Data Quality

General discussions about ratings.
Roger de Coverly

Data Quality

Post by Roger de Coverly » Mon Sep 11, 2023 11:47 am

Is it acceptable for organisers to submit data for ECF rating containing incorrect colours? I say not, if it's just too difficult to get it right for unexplained reasons, renove the colours. It's always been allowed to not submit colours although I regard it as second best.

(edit)
viewtopic.php?p=300328#p300328
(/edit)

Matt Mackenzie

Re: Data Quality

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Mon Sep 11, 2023 3:02 pm

Colours are not relevant to actual ratings, so what is the purpose of including them?
"Set up your attacks so that when the fire is out, it isn't out!" (H N Pillsbury)

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Mon Sep 11, 2023 3:27 pm

Matt Mackenzie wrote:
Mon Sep 11, 2023 3:02 pm
Colours are not relevant to actual ratings, so what is the purpose of including them?
Maintaining a proper historic record. In any case there's a theoretical case for perhaps using colours in the calculation and that's not something that can be investigated without the colours. Also if someone used the rating record to check whether two players had met before, colours are relevant. By the same token that it's not relevant to the calculation, you can throw away the competition, the clubs and the board number.

I would put it this way. If you archive chess results correctly, then using the data for some form of ranking calculation should be straightforward,

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Mon Sep 11, 2023 3:29 pm

Matt Mackenzie wrote:
Well, it's all data and there are periodically suggestions that colours might be taken into account.

Nonetheless, far better not to be reported than reported incorrectly.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

J T Melsom

Post by J T Melsom » Mon Sep 11, 2023 3:49 pm

I play in a county where colours are not recorded, save by one team captain putting the information on his version of the match report. I'm not aware that the issue has been raised formally with the league administrator. It may not be difficult to achieve, but unless the question is put...

Angus French

Post by Angus French » Mon Sep 11, 2023 3:51 pm

I suppose that with colours - and round numbers - you could check that pairings were correct and an event was run in accord with pairing rules.

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Mon Sep 11, 2023 5:10 pm

J T Melsom wrote:
Mon Sep 11, 2023 3:49 pm
I play in a county where colours are not recorded
Are you referring to the Chiltern League by any chance?
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess :D

J T Melsom

Post by J T Melsom » Mon Sep 11, 2023 5:39 pm

John Upham wrote:
Mon Sep 11, 2023 5:10 pm
J T Melsom wrote:
Mon Sep 11, 2023 3:49 pm
I play in a county where colours are not recorded
Are you referring to the Chiltern League by any chance?
No. I don't regularly play in the Chiltern League but the site which hosts those results does record colours. It hosts data from a number of competitions and I suspect that if the larger of those competitions were to report more regularly then others might follow relatively quickly.

Matt Mackenzie

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Mon Sep 11, 2023 6:09 pm

Roger de Coverly wrote:
Mon Sep 11, 2023 3:27 pm
Matt Mackenzie wrote:
Maintaining a proper historic record. In any case there's a theoretical case for perhaps using colours in the calculation and that's not something that can be investigated without the colours. Also if someone used the rating record to check whether two players had met before, colours are relevant. By the same token that it's not relevant to the calculation, you can throw away the competition, the clubs and the board number.

I would put it this way. If you archive chess results correctly, then using the data for some form of ranking calculation should be straightforward,
Well to be clear the above wasn't saying it *shouldn't* be included, but mine has been noted incorrectly in the past more than once.

If you are going to do it, at least get it right.
"Set up your attacks so that when the fire is out, it isn't out!" (H N Pillsbury)