ECF Grading results check

General discussions about ratings.
John Hickman

ECF Grading results check

Post by John Hickman » Tue Jun 30, 2009 10:49 pm

Previously I would have been emailed an ECF Grading results check by now with me gradings for last season.

Does anyone know when/if this is being sent this year?

TIA,

John

Roger de Coverly

Re: ECF Grading results check

Post by Roger de Coverly » Tue Jun 30, 2009 11:39 pm

John Hickman wrote:Previously I would have been emailed an ECF Grading results check by now with me gradings for last season.

Does anyone know when/if this is being sent this year?

TIA,

John
Could be difficult as they are supposed to be making the "red" grades official. We don't even know the final "post-Rough" versions of the "red" grades yet.

In any event all the sceptics will parallel calculate using the "old" grades and ask why if their change on "old" grades is next to nothing, why their change on red grades is plus 10. Or not as the case may be. Ben Purton was claiming something like +20 on old grades but +30 on red grades.

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Wed Jul 01, 2009 10:18 am

Roger de Coverly wrote:In any event all the sceptics will parallel calculate using the "old" grades and ask why if their change on "old" grades is next to nothing, why their change on red grades is plus 10. Or not as the case may be. Ben Purton was claiming something like +20 on old grades but +30 on red grades.
I've done the same, I reckon my old grade would go from 90 -> 110, and my new grade from 130 -> 151 (presuming formulae conversions are accurate) So +20 and +21 for me.

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Wed Jul 01, 2009 4:54 pm

Should the ratio between the pre and post quantitative easing ratings be controlled by the Bank of England base rate?
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess :D

John Hickman

Post by John Hickman » Thu Jul 02, 2009 7:28 am

John Upham wrote:Should the ratio between the pre and post quantitative easing ratings be controlled by the Bank of England base rate?
I'm just hoping that my membership fee isn't going towards cleaning the ECFs moat :wink:

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Thu Jul 02, 2009 8:17 am

In answer to John's first question, I believe the deadline for submission of results was deferred to 20th June, (it's usually a week earlier). The Surrey grader told me the deadline was end of June and he was hoping to hit that. So whichever (if either) date is right, it is not surprising if all the processing has not been done. And there are always late results of course.
"Kevin was the arbiter and was very patient. " Nick Grey

Ian Thompson

Post by Ian Thompson » Thu Jul 02, 2009 10:39 am

Kevin Thurlow wrote:In answer to John's first question, I believe the deadline for submission of results was deferred to 20th June, (it's usually a week earlier). The Surrey grader told me the deadline was end of June and he was hoping to hit that. So whichever (if either) date is right, it is not surprising if all the processing has not been done. And there are always late results of course.
No. The deadline for submission of results in order for them to be included in the new grading list always has been 30 June. The preliminary results check is separate from that. Direct Members and certain other people, such as graders, have, for the last few years, been sent a list of their own games that have been submitted for grading, so they can alert the ECF to any errors in it before the new grading list is published. This has usually happened about a week before the end of June, but I haven't received one this year. It comes with the following statement (last year):

"ECF GRADING: PRELIMINARY RESULTS CHECK
The attachment is not a final list of your results, and it does not contain your 2008 grade. It is a list of all your results reported so far, sent so that you can check it.

Only about 80% of results have so far been reported. Inevitably a number of leagues have not reported yet, including some of the largest. Some congresses are also awaited. The remaining results are expected in the next two weeks or so. This is, in short, an incomplete check. Waiting any longer would have made it impossible to incorporate corrections before the Grading List is produced. Further corrections can still be made afterwards.

Please report any errors, as soon as possible, to the Grading Administrator Richard Haddrell at the address this email has come from. ... Quote the date of any erroneous or missing result, and the name of the event it was played in. Please be sure to give your name and grading code. Do be prompt. Corrections have to be verified, and this can take time.

Please DO NOT report the absence from your attachment of events which have not reported yet. You can find which these are by checking the ECF website's list of Events Received (see Grading page). If an event is not in that list, it has not yet been reported and could not possibly be in your attachment. If it is in the website list, its absence from your attachment could mean error. It may not, because the website list is continuously updated and the event may have come in since your attachment was prepared. However, you are asked to report any omission which appears as "graded" on the ECF site."

Howard Grist

Post by Howard Grist » Thu Jul 02, 2009 11:33 am

John Hickman wrote:Does anyone know when/if this is being sent this year?
The grading results check will be sent out shortly - probably at the start of next week. Issues with the new grades have delayed things this year.
Former ECF Grading System Programmer

Richard Haddrell

Post by Richard Haddrell » Tue Jul 07, 2009 10:50 am

Howard Grist wrote:The grading results check will be sent out shortly - probably at the start of next week. Issues with the new grades have delayed things this year.
The results check has been sent now - but not received!

Checks were emailed to 1,770 Direct Members yesterday morning via the ECF Office. (I can't handle that sort of volume from home.) Unfortunately the Office are having problems with their email system - there's an announcement on the ECF website - and it's obvious the emails have got stuck somewhere. I'd have expected quite a few responses by now, but no, not even a bounce. And, believe me, you don't email 1,770 Direct Members without getting bounces.

Cancel that. They re-sent the emails a few minutes ago and I've had a response and 31 bounces. Correction. 71 bounces and counting. It seems the check has gone.

Richard Haddrell
Grading Administrator, ECF

Ben Purton

Post by Ben Purton » Tue Jul 07, 2009 10:57 am

Clubs Sambuca Sharks, Hayes (Middlesex.), Drunken Knights, Bristol University, Middlesex
CCA, Newbury

Btw when is the new grades available, my list has all the old grades listed.

Kind regards

Ben
I love sleep, I need 8 hours a day and about 10 at night - Bill Hicks
I would die happy if I beat Wood Green in the Eastman Cup final - Richmond LL captain.
Hating the Yankees since 2002. Hating the Jets since 2001.

Ben Purton

Post by Ben Purton » Tue Jul 07, 2009 11:00 am

I only lost 3 games to people who had ECF grades, the other 2 were unrated. The rated people were Rawle Allicock, and then 2 Barbican players GRRR :P(Rogers!) :)
I love sleep, I need 8 hours a day and about 10 at night - Bill Hicks
I would die happy if I beat Wood Green in the Eastman Cup final - Richmond LL captain.
Hating the Yankees since 2002. Hating the Jets since 2001.

Mike Gunn

Post by Mike Gunn » Tue Jul 07, 2009 11:22 am

Mine turned up with a timestamp of 10.15am on it.

The accompanying text says late July or early August for the new grades. The delay is taken up with results being corrected etc