Frequency of League Result Reporting

General discussions about ratings.
John Upham

Re: Frequency of League Result Reporting

Post by John Upham » Tue Oct 19, 2021 6:29 pm

Neill Cooper wrote:
Tue Oct 19, 2021 6:09 pm
Are those of us who were 'graders' now 'raters'? Or is there a better term?
Rating Officer seems most appropriate unless you want to adopt the recent cricketing change from batsman to batter.
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess :D

Steve Lloyd

Post by Steve Lloyd » Tue Oct 19, 2021 6:33 pm

I grade (or rate?) the Wirral League and the Chester & District League (which isn't planning on resuming until at least Jan 2022. I'm also currently grading the internal games of two clubs. My intention is to submit results at the end of every month. I'm not using the ECF LMS.

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Tue Oct 19, 2021 6:40 pm

Steve Lloyd wrote:
Tue Oct 19, 2021 6:33 pm
I grade (or rate?) the Wirral League and the Chester & District League (which isn't planning on resuming until at least Jan 2022. I'm also currently grading the internal games of two clubs. My intention is to submit results at the end of every month. I'm not using the ECF LMS.
Are you using Swiss Master, Swiss Manager, UTU Swiss or creating the lovely old .txt file and emailing it Matthew Carr?

Steve Lloyd

Post by Steve Lloyd » Tue Oct 19, 2021 7:23 pm

John Upham wrote:
Tue Oct 19, 2021 6:40 pm
Are you using Swiss Master, Swiss Manager, UTU Swiss or creating the lovely old .txt file and emailing it Matthew Carr?
I've built the websites for both leagues and I've included an option that lets me generate a txt file, which I'll then upload into ecfrating.

For internal club results, I'm getting them to enter results into an excel spreadsheet that I've shared from OneDrive. I can then convert that into a format that is readable by the system.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Tue Oct 19, 2021 7:33 pm

Steve Lloyd wrote:
Tue Oct 19, 2021 7:23 pm
I've built the websites for both leagues and I've included an option that lets me generate a txt file, which I'll then upload into ecfrating.
One of the reporting problems is how codes are created for totally new players, particularly in avoiding duplication. How is that resolved?

Angus French

Post by Angus French » Tue Oct 19, 2021 8:02 pm

Roger de Coverly wrote:
Tue Oct 19, 2021 7:33 pm
Steve Lloyd wrote:
Tue Oct 19, 2021 7:23 pm
One of the reporting problems is how codes are created for totally new players, particularly in avoiding duplication. How is that resolved?
How are duplicate player codes avoided with the ECF LMS?

Malcolm Peacock

Post by Malcolm Peacock » Thu Oct 21, 2021 5:35 pm

When the LMS submits a grading file (as when anyone does it manually), it will be rejected if a player does not have a grading code, and the grader can log into the grading system (or rating system) and request a new code. Or if they are not a grader then eventually the grading administrator will notice and create a new code. So duplicates are avoided if Matt notices. There is a report within the LMS that can be used to look for them, but that relies on the organiser being proactive, so its not ideal really.

Ian Thompson

Post by Ian Thompson » Thu Oct 21, 2021 7:33 pm

Malcolm Peacock wrote:
Thu Oct 21, 2021 5:35 pm
When the LMS submits a grading file (as when anyone does it manually), it will be rejected if a player does not have a grading code, and the grader can log into the grading system (or rating system) and request a new code.
That's not the full processing though, is it? When I was trying it out to understand how it worked, I deliberately removed the grading code from some existing players in my submission file. There appears to be some automatic matching being done where an existing grading code will be used if a new player's name and club in the submission file match an existing player's details in the rating database.

Malcolm Peacock

Post by Malcolm Peacock » Sat Oct 23, 2021 3:19 pm

Yes, that it correct, although I can't remember if they went straight through or if you or the grading administrator had to approve it.

Andrew Zigmond

Post by Andrew Zigmond » Tue Nov 02, 2021 11:52 am

Apologies if this has already been asked but how long does it take for data captured on LMS to enter the ECF database? I frequently receive the submission notification for the events I run but it seems to take a while for the games to appear on the grading website.

Also I'm assuming the auto submission works the same way as the manual submission used to; in that an amended form overwrites the old one. For example the second round of the Harrogate internal competition was played last night - I've imputted the results I know but a couple of games were still in play when I left and one won't be played for a couple of weeks. I'm assuming it will all come together as a whole.
Controller - Yorkshire League
Chairman - Harrogate Chess Club
All views expressed entirely my own

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Tue Nov 02, 2021 4:29 pm

The MCF grader has told me this afternoon "LMS sends the results weekly and sends me an email report on every submission"

I can see that matches played last week have been rated already on the ECF list
Any postings on here represent my personal views

Roger Lancaster

Post by Roger Lancaster » Wed Nov 17, 2021 6:02 pm

Mick Norris wrote:
Tue Nov 02, 2021 4:29 pm
The MCF grader has told me this afternoon "LMS sends the results weekly and sends me an email report on every submission"

I can see that matches played last week have been rated already on the ECF list
I believe the LMS submissions are processed at 0200 hours on 7, 14, 21 and 28th day of each month.

Paul Dupré

Post by Paul Dupré » Tue Mar 08, 2022 10:58 am

John Upham wrote:
Mon Oct 18, 2021 12:57 pm
I'm told that the SCCA Rating Officer was not able to attend the AGM and therefore this matter did not get discussed.

As Ian hints I'm pretty sure that there are leagues that are storing up problems for themselves.
Who you talking about John ?
Any postings on here represent the truth, and nothing but the truth, so help me God,
...and by the way the world is flat.

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Tue Mar 08, 2022 11:35 am

Paul Dupré wrote:
Tue Mar 08, 2022 10:58 am
John Upham wrote:
Mon Oct 18, 2021 12:57 pm
I'm told that the SCCA Rating Officer was not able to attend the AGM and therefore this matter did not get discussed.

As Ian hints I'm pretty sure that there are leagues that are storing up problems for themselves.
Who you talking about John ?
I don't know who the current SCCA Rating Officer is but I seem to recall that MG told me that the RO could not attend the meeting.

Is this incorrect Paul?

Paul Dupré

Post by Paul Dupré » Tue Mar 08, 2022 12:25 pm

I was there and submitted a report, stating that monthly frequency was my intention.

...and I have held up my promise.
Any postings on here represent the truth, and nothing but the truth, so help me God,
...and by the way the world is flat.