Page 1 of 1
Online Ratings and the Cheating Conundrum
Posted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 12:59 am
by Paul McKeown
Hi,
On several occasions I have been on the verge of having Richmond Juniors online events rated, and have given thought to re-starting the Richmond Rapidplays online.
However, on each occasion, I have come quickly to a halt, as (and again it is quite possible that I haven't paid attention in class) I have no idea what to do in the event of a player having been warned by a server or banned for conduct unbecoming.
I have Swiss Manager files going back to April 2020 with perhaps several thousands of games run under competition conditions that could be rated, but I know of two players in those tournaments who received server bans. I have no idea what to do with their records.
Any sensible advice here would be greatly appreciated.
Moreover I have read in the past about some tool which organisers and arbiters are supposed to have access to in order to flag this sort of thing up. Again any guidance would be appreciated.
Re: Online Ratings and the Cheating Conundrum
Posted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 9:36 am
by Matthew Turner
Paul,
I would recommend that you have a chat with Nigel Towers and I think he should be able to address most of your queries.
Re: Online Ratings and the Cheating Conundrum
Posted: Sun Jun 27, 2021 8:17 am
by AndrewBanks
Paul McKeown wrote: ↑Fri Feb 26, 2021 12:59 am
On several occasions I have been on the verge of having Richmond Juniors online events rated, and have given thought to re-starting the Richmond Rapidplays online.
In our household, in the eternal battle of more screen-time, chess took a backseat to Roblox...
But I do hope that, as restrictions are lifted, you'll be able to restart the OTB RapidPlays soon

Re: Online Ratings and the Cheating Conundrum
Posted: Mon Jun 28, 2021 6:20 pm
by Paul McKeown
AndrewBanks wrote: ↑Sun Jun 27, 2021 8:17 am
Paul McKeown wrote: ↑Fri Feb 26, 2021 12:59 am
On several occasions I have been on the verge of having Richmond Juniors online events rated, and have given thought to re-starting the Richmond Rapidplays online.
In our household, in the eternal battle of more screen-time, chess took a backseat to Roblox...
But I do hope that, as restrictions are lifted, you'll be able to restart the OTB RapidPlays soon
Andrew,
Richmond Juniors hopes to run the following events live:
- Tuesday 3 August - Friday 6 August - Summer Camp Week 1
- Sunday 8 August - Richmond Rapidplay RR132
- Monday 9 August - Friday 13 August - Summer Camp Week 1
- Saturdays 11 September - 4 December, except 23 October - Richmond Junior Chess Club
- Saturday 16 October - Hampton LJCC Qualifier
- Sunday 17 October - Richmond Rapidplay RR133
- Saturday 4 December - Twickenham LJCC Qualifier
- Saturday 18 December - RB13 - Rik Thomas Memorial
Please note that these dates remain tentative, depending on the progress of lifting of the government's Covid-19 restrictions, but we are accepting returnable 25% deposits.
Please also note that we intend the RB13 Rik Memorial Blitz on the Saturday before Christmas to be a big event with a large prize fund. We anticipate a £600 first prize for this event, and hope it will achieve national significance.
Re: Online Ratings and the Cheating Conundrum
Posted: Tue Jul 20, 2021 12:10 pm
by AndrewBanks
Dates all noted, thanks Paul. Hopefully will see you for the two RRs - unfortunately, Saturdays are already booked with Dance/Ballet
And no, not for me

Re: Online Ratings and the Cheating Conundrum
Posted: Wed Sep 29, 2021 5:39 pm
by AndrewBanks
Paul McKeown wrote: ↑Mon Jun 28, 2021 6:20 pm
Richmond Juniors hopes to run the following events live:
- Sunday 17 October - Richmond Rapidplay RR133
Hi Paul, is this confirmed?
Re: Online Ratings and the Cheating Conundrum
Posted: Fri Oct 29, 2021 2:09 am
by Paul McKeown
Sorry Andrew - we will be getting restarted with the Rapidplays in February 2022. The Blitz is going ahead - see the next post!