Covid-Related Inflation/Deflation Discussion

General discussions about ratings.
Joey Stewart

Re: Covid-Related Inflation/Deflation Discussion

Post by Joey Stewart » Wed Dec 15, 2021 9:32 am

I see a lot of negatives about making leagues fide rated ( substantially higher costs, need for arbiters, wierd clock times, huge rating disparity, handicap contests become a farce) but what actually are the implied benefits to going this route?
Lose one queen and it is a disaster, Lose 1000 queens and it is just a statistic.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Wed Dec 15, 2021 10:49 am

Why do I have so much difficulty connecting Joey's posts with the real world?
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Wed Dec 15, 2021 11:03 am

NickFaulks wrote:
Thu Dec 02, 2021 9:40 am
MartinCarpenter wrote:
Thu Dec 02, 2021 9:22 am
Even the Cleveland league - rather dying on its feet - featured Hawkins turning up on the odd occasion to help his old club out.
So his game wouldn't be rated. Is that a big problem?
Why do I have so much difficulty connecting some of Nick's ideas with the real world?

Nick, can you name one person outside the FIDE Qualification Commission who does not regard this as undesirable?

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Wed Dec 15, 2021 11:37 am

Yes but if Nakamura were to use some quickie evening games to boost his rating and get into the Candidates, I know that you would think that was fine too. However, as you know because you were at the big meeting where this was discussed and voted on by representatives from around the world, yours is very much a minority view.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Wed Dec 15, 2021 11:39 am

Joey Stewart wrote:
Wed Dec 15, 2021 9:32 am
what actually are the implied benefits to going this route?
Extension of FIDE rating coverage could also apply to weekend tournaments with shorter sessions than four hours. An argument in favour is that more ratied games would enable inproving players, juniors mainly, to more rapidly achieve ratings that reflected their strength, The ECF's implementation of the Elo method has a bias which will increase the ratings of inconsistent junior playeers more quickly than the FIDE implementtation.
Last edited by Roger de Coverly on Wed Dec 15, 2021 12:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Wed Dec 15, 2021 11:42 am

NickFaulks wrote:
Wed Dec 15, 2021 11:37 am
Yes but if Nakamura were to use some quickie evening games to boost his rating and get into the Candidates,
Would it really be too difficult to have an elite only rating list for things like Candidates qualification?

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Wed Dec 15, 2021 12:46 pm

Roger de Coverly wrote:
Wed Dec 15, 2021 11:42 am
Would it really be too difficult to have an elite only rating list for things like Candidates qualification?
Not too difficult, of course, but as always the problems arise when you get into details. There would be arbitrary cutoffs and some people would inevitably feel badly treated.

In any case, there is a general feeling that top players have enough different ratings already, and nobody wants to explain which is the "right" one.

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Wed Dec 15, 2021 1:18 pm

NickFaulks wrote:
Wed Dec 15, 2021 11:37 am
Yes but if Nakamura were to use some quickie evening games to boost his rating and get into the Candidates, I know that you would think that was fine too. However, as you know because you were at the big meeting where this was discussed and voted on by representatives from around the world, yours is very much a minority view.
My objection is not to restricting tournaments of less than four hours' duration to players U2400.

It is to allowing players 2400 and above to play in such tournaments but then omitting their games from rating.

I repeat: Can you name one person outside the FIDE Qualification Commission who does not regard this as undesirable?

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Wed Dec 15, 2021 9:43 pm

David Sedgwick wrote:
Wed Dec 15, 2021 1:18 pm
My objection is not to restricting tournaments of less than four hours' duration to players U2400.
You may not object to weekend congresses and evening leagues barring >2400 players, but you will be one of the very few who don't. It is obvious that if this were a requirement for FIDE rating, these events would simply continue not to be rated. That is probably what would happen under any rules.