MCCU AGM Sat 25 June 2016

A forum for the Midland Counties Chess Union.
Mick Norris

MCCU AGM Sat 25 June 2016

Post by Mick Norris » Tue Jun 28, 2016 12:41 pm

The MCF rep went, and has reported that Drag Sudar beat Dave Levens in an election for Junior Director - good to see a contested election, and wish Drag lots of luck, hopefully unlike his predecessor, he'll actually realise that Notts isn't the centre of the MCCU, and that G Man is actually still in the MCCU :roll:

Drag stands down as non-exec to be replaced by Eunice Dolan

I gather the Rule changes went through with small amendments, no doubt the MCCU website will elaborate
Any postings on here represent my personal views

Dragoljub Sudar

Re: MCCU AGM Sat 25 June 2016

Post by Dragoljub Sudar » Tue Jun 28, 2016 3:15 pm

Mick, thank you for your best wishes but whoever told you that has got his facts wrong.

I didn't attend the meeting but have been informed by the MCCU CEO Ray Dolan that Andrew Davies from Staffs was elected in place of David Levens.

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Tue Jun 28, 2016 9:40 pm

OK, trouble with MCCU meetings is they all fail to introduce themselves to new delegates

I wish Andrew luck, and my previous comments apply

I'd rather have you as NED than another Dolan, however good she might be, conflict of interest is presumably obvious?
Any postings on here represent my personal views

David Blower

Post by David Blower » Mon Jul 18, 2016 9:00 pm

I am biased, but I think Andrew will be excellent at the job. He is the best club secretary (I'm the club chairman at Brewood, and Andrew is the club secretary at Brewood) the amount of things he does for the club (often at my request, at less than 48 hours notice) is amazing.

And he does have a very good attendance at Brewood (his local OTB chess club) despite all the other things he does (some of which of course I do not know about.)

This is a very small example, but tomorrow evening (Tuesday 19th July 2016) he will be explaining to a 16 year old how to do chess notation. This will be with the eventual aim in mind of us playing him in the teams next season from September onwards.

Neil Graham

Post by Neil Graham » Thu Jul 21, 2016 11:59 am

David Blower wrote:I am biased, but I think Andrew will be excellent at the job. He is the best club secretary (I'm the club chairman at Brewood, and Andrew is the club secretary at Brewood) the amount of things he does for the club (often at my request, at less than 48 hours notice) is amazing.

And he does have a very good attendance at Brewood (his local OTB chess club) despite all the other things he does (some of which of course I do not know about.)

This is a very small example, but tomorrow evening (Tuesday 19th July 2016) he will be explaining to a 16 year old how to do chess notation. This will be with the eventual aim in mind of us playing him in the teams next season from September onwards.
I remember in another thread that you complained about the situation with the Staffordshire U100 team - I trust that you have now applied for and been given the job of running this side in 2016/17 ? Perhaps we can also hear about the Staffordshire first team?

David Blower

Post by David Blower » Tue Jul 26, 2016 11:01 pm

Impossible for me to do the job, (I work on Saturdays) but it still remains true that I would like to see an active Staffordshire under 100 team, and if there is anything that I can do to make that possible I will help.

Neil Graham

Post by Neil Graham » Thu Jul 28, 2016 12:33 am

David Blower wrote:Impossible for me to do the job, (I work on Saturdays) but it still remains true that I would like to see an active Staffordshire under 100 team, and if there is anything that I can do to make that possible I will help.
David - in order to "do the job" you don't have to be there. The bulk of the administration is determining eligibility, contacting players, selecting a team, arranging transport and/or venues. Providing all this is done satisfactorily all the captain has to do on the day is exchange team lists and toss a coin. With your current grade you wouldn't be able to play in an Under 100 team anyway. Have Staffordshire held their AGM; have they sorted out a captain for this year?

David Pardoe

Post by David Pardoe » Fri Jul 29, 2016 12:03 pm

Neil Graham wrote:
David Blower wrote:Impossible for me to do the job, (I work on Saturdays) but it still remains true that I would like to see an active Staffordshire under 100 team, and if there is anything that I can do to make that possible I will help.
David - in order to "do the job" you don't have to be there. The bulk of the administration is determining eligibility, contacting players, selecting a team, arranging transport and/or venues. Providing all this is done satisfactorily all the captain has to do on the day is exchange team lists and toss a coin. With your current grade you wouldn't be able to play in an Under 100 team anyway. Have Staffordshire held their AGM; have they sorted out a captain for this year?
Agreed your comments Neil..
And it would be good to see Staffs re-enter a U160 team and an Open team once more.
AS you`ve said previously, finding a captain is the key point.. Staffs have a slight logistical issue being a bigger county. Co-ordinating between Stoke in the north and Walsall in the south, probably makes Stafford a reasonable half way house. But they have bags of potential. I`d always advocate having a joint 2-man captain and vice captain arrangement... and with the info available on league, club, and county websites, its a lot easier these days for captains to contact players and clubs.
I think that the previous year the MCCU had issues caused by a glut of teams entering the U140 section. This probably meant that teams were stretched to complete the fixtures, and that might have led to some team captains backing out.. If some way could be found to balance these entries across other sections, it might help. I`ve advocated in the past that the Counties events should revert back to the previous 25 point grading boundaries, which would help captains and offer more player choice.
My guiding rules as captain were always to try to select those who were keen to play. But the main drivers are always to try to ensure that fixtures are played, and that a full compliment of players turned out for matches. It is vital to try to avoid defaulting boards, although sometimes this cant be avoided, particularly where late withdrawals occur.
Incidentally, when you said previously about my agreeing your concerns, my comments also referred to the wider picture.. hence my reference to Merseyside, etc..
It really is about participating in my book.. these county 16 board events offer some great Saturday afternoon chess fayre and camaraderie in my view, for players who are able to participate.
BRING BACK THE BCF

Neil Graham

Post by Neil Graham » Sun Aug 28, 2016 2:43 pm

David Pardoe wrote:
Neil Graham wrote:
Agreed your comments Neil..
And it would be good to see Staffs re-enter a U160 team and an Open team once more.
AS you`ve said previously, finding a captain is the key point.. Staffs have a slight logistical issue being a bigger county. Co-ordinating between Stoke in the north and Walsall in the south, probably makes Stafford a reasonable half way house. But they have bags of potential. I`d always advocate having a joint 2-man captain and vice captain arrangement... and with the info available on league, club, and county websites, its a lot easier these days for captains to contact players and clubs.
I think that the previous year the MCCU had issues caused by a glut of teams entering the U140 section. This probably meant that teams were stretched to complete the fixtures, and that might have led to some team captains backing out.. If some way could be found to balance these entries across other sections, it might help. I`ve advocated in the past that the Counties events should revert back to the previous 25 point grading boundaries, which would help captains and offer more player choice.
My guiding rules as captain were always to try to select those who were keen to play. But the main drivers are always to try to ensure that fixtures are played, and that a full compliment of players turned out for matches. It is vital to try to avoid defaulting boards, although sometimes this cant be avoided, particularly where late withdrawals occur.
Incidentally, when you said previously about my agreeing your concerns, my comments also referred to the wider picture.. hence my reference to Merseyside, etc..
It really is about participating in my book.. these county 16 board events offer some great Saturday afternoon chess fayre and camaraderie in my view, for players who are able to participate.
The final date for entry into the MCCU stages of the Counties Championship is just coming up (August 30th). The Leicestershire CA website says that they won't be entering an U160 or U140 team unless they can find a captain. It doesn't mention an U120 team but there was no Leics U120 team last year. I have looked at the number of graded players in Leicestershire - there are at least 40 eligible players for all the above competitions. Leicestershire is just one example - replace by any other county (Manchester for example) and you will find not a lack of players but a lack of organisers. Without going through David Pardoe's last post point by point changing the system to say 25 points will not solve the problem of a lack of captains.

MartinCarpenter

Post by MartinCarpenter » Sun Aug 28, 2016 6:53 pm

Should help with that I think? Less competitions == less need for captains. Huge drawbacks too of course.

Neil Graham

Post by Neil Graham » Sun Aug 28, 2016 8:21 pm

MartinCarpenter wrote:Should help with that I think? Less competitions == less need for captains. Huge drawbacks too of course.
Of course if you are in the NCCU you don't play any county matches anyway so playing less county matches is fairly pointless.