea in 2022.

MartinWallman
Posts: 8
Joined: Tue Sep 10, 2024 5:02 pm

Re: James Wallman (1928 – 2024)

Post by MartinWallman » Wed Nov 13, 2024 7:42 pm

Thank you Kevin and Brendan.

Andrew Smith
Posts: 72
Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2017 7:55 am

Re: James Wallman (1928 – 2024)

Post by Andrew Smith » Mon Nov 18, 2024 10:25 am

So sorry to hear the news of your father. You introduced me to him at the St Albans Congress and I remember him from the various debates on the Camberley online Forum. I could see where you inherited your natural enthusiasm for chess and life in general. He was a very nice chap and I know he will be missed by the people who were in his life.

MartinWallman
Posts: 8
Joined: Tue Sep 10, 2024 5:02 pm

Re: James Wallman (1928 – 2024)

Post by MartinWallman » Mon Nov 18, 2024 4:37 pm

Thank you very much Andrew.

User avatar
Lee Bullock
Posts: 235
Joined: Sun Aug 08, 2010 3:29 pm

Re: James Wallman (1928 – 2024)

Post by Lee Bullock » Thu Nov 21, 2024 5:06 pm

Totally gutted to see this news. I have been a good friend of James's on the chess circuit for about 13 years. Wish I had done more to stay in touch outside of chess events as I knew he was frail and was a trooper. I recently tried contacting his club but got no reply. Just asked if I could have his phone number. I always loved talking to him and we shared many fun times and chats. I always invited him out to the pub or bar to make him feel welcome. I have a lovely pic of one time he accepted. Iv attached it. Hope it works. It was in 2019 when James was a young 91 year old pup. I was with David Spence at the time and we really cheered james up and listened to his stories. Will miss you old buddy. 😢
Attachments
20241121_165913.jpg
20241121_165913.jpg (1.71 MiB) Viewed 3367 times
2013/2014 and 16/17 18/19 U140 Grand Prix Winner! ;)

2015. 2016. 2019. Chess character of the year :)

Its not a failure to lose. Its a failure when you dont try and win.

MartinWallman
Posts: 8
Joined: Tue Sep 10, 2024 5:02 pm

Re: James Wallman (1928 – 2024)

Post by MartinWallman » Thu Nov 21, 2024 5:50 pm

Hi Lee, thanks for your post and great lovely words. I am sorry you couldn't seem to get in touch, he was playing at Camberley Chess Club up until January 2024 and his last tournament was Guildford in April. Fantastic photo, can you say where the photo was taken?

User avatar
Lee Bullock
Posts: 235
Joined: Sun Aug 08, 2010 3:29 pm

Re: James Wallman (1928 – 2024)

Post by Lee Bullock » Thu Nov 21, 2024 6:01 pm

Hi Martin.

Just checked. And it was the 4NCL Spring Bank Holiday Congress. In May 2019. In Basingstoke. Was a long walk to go anywhere from that venue but James was up and down like a trooper as always. I remember him winning first few rounds and being excited and I was saying you can do it james haha.
2013/2014 and 16/17 18/19 U140 Grand Prix Winner! ;)

2015. 2016. 2019. Chess character of the year :)

Its not a failure to lose. Its a failure when you dont try and win.

User avatar
Lee Bullock
Posts: 235
Joined: Sun Aug 08, 2010 3:29 pm

Re: James Wallman (1928 – 2024)

Post by Lee Bullock » Sun Nov 24, 2024 6:32 pm

Here is the very first game me and James played in 2011. The first time I met him. We sat down after and tried to make sense of it haha. I just went through game and remember a few funny moments during game, especially my move 33. we both looked at eachother and smiled haha. He was so nice and friendly. my Qh5 also put him in smile and long think haha. not bad for a 79 grade at the time.



He got his revenge just days later. We had many more battles over the years and my big improvement was a bit too much for him. This one is for you James.

2013/2014 and 16/17 18/19 U140 Grand Prix Winner! ;)

2015. 2016. 2019. Chess character of the year :)

Its not a failure to lose. Its a failure when you dont try and win.

MartinWallman
Posts: 8
Joined: Tue Sep 10, 2024 5:02 pm

Re: James Wallman (1928 – 2024)

Post by MartinWallman » Fri Dec 20, 2024 9:00 pm

Thanks for all that Lee and your friendship.

User avatar
John Upham
Posts: 8377
Joined: Wed Apr 04, 2007 10:29 am
Location: Cove, Hampshire, England.
Contact:

Re: James Wallman (1928 – 2024)

Post by John Upham » Sun Dec 22, 2024 12:37 pm

Arbiter, Organiser, Swiss Mangler person, Rating Officer, Teacher, Coach and Photographer
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess :D

User avatar
Lee Bullock
Posts: 235
Joined: Sun Aug 08, 2010 3:29 pm

Re: James Wallman (1928 – 2024)

Post by Lee Bullock » Thu Dec 26, 2024 6:40 pm

MartinWallman wrote: ↑
Fri Dec 20, 2024 9:00 pm
Thanks for all that Lee and your friendship.
No problem Martin. I also found these. This was the same day. I was with David Spence that day. And he also had a few pics with James 😊. And one of me with hands that I didn’t post before.
Attachments
IMG_2928.png
IMG_2928.png (1.52 MiB) Viewed 2617 times
IMG_2926.png
IMG_2926.png (1.64 MiB) Viewed 2617 times
IMG_2927.png
IMG_2927.png (1.68 MiB) Viewed 2617 times
2013/2014 and 16/17 18/19 U140 Grand Prix Winner! ;)

2015. 2016. 2019. Chess character of the year :)

Its not a failure to lose. Its a failure when you dont try and win.

GrahamStuart
Posts: 233
Joined: Wed Dec 15, 2021 11:04 am
Location: Blackfield
Contact:

Re: James Wallman (1928 – 2024)

Post by GrahamStuart » Fri Jan 03, 2025 2:43 pm

Just to update that I have been writing the Hampshire Individual Championship articles for my website. The 2015 Minor has just been completed and James finished a very credible 3rd behind two strong players. He played in several of the HCA Minor tournaments, but although I have no games from the section people may be interested?

https://hampshirechesshistory.co.uk/ham ... 015-minor/

MartinWallman
Posts: 8
Joined: Tue Sep 10, 2024 5:02 pm

Re: James Wallman (1928 – 2024)

Post by MartinWallman » Tue Jan 21, 2025 11:16 pm

Thank you Graham and Lee (again) great to see your comments and photos, really appreciated.

Post Reply