Page 1 of 10
Problems Accessing the ECF Grading Database?
Posted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 12:26 pm
by Jon Mahony
For about the last 6 days, every time I have tried to get on the Database page, the following message is displayed:
Copyright © 2014 The English Chess Federation
The English Chess Federation, The Watch Oak, Chain Lane, Battle, East Sussex TN33 0YD
Tel: 01424 775222 Fax: 01424 775904 Email:
[email protected]
Powered by WordPress & Atahualpa
27 queries. 2.610 seconds.
Is it just me? And if not, what’s happening, is the page just closed down in preparation for the new grades coming out?
Re: Problems Accessing the ECF Grading Database?
Posted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 1:24 pm
by LawrenceCooper
Jon Mahony wrote:For about the last 6 days, every time I have tried to get on the Database page, the following message is displayed:
Copyright © 2014 The English Chess Federation
The English Chess Federation, The Watch Oak, Chain Lane, Battle, East Sussex TN33 0YD
Tel: 01424 775222 Fax: 01424 775904 Email:
[email protected]
Powered by WordPress & Atahualpa
27 queries. 2.610 seconds.
Is it just me? And if not, what’s happening, is the page just closed down in preparation for the new grades coming out?
I've no idea why it happens but if you select "Grading" from the drop down menu and click on "Database" it should then appear.
Re: Problems Accessing the ECF Grading Database?
Posted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 1:51 pm
by MartinCarpenter
The old link, which I'd always used was
http://www.englishchess.org.uk/grading/database/ and seems to now be broken in the manner described.
That link from the top menu goes to
http://www.ecfgrading.org.uk/new/menu.php and seems to work nicely. No idea if they're meant to mirror each other or such like

Re: Problems Accessing the ECF Grading Database?
Posted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 2:07 pm
by Barry Sandercock
Although I can get it o.k. on my P.C. I find it impossible to get it on my Ipad (tablet).It flashes on the screen for a split second and then there is just a blank screen with the words "Events received." Most annoying.
Re: Problems Accessing the ECF Grading Database?
Posted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 2:16 pm
by Jon Mahony
Its working fine for me now, many thanks lads - clearly it’s a dead link they haven’t yet removed, though it is still first to come up on Google.
Re: Problems Accessing the ECF Grading Database?
Posted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 1:39 pm
by John Upham
When viewed on an iPad I see
"Events
Received" on the lower left hand side and nothing else.
Scrolling in any direction does not help.
I suspect that the application has not been designed and / or tested for use with tablets etc.
Re: Problems Accessing the ECF Grading Database?
Posted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 1:59 pm
by Roger de Coverly
John Upham wrote:
I suspect that the application has not been designed and / or tested for use with tablets etc.
The server has recently moved.
http://www.ecfgrading.org.uk/new/menu.php appears to be the current address
I was able to load it, slowly, on an Android phone. It's a useful facility for match captains, a grading list on your phone, always assuming you are allowed to have it with you.
Re: Problems Accessing the ECF Grading Database?
Posted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 8:39 pm
by Gary Cook
On my iPad I open the database, I get a quick view and then it vanishes leaving only "Events Received" at the bottom left
Re: Problems Accessing the ECF Grading Database?
Posted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 8:54 pm
by Barry Sandercock
I have exactly the same problem. Does anyone know if there is any way to overcome this ?
Re: Problems Accessing the ECF Grading Database?
Posted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 9:20 pm
by Clive Blackburn
I have no problems accessing the database now, either using my PC or my Android tablet.
A few weeks ago I did experience the SQL error messages though, as mentioned in the original post.
Re: Problems Accessing the ECF Grading Database?
Posted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 4:09 pm
by Jon Mahony
When are the new grades out anyway, don't the ECF usually have them out in time for the start of the British?
Re: Problems Accessing the ECF Grading Database?
Posted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:11 pm
by Matt Mackenzie
Jon Mahony wrote:When are the new grades out anyway, don't the ECF usually have them out in time for the start of the British?
A fair question - any answer?

Re: Problems Accessing the ECF Grading Database?
Posted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:24 pm
by Brian Valentine
Graders have till midnight to submit late results. It will take a few days to get everything in order to publish the list. The British is early this year.
Re: Problems Accessing the ECF Grading Database?
Posted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 4:54 pm
by Gary Cook
The ECF knew the British would be early do couldn't the grading deadlines have been moved slightly?
Re: Problems Accessing the ECF Grading Database?
Posted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 5:22 pm
by John Upham
Gary Cook wrote:The ECF knew the British would be early do couldn't the grading deadlines have been moved slightly?
Bringing forward The British will not also bring forward the submission of results and the subsequent processing of the results.