Master Points System

General discussions about ratings.
Matt Chapman

Master Points System

Post by Matt Chapman » Sun Jul 26, 2020 12:37 am

Perhaps there is not a lot of love for this system, but I am wondering if it is continuing into the Elo era, and if so what the requirements will be. Does anybody have any insight? It's possible that there will just be a direct conversion of the thresholds following Elo = ECF*7.5 + 700. Although, I'm not sure the requirements for Regional Master and National Master "in two successive seasons" make much sense with an Elo style monthly system.

Brian Valentine

Re: Master Points System

Post by Brian Valentine » Sun Jul 26, 2020 8:45 am

Adrian Elwin and I have agreed that we will look at an appropriate set of comparable standards when the new rating system is up and running.

Brian Valentine
Manager of ECF rating

Joey Stewart

Post by Joey Stewart » Mon Jul 27, 2020 3:12 pm

The other thing I kind of wish is that it did not require an "A" rating to get a master title as it then becomes very elitist and a case of who can afford to spend thousands a year on weekend chess holidays, as it is impossible to get 30 games in a half season just playing in your local area and if we switch to monthly ratings it will be even less so.
Lose one queen and it is a disaster, Lose 1000 queens and it is just a statistic.

Tim Spanton

Post by Tim Spanton » Mon Jul 27, 2020 5:37 pm

Surely monthly ratings will be based on games played over the past year not the past month?