Request for Technical area

Discussions of things like CSS, Soap and SQL which make sense to readers in IT.
Neville Belinfante

Request for Technical area

Post by Neville Belinfante » Thu Oct 20, 2011 6:03 pm

Dear Carl, Jack and Sean

Would it be possible to set up a new forum area for technical matters please. In the past, there have been quite detailed discussions of things like CSS, Soap and SQL which make sense to forum readers who work in Information Technology, but would go over the heads of others.The intention is that such postings would be in the new area only.

One of the first things I would like to contribute would be an elaboration of the SQL that Jon Griffiths has put into the Membership List Online thread. Other things to be added could be any technical questions or comments on any chess software or website development.

I dont mind if the area is called something boring like "Technical Area", or something imaginative like "Geek's Corner" or something in between.

Regards

Neville Belinfante

IM Jack Rudd

Re: Request for Technical area

Post by IM Jack Rudd » Thu Oct 20, 2011 6:13 pm

Sounds like a good idea, although I do not have the power to set it up.

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Thu Oct 20, 2011 7:36 pm

Neville Belinfante wrote:
detailed discussions of things like Soap
Many chess players are averse to this topic so we must be careful not to offend!

Did you mean SOAP or the sitcom?

If we are to discuss SOAP then we ought to include AJAX in the mix plus a little Tomcat, WebSphere, JQuery, BIRT and Eclipse.

I've suggested to Michael Bennett that his implementation of the PHP wrapper for the grading database be sprinkled with AJAX: he agreed!
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess :D

Neville Belinfante

Post by Neville Belinfante » Thu Oct 20, 2011 8:20 pm

I have used WSDL and SOAP a lot recently, although I have always found it flaky and have not yet found a clean implementation. Any suggestions gratefully received. However please wait until the new area is setup by Carl, as any answers here could be regarded as off-topic for this thread.

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Thu Oct 20, 2011 8:27 pm

Neville Belinfante wrote:However please wait until the new area is setup by Carl, as any answers here could be regarded as off-topic for this thread.
Neville, this is the new area. It was created before John's post. :D

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Thu Oct 20, 2011 9:06 pm

Neville Belinfante wrote:Any suggestions gratefully received.
Do you have a suitable box to post them to?
suggestions.jpg
Neville's box
suggestions.jpg (9.97 KiB) Viewed 6520 times
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess :D

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Thu Oct 20, 2011 9:15 pm

Neville Belinfante wrote:I have used WSDL and SOAP a lot recently, although I have always found it flaky and have not yet found a clean implementation. Any suggestions gratefully received. However please wait until the new area is setup by Carl, as any answers here could be regarded as off-topic for this thread.
Yes all done Neville so what am I missing?
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Thu Oct 20, 2011 9:27 pm

Neville Belinfante wrote:I have used WSDL and SOAP a lot recently, although I have always found it flaky and have not yet found a clean implementation. Any suggestions gratefully received. However please wait until the new area is setup by Carl, as any answers here could be regarded as off-topic for this thread.
There is always .NET (my real job) but it makes the hosting far more expensive and of course SQL server is your main choice
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

Neville Belinfante

Post by Neville Belinfante » Fri Oct 21, 2011 12:58 am

Apologies to Carl, Alex, John and others that I overlooked that this thread was moved from the News and Support section that I wrote it in to the new Technical Area.

I was expecting my thread to stay in the same place, and to receive a PM from Carl to say that the new area had been created.