James Wallman (1928 – 2024)
-
MartinWallman
- Posts: 8
- Joined: Tue Sep 10, 2024 5:02 pm
James Wallman (1928 – 2024)
It was very sad news for Camberley Chess Club to hear that James Wallman passed away on the 17th October 2024, a week after his 96th birthday.
James was the eldest member of Camberley Chess Club for 3 years, having moved from Dorset to Camberley after his wife died, to be close to his son Martin and his family.
In that relatively short time, James lit up the club with his unfailing enthusiasm and positivity. Not only did he play for the club, but he also travelled far and wide to play in no less than 26 chess tournaments in the last two years!
He was probably the oldest active ECF member.
He was all about playing with a smile and enjoying the game…win, lose or draw – he was a good role model for us all.
For more information and photos: https://camberleychess.co.uk/james-wallman-1928-2024/
James was the eldest member of Camberley Chess Club for 3 years, having moved from Dorset to Camberley after his wife died, to be close to his son Martin and his family.
In that relatively short time, James lit up the club with his unfailing enthusiasm and positivity. Not only did he play for the club, but he also travelled far and wide to play in no less than 26 chess tournaments in the last two years!
He was probably the oldest active ECF member.
He was all about playing with a smile and enjoying the game…win, lose or draw – he was a good role model for us all.
For more information and photos: https://camberleychess.co.uk/james-wallman-1928-2024/
-
Kevin Thurlow
- Posts: 6658
- Joined: Wed Apr 30, 2008 12:28 pm
Re: James Wallman (1928 – 2024)
Sad news - he played in a number of tournaments where I was arbiter. We probably never had an extended conversation but I remember he was cheerful. My late father was on the Berlin Airlift as well, so extra appreciation for that.
-
Brendan O'Gorman
- Posts: 782
- Joined: Thu Jul 23, 2009 9:10 pm
Re: James Wallman (1928 – 2024)
When I think of players that let no obstacle get in the way of their chess, James is the first name to come to mind. As he had grown frailer in recent years, he had a number of falls. On at least two such occasions, I've seen him return to the board the next day, his face bruised and bandaged, but still determined to soldier on. What a hero.
The photo was taken at the West Wales congress in Swansea in 2022.
The photo was taken at the West Wales congress in Swansea in 2022.
-
MartinWallman
- Posts: 8
- Joined: Tue Sep 10, 2024 5:02 pm
Re: James Wallman (1928 – 2024)
Thank you Kevin and Brendan.
-
Andrew Smith
- Posts: 72
- Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2017 7:55 am
Re: James Wallman (1928 – 2024)
So sorry to hear the news of your father. You introduced me to him at the St Albans Congress and I remember him from the various debates on the Camberley online Forum. I could see where you inherited your natural enthusiasm for chess and life in general. He was a very nice chap and I know he will be missed by the people who were in his life.
-
MartinWallman
- Posts: 8
- Joined: Tue Sep 10, 2024 5:02 pm
Re: James Wallman (1928 – 2024)
Thank you very much Andrew.
- Lee Bullock
- Posts: 235
- Joined: Sun Aug 08, 2010 3:29 pm
Re: James Wallman (1928 – 2024)
Totally gutted to see this news. I have been a good friend of James's on the chess circuit for about 13 years. Wish I had done more to stay in touch outside of chess events as I knew he was frail and was a trooper. I recently tried contacting his club but got no reply. Just asked if I could have his phone number. I always loved talking to him and we shared many fun times and chats. I always invited him out to the pub or bar to make him feel welcome. I have a lovely pic of one time he accepted. Iv attached it. Hope it works. It was in 2019 when James was a young 91 year old pup. I was with David Spence at the time and we really cheered james up and listened to his stories. Will miss you old buddy. 
- Attachments
-
- 20241121_165913.jpg (1.71 MiB) Viewed 3369 times
2013/2014 and 16/17 18/19 U140 Grand Prix Winner!
2015. 2016. 2019. Chess character of the year
Its not a failure to lose. Its a failure when you dont try and win.
2015. 2016. 2019. Chess character of the year
Its not a failure to lose. Its a failure when you dont try and win.
-
MartinWallman
- Posts: 8
- Joined: Tue Sep 10, 2024 5:02 pm
Re: James Wallman (1928 – 2024)
Hi Lee, thanks for your post and great lovely words. I am sorry you couldn't seem to get in touch, he was playing at Camberley Chess Club up until January 2024 and his last tournament was Guildford in April. Fantastic photo, can you say where the photo was taken?
- Lee Bullock
- Posts: 235
- Joined: Sun Aug 08, 2010 3:29 pm
Re: James Wallman (1928 – 2024)
Hi Martin.
Just checked. And it was the 4NCL Spring Bank Holiday Congress. In May 2019. In Basingstoke. Was a long walk to go anywhere from that venue but James was up and down like a trooper as always. I remember him winning first few rounds and being excited and I was saying you can do it james haha.
Just checked. And it was the 4NCL Spring Bank Holiday Congress. In May 2019. In Basingstoke. Was a long walk to go anywhere from that venue but James was up and down like a trooper as always. I remember him winning first few rounds and being excited and I was saying you can do it james haha.
2013/2014 and 16/17 18/19 U140 Grand Prix Winner!
2015. 2016. 2019. Chess character of the year
Its not a failure to lose. Its a failure when you dont try and win.
2015. 2016. 2019. Chess character of the year
Its not a failure to lose. Its a failure when you dont try and win.
- Lee Bullock
- Posts: 235
- Joined: Sun Aug 08, 2010 3:29 pm
Re: James Wallman (1928 – 2024)
Here is the very first game me and James played in 2011. The first time I met him. We sat down after and tried to make sense of it haha. I just went through game and remember a few funny moments during game, especially my move 33. we both looked at eachother and smiled haha. He was so nice and friendly. my Qh5 also put him in smile and long think haha. not bad for a 79 grade at the time.
He got his revenge just days later. We had many more battles over the years and my big improvement was a bit too much for him. This one is for you James.
He got his revenge just days later. We had many more battles over the years and my big improvement was a bit too much for him. This one is for you James.
2013/2014 and 16/17 18/19 U140 Grand Prix Winner!
2015. 2016. 2019. Chess character of the year
Its not a failure to lose. Its a failure when you dont try and win.
2015. 2016. 2019. Chess character of the year
Its not a failure to lose. Its a failure when you dont try and win.
-
MartinWallman
- Posts: 8
- Joined: Tue Sep 10, 2024 5:02 pm
Re: James Wallman (1928 – 2024)
Thanks for all that Lee and your friendship.
- John Upham
- Posts: 8377
- Joined: Wed Apr 04, 2007 10:29 am
- Location: Cove, Hampshire, England.
- Contact:
Re: James Wallman (1928 – 2024)
Arbiter, Organiser, Swiss Mangler person, Rating Officer, Teacher, Coach and Photographer
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess
- Lee Bullock
- Posts: 235
- Joined: Sun Aug 08, 2010 3:29 pm
Re: James Wallman (1928 – 2024)
No problem Martin. I also found these. This was the same day. I was with David Spence that day. And he also had a few pics with James
- Attachments
-
- IMG_2928.png (1.52 MiB) Viewed 2619 times
-
- IMG_2926.png (1.64 MiB) Viewed 2619 times
-
- IMG_2927.png (1.68 MiB) Viewed 2619 times
2013/2014 and 16/17 18/19 U140 Grand Prix Winner!
2015. 2016. 2019. Chess character of the year
Its not a failure to lose. Its a failure when you dont try and win.
2015. 2016. 2019. Chess character of the year
Its not a failure to lose. Its a failure when you dont try and win.
-
GrahamStuart
- Posts: 233
- Joined: Wed Dec 15, 2021 11:04 am
- Location: Blackfield
- Contact:
Re: James Wallman (1928 – 2024)
Just to update that I have been writing the Hampshire Individual Championship articles for my website. The 2015 Minor has just been completed and James finished a very credible 3rd behind two strong players. He played in several of the HCA Minor tournaments, but although I have no games from the section people may be interested?
https://hampshirechesshistory.co.uk/ham ... 015-minor/
https://hampshirechesshistory.co.uk/ham ... 015-minor/
https://www.hampshirechesshistory.co.uk
@HCAChessHistory
@HCAChessHistory
-
MartinWallman
- Posts: 8
- Joined: Tue Sep 10, 2024 5:02 pm
Re: James Wallman (1928 – 2024)
Thank you Graham and Lee (again) great to see your comments and photos, really appreciated.