The new Monthly grades are out

General discussions about ratings.
Nick Grey

Re: The new Monthly grades are out

Post by Nick Grey » Sat Sep 12, 2020 5:41 pm

Will give us years of fun .ECF is not the same as FIDE. Slow play not the same as rapid play. Or online. Snakes and Ladders is ok.
And all for the same price. Interesting if stays static for 42 measuring periods.

Dragoljub Sudar

Post by Dragoljub Sudar » Sun Sep 13, 2020 12:41 am

Where no colour exists in the Games List for a player in the Grading Database, the Rating Database either assigns a colour randomly for weekend events or assigns white to all the home team players for league matches (I do like the feature which brings up the actual league results for the season when you click on the Event for the individual game result).
This means that the colour is wrong for many of my Notts League and Notts County Championship games.
Can the system be changed to leave the colour blank where not originally supplied, or does the system need to assign a colour?

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Sun Sep 13, 2020 2:10 am

Dragoljub Sudar wrote:
Sun Sep 13, 2020 12:41 am
Can the system be changed to leave the colour blank where not originally supplied, or does the system need to assign a colour?
It was a weakness in the specification back in the 1990s for collection of results for grading that it made the recording of white/black optional rather than mandatory. That may well be the case going forward as I don't think League Management Systems will collect it either if they are built from the notional grading requirement.

MJMcCready

Post by MJMcCready » Sun Sep 27, 2020 4:10 am

Gives will always be of secondary importance at most. Titles and the self belief to understand what is right in front of you is more than enough, more than enough by far. Some silly number that changes is pointless. But then I would say that for I am not a number, I am a free man.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Fri Oct 02, 2020 5:13 pm

By chance I found the ECF's calculation display. With so little OTB chess being played, there would only be a handful of players.

Here's an example
https://www.ecfrating.org.uk/v2/new/rob ... 9&domain=S

Nick Grey

Post by Nick Grey » Sun Oct 04, 2020 8:07 pm

So your k's in the new system is a problem?

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Sun Oct 04, 2020 8:15 pm

Nick Grey wrote:
Sun Oct 04, 2020 8:07 pm
So your k's in the new system is a problem?
I don't see why. The main point is that there's an audit report showing which results have been included and how the rating change has been calculated. Junior k is different to the FIDE version.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Sat Jul 31, 2021 9:08 pm

With the processing of the recent 4NCL Congress now available on both the FIDE and ECF systems, it's possible to make a comparison. My personal result of 2 from 5 resulted in a one point gain on the ECF measurement and a four point loss under FIDE. Thus an existing gap of 100 points widens to 105 points. All my five opponents had ratings on both systems.

Nick Burrows

Post by Nick Burrows » Sat Jul 31, 2021 9:28 pm

I gained 23 ECF and 21.6 Fide

Nick Burrows

Post by Nick Burrows » Mon Aug 09, 2021 6:53 pm

Are congresses likely to use the monthly ratings, if not - why?

Adam Raoof

Post by Adam Raoof » Mon Aug 09, 2021 7:00 pm

I am really impressed with the new rating system, and I love the way it ties in with Swiss Manager and how easy it now is to submit events for ECF rating.

At the moment I think using the Original rating is more useful for events where players want to enter rating limited sections. For events like the current Golders Green where we are having one section and the ratings are used for seeding and for rating prizes it might be better to use the most recent ratings available ("Revised"?).

However there are not many events around with one Open section...
Adam Raoof IA, IO
Chess England Events - https://chessengland.com/
The Chess Circuit - https://chesscircuit.substack.com/
Don’t stop playing chess!

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Mon Aug 09, 2021 7:13 pm

Adam Raoof wrote:
Mon Aug 09, 2021 7:00 pm
At the moment I think using the Original rating is more useful for events where players want to enter rating limited sections. For events like the current Golders Green where we are having one section and the ratings are used for seeding and for rating prizes it might be better to use the most recent ratings available ("Revised"?).
What's the definition of "Original" and "Revised"? Is it that "Original" is the rating published on the first of the month and "Revised" is what it changed to if late results had been submitted?

If using "Original", particularly for section eligibility and rating prizes, surely organisers will have to do what they already do with FIDE ratings, namely specify which month is to be used? Leagues will have similar problems.

Nick Grey

Post by Nick Grey » Wed Aug 11, 2021 9:16 pm

Leagues if teams players games and captains are down less chess.

Matt Bridgeman

Post by Matt Bridgeman » Sun Oct 31, 2021 9:51 am

Are off-camera 4NCL Online games now being included in the main over the board ECF ratings? If that’s correct isn’t that a bit risky in that there are certainly players in circulation out there happily beating the current off-camera cheating protections.

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Sun Oct 31, 2021 10:01 am

Matt Bridgeman wrote:
Sun Oct 31, 2021 9:51 am
Are off-camera 4NCL Online games now being included in the main over the board ECF ratings? If that’s correct isn’t that a bit risky in that there are certainly players in circulation out there happily beating the current off-camera cheating protections.
Others will confirm. but I don't think that any Online games are eligible for inclusion in ECF OTB ratings. Hybrid games can be included.