Page 1 of 1

Grading Limits - Old -> New

Posted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 9:37 am
by Michael Bennett
Hi there - I have a question for our forum statisticians if you're able to help...

Q. For 'old grade' limits U100, U125, U130 and U160 in tournaments or leagues, what would be sensible new grade limits? I'm specifically interested in these limits as they are present in leagues and tournaments I participate in.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can advise on this.

Re: Grading Limits - Old -> New

Posted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 10:00 am
by Alex Holowczak
I have the entry forms for two tournaments in front of me. One has gone from 90/120/160/200 to 120/150/175/210. The other has gone from 90/120/160/Open to 125/150/175/Open. That would suggest somewhere in the region of 125/150/160/175 for your four section limits.

Re: Grading Limits - Old -> New

Posted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 10:02 am
by John Upham
There should be three new sets of rating limits :

1. Adults who were rated last season
2. Adults who were unrated
3. Juniors regardless of rating history :D

Re: Grading Limits - Old -> New

Posted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 10:05 am
by Matthew Turner
I would endorse the comments of the previous two contributors. Alex probably has given the best possible grading limits. However, in some cases there is a serious disconnect between different groups of players.

Re: Grading Limits - Old -> New

Posted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 10:10 am
by Dean Madden
The average increases are:
Adult New Grade = 0.81 x Old Grade + 43
Junior New Grade = 0.84 x Old Grade + 45

Re: Grading Limits - Old -> New

Posted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 11:23 am
by Michael Bennett
Thanks to everyone for your advice!