Page 1 of 1

ECFgrading SSL

Posted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 1:07 pm
by AndrewBanks
Maybe not the right place to post this, but I note that the SSL certificate for ECFgrading.org.uk has expired (valid to 14-Mar-2019)

As such, I'm getting warnings from my browser...

Re: ECFgrading SSL

Posted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 4:27 pm
by Andrew Walker
This reply from Dave Thomas, via Andrew Walker in the ECF office ---

The SSL certificate is used to encrypt data transmitted between the user and the web site. There is no facility for confidential data to be passed between the user and the grading website - therefore using HTTPS (and thereby accessing the SSL certificate) is simply an unnecessary performance hit.
The warning only appears if a user enters the wrong URL - the correct URL is http://ecfgrading.org.uk, not https://ecfgrading.org.uk

Re: ECFgrading SSL

Posted: Fri Aug 30, 2019 7:32 am
by AndrewBanks
Thanks for the reply :-)

I understand the sentiment, but...
The warning only appears if a user enters the wrong URL
Not true... you get a "Not secure" flag in Chrome, if you use http://www.ecfgrading.org.uk

https://www.blog.google/products/chrome ... ot-secure/

Re: ECFgrading SSL

Posted: Fri Aug 30, 2019 8:09 am
by LawrenceCooper
AndrewBanks wrote: ↑
Fri Aug 30, 2019 7:32 am
Thanks for the reply :-)

I understand the sentiment, but...
The warning only appears if a user enters the wrong URL
Not true... you get a "Not secure" flag in Chrome, if you use http://www.ecfgrading.org.uk

https://www.blog.google/products/chrome ... ot-secure/
I'm using Chrome and the former address works fine but the latter one produces the warning. I've no idea why it's different on your computer though.

Re: ECFgrading SSL

Posted: Fri Aug 30, 2019 9:40 am
by Mick Norris
I use Chrome; if I go into the ECF website (which doesn't produce a warning) and then click on Grading, I get into the grading site and Chrome has it as Not secure

I'm not certain, but I think it has been that way for a while, not just because of the latest Windows update

Re: ECFgrading SSL

Posted: Sat Aug 31, 2019 10:21 am
by Carl Hibbard
Andrew Walker wrote: ↑
Thu Aug 08, 2019 4:27 pm
This reply from Dave Thomas, via Andrew Walker in the ECF office ---

The SSL certificate is used to encrypt data transmitted between the user and the web site. There is no facility for confidential data to be passed between the user and the grading website - therefore using HTTPS (and thereby accessing the SSL certificate) is simply an unnecessary performance hit.
The warning only appears if a user enters the wrong URL - the correct URL is http://ecfgrading.org.uk, not https://ecfgrading.org.uk
Not really an excuse to be honest with full SSL just the way things are going browser wise and clearly it should be fixed.