Rapid events with over rated players.

General discussions about ratings.
Lee Bullock

Rapid events with over rated players.

Post by Lee Bullock » Thu Feb 29, 2024 1:56 pm

Iv recently started to play again after death of my mum last year. And have looked a few local events. And there are players playing in u1700 events even though they are 1900/2000 ecf ratings. One player has won every single u1700 event he has played in. 5 of them. And even one u1450. How is this alowed? Surely if a player has one rating that is over the limit they should be moved up a section?

I attach the players profile and results in the past 6 months. There are many others doing the same thing. Getting in via fide rating. But the tournaments are not fide rated?? How is this allowed? It’s possible a GM could get into a u1700 rapid via his low rapid fide rating. Why is this fair?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2013/2014 and 16/17 U140 Grand Prix Winner! ;)

2015 and 2016 Chess character of the year :)

Its not a failure to lose. Its a failure when you dont try and win.

Neil Graham

Re: Rapid events with over rated players.

Post by Neil Graham » Thu Feb 29, 2024 2:44 pm

Firstly the tournaments concerned were FIDE rated.

It doesn't take Einstein to see who this player is - he scored 20.5/21 in these games. I note that his one draw was against Ding though he did beat Dong.

I have no idea what terms/conditions/rules were for the two events (two tournaments from each event) but any complaints or queries should be addressed to the organiser of these events. Debate on this forum is pretty useless.

David Gilbert

Post by David Gilbert » Thu Feb 29, 2024 3:05 pm

Ealing use FIDE ratings for eligibility. So his entry was perfectly legitimate. Thing is tomorrow we’re supposed to see the FIDE uplift and he’ll be elevated above 1800. Trouble is so will you!

Neil Graham

Post by Neil Graham » Thu Feb 29, 2024 3:17 pm

In the British Rapidplay this weekend the highest of ECF rapidplay or FIDE rapidplay has been used as rating for the event.

Without counting I estimate that the ECF rapidplay is higher in 90% of cases sometimes by a huge margin.

LawrenceCooper

Post by LawrenceCooper » Thu Feb 29, 2024 3:44 pm

David Gilbert wrote:
Thu Feb 29, 2024 3:05 pm
Ealing use FIDE ratings for eligibility. So his entry was perfectly legitimate. Thing is tomorrow we’re supposed to see the FIDE uplift and he’ll be elevated above 1800. Trouble is so will you!
The March ratings were published this afternoon, albeit the site is currently very slow, at the moment.

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Thu Feb 29, 2024 4:44 pm

David Gilbert wrote:
Thu Feb 29, 2024 3:05 pm
1697 FIDE from today's figures, up from 1495; of course, FIDE don't rate all the games, whereas the ECF do
Any postings on here represent my personal views

Brian Valentine

Post by Brian Valentine » Thu Feb 29, 2024 4:57 pm

Neil Graham wrote:
Thu Feb 29, 2024 3:17 pm
In the British Rapidplay this weekend the highest of ECF rapidplay or FIDE rapidplay has been used as rating for the event.

Without counting I estimate that the ECF rapidplay is higher in 90% of cases sometimes by a huge margin.
From the work based on the year end lists ECF was higher than FIDE 2/3 the time. We projected that this would reduce to about 1/3 tomorrow. I suspect the underlying position could be quite different. There were only 2,675 players with ratings in both lists. The ECF list had c21,000 with active rapid ratings. This reflects the theme expressed by Nick Faulks on these subjects. The more games submitted the more reliable ratings are. In rapid chess there are less excuses to not submit to FIDE; on the other hand the majority of English rapid play would be excluded by FIDE because most of this chess is played below 1400 here.

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Thu Feb 29, 2024 6:19 pm

"From the work based on the year end lists ECF was higher than FIDE 2/3 the time."

At Wells, of the 29 FIDE and ECF-rated players, I am the only one with a higher FIDE than ECF rating. I say this is because I play better with proper time-limits. As a scientist, I have to concede, I have played fewer FIDE-rated games (7) than ECF (13) this season, so you could claim the bigger sample is more likely to be "true".

As for Lee's complaint, there are always players who manage to manipulate ratings to play in lower sections, as well as those who do it accidentally.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Fri Mar 01, 2024 4:38 pm

Mick Norris wrote:
Thu Feb 29, 2024 4:44 pm
of course, FIDE don't rate all the games
They would if they were submitted for rating! No charge.

I am confused by the title of this thread.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Brendan O'Gorman

Post by Brendan O'Gorman » Fri Mar 01, 2024 4:54 pm

NickFaulks wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2024 4:38 pm
Mick Norris wrote:

I think Mick may be alluding to the fact that one doesn't get a FIDE rating for games against players without a FIDE rating.

The original poster is probably referring to the facts that
a) historically, most players' ECF ratings far exceeded their FIDE ratings, and
b) most ECF ratings in England are based on more games, making them a more accurate measure of playing strength.

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Fri Mar 01, 2024 5:04 pm

Brendan O'Gorman wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2024 4:54 pm
NickFaulks wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2024 4:38 pm
Mick Norris wrote:

I think Mick may be alluding to the fact that one doesn't get a FIDE rating for games against players without a FIDE rating.
Yes

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Fri Mar 01, 2024 5:51 pm

Mick Norris wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2024 5:04 pm
Brendan O'Gorman wrote:
Yes
Fair enough, although it does take only five games against rated opposition to get a rating.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Fri Mar 01, 2024 5:55 pm

Brendan O'Gorman wrote:
The original poster is probably referring to the facts that
a) historically, most players' ECF ratings far exceeded their FIDE ratings, and
b) most ECF ratings in England are based on more games, making them a more accurate measure of playing strength.
I still don't get who are the overrated players, and by which system.

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Fri Mar 01, 2024 6:17 pm

NickFaulks wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2024 5:51 pm
Mick Norris wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2024 5:04 pm
Brendan O'Gorman wrote:
Yes
Fair enough, although it does take only five games against rated opposition to get a rating.
The point I was trying to make, was that I played at the Leyland FIDE Rapidplay on Sunday; FIDE rated 3 games, the ECF rated 5; it doesn't make it right or wrong, but does mean that ECF and FIDE ratings are bound to differ

And yes, my youngest opponent now has a FIDE rapidplay rating, which is a good thing, after playing this event and the NCCU u18 Pennine Cup too, which was also FIDE rated; there's only events run by Dave Clayton in the North West that get FIDE rated though

Lee Bullock

Post by Lee Bullock » Wed Mar 06, 2024 9:32 pm

Thanks for all the comments guys. My original post was addressing some players who were playing rapid events and there fide rapid wasn’t being effected. Even tho they got in via there fide rating. But I may of missed a few players. My original issue was with Michael Inzani. I thought he was getting in via his low fide rating. To low rated events. Then he was only going up in ecf ratings. But I may of made a mistake. Still players getting in via a terrible fide but massive high ecf still really seemed unfair. It should be both ratings. Nobody should have 2200 rapid ecf but 1300/1400 fide. That was my point.
2013/2014 and 16/17 U140 Grand Prix Winner! ;)

2015 and 2016 Chess character of the year :)

Its not a failure to lose. Its a failure when you dont try and win.