Duplication of results

General discussions about ratings.
Roger de Coverly

Duplication of results

Post by Roger de Coverly » Wed Dec 22, 2021 1:47 pm

With the migration of result reporting to the ECF's LMS, what, if any, safeguards prevent a result being reported twice? That's other than the vigilence of the players or club officials involved and in the context of a result being reported both the old fashioned way and using the new LMS facility.

John Upham

Re: Duplication of results

Post by John Upham » Wed Dec 22, 2021 2:34 pm

Roger de Coverly wrote:
Wed Dec 22, 2021 1:47 pm
With the migration of result reporting to the ECF's LMS, what, if any, safeguards prevent a result being reported twice? That's other than the vigilence of the players or club officials involved and in the context of a result being reported both the old fashioned way and using the new LMS facility.
It surprises me that the checks and balances of the rating system do not extend to games being played by the same pairs of players on the same date with the same colours and same results.

Even more so when entire matches of multiple boards are being reported.

Does the rating system not flag these instances as requiring further investigation?
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess :D

Brian Valentine

Post by Brian Valentine » Wed Dec 22, 2021 5:33 pm

The system is not foolproof, but there are safeguards . If a submitter sends in an identical result they will get a warning before they can commit a result. In a world where we rate blitz it is plausible that players can play each other twice in the same event. The LMS has tighter systems. The final safeguard is the diligence of players reporting a duplication.

Brian Valentine
Manager ECF rating

IM Jack Rudd

Post by IM Jack Rudd » Wed Dec 22, 2021 6:11 pm

I've had four evenings this autumn where I've had two games against the same player with the same colours. But not in the same event.

(My club has both a standardplay and a rapidplay club championship, and those four occasions have all been "standardplay game has finished quickly, and we've then played the rapidplay games".)

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Wed Dec 22, 2021 11:19 pm

"standardplay game has finished quickly, and we've then played the rapidplay games".

Knowing Jack, that happens every time!