Grade File Checker

General discussions about ratings.
Steve Emmerton

Grade File Checker

Post by Steve Emmerton » Tue Jun 11, 2019 12:01 pm

Does anybody else have the same problem that I am experiencing? I am running a 64Bit Windows 10 system and when I run my Excel grading file (generated by the League Mgt System) through the grade checker program I keep getting "Error 91 - Object Variable Or With Block Variable Not Set". When I run the same Excel file through the grade checker program on a Windows XP or Windows 7 system it works like a dream. I should add that the Windows 7 and Windows XP systems were 32Bit so I am wondering if that could be the problem. Unfortunately I do not have a 32Bit Windows 10 system that I can test this on.

Nigel White

Re: Grade File Checker

Post by Nigel White » Tue Jun 11, 2019 12:28 pm

I use 64-bit Windows 10 and have not had any problems with the file checker. I generate my Excel files manually, rather than using the LMS software.

Brian Towers

Post by Brian Towers » Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:50 pm

Steve, Windows 10 (and 8 and 8.1 for that matter) will let you run a Windows 7 program on it if you tell it to by setting the compatibility mode for the program. If you have a shortcut set up on the desktop for the program then you can get to this by right clicking on the shortcut and selecting "Properties". One of the tabs in the pop-up window which appears will be called "Compatibility". Actually I'm doing this on Windows 8.1 (I resisted all blandishments to "upgrade") so it might be slightly different on W10 but the principle applies and will still be the same.
Ah, but I was so much older then. I'm younger than that now.

Steve Emmerton

Post by Steve Emmerton » Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:23 pm

I've already tried that - running it in compatiblity mode for Win XP/7/8 - all with the same result.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:14 pm

Steve Emmerton wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:23 pm
I've already tried that - running it in compatiblity mode for Win XP/7/8 - all with the same result.
I think others have reported that they have had to keep an ageing computer in commission purely to run ECF grading software.

Adam Raoof

Post by Adam Raoof » Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:45 pm

Roger de Coverly wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:14 pm
Steve Emmerton wrote:
I think others have reported that they have had to keep an ageing computer in commission purely to run ECF grading software.
Well thank goodness, I should never have a problem...
Adam Raoof IA, IO
Chess England Events - https://chessengland.com/
The Chess Circuit - https://chesscircuit.substack.com/
Don’t stop playing chess!

Julie Denning

Post by Julie Denning » Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:00 pm

Roger de Coverly wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:14 pm
Steve Emmerton wrote:
I've reported having to keep an XP computer running for the old ECF League program, but Checker has always run successfully on each iteration of Windows I've had up to and including 10.

Angus French

Post by Angus French » Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:13 pm

Steve, I have a vague recollection the Checker program requires Excel to be installed. If it's not that could be the issue. Anyway, I wondered if you'd tried contacting Howard Grist who wrote the app and whose details, at least in my version, can be found through Help -> About? Or, have you tried contacting the Grading team?

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:25 pm

If you Google the error message it finds a Microsoft support page. Whether that page makes any sense in practice is another matter.

Howard Grist

Post by Howard Grist » Thu Jun 13, 2019 12:32 am

Steve,

I suspect that the issue is that something has happened to your club/master list files rather than any of the other things that have been mentioned here. I would suggest that you download these again and try checking the file again. Feel free to contact me directly as per Angus's suggestion.
Former ECF Grading System Programmer

Adam Raoof

Post by Adam Raoof » Thu Jun 13, 2019 12:18 pm

If anyone out there needs help with Swiss Manager, there is an FAQ here

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1bX4 ... sp=sharing

and I will try to update this regularly with your feedback!
Adam Raoof IA, IO
Chess England Events - https://chessengland.com/
The Chess Circuit - https://chesscircuit.substack.com/
Don’t stop playing chess!

Steve Emmerton

Post by Steve Emmerton » Tue Jun 18, 2019 11:40 pm

With regard to some of the earlier replies - Yes, I have Excel 2007 installed and Yes, I have downloaded the latest Club and Master Files. None of this has made any difference to my problem. I have also tried it on several other Windows 10 PC's and all of them gave me the same problem. Luckily I have an old XP machine so I'll just carry on using that.

Michael Flatt

Post by Michael Flatt » Wed Jun 19, 2019 12:29 pm

Steve Emmerton wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 12:01 pm
Does anybody else have the same problem that I am experiencing? I am running a 64Bit Windows 10 system and when I run my Excel grading file (generated by the League Mgt System) through the grade checker program I keep getting "Error 91 - Object Variable Or With Block Variable Not Set". When I run the same Excel file through the grade checker program on a Windows XP or Windows 7 system it works like a dream. I should add that the Windows 7 and Windows XP systems were 32Bit so I am wondering if that could be the problem. Unfortunately I do not have a 32Bit Windows 10 system that I can test this on.
There probably isn't anything wrong with the BCF Grade File Checker program since no other users, as far as I am aware, have experienced this sort of problem.

The BCF Checker program works perfectly satisfactory without having Microsoft Excel installed, at least on my machine. Excel is only required if your grading file is in the form of a spreadsheet and you need to edit it. If you don't have Excel the BCF Checker does provide a means of editing the source data file, but it can be quite tedious if there are many corrections to make.

There is most likely something wrong with your Windows 10 installation.
1. Is your Windows 10 fully up to date?
2. A Google search identifies quite a few websites that give assistance to explain and overcome Error 91.
Last edited by Michael Flatt on Wed Jun 19, 2019 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Wed Jun 19, 2019 12:54 pm

"There is most likely something wrong with your Windows 10 installation."

That's almost certain - every time, I get a Windows update I know there will be another one, two or maybe three updates to correct all the things they have fouled up!

Steve Emmerton

Post by Steve Emmerton » Wed Jun 19, 2019 11:17 pm

Nothing wrong with my Windows 10 installation and I have encountered the same problem when attempting to run it on several other Windows 10 machines. I have also run it with the Excel installed box both checked and unchecked.