U140, U120 & U100

A forum for the Midland Counties Chess Union.
Neil Graham

Re: U140, U120 & U100

Post by Neil Graham » Thu Mar 03, 2016 1:44 pm

David Blower wrote:I'm just very pleased that Staffordshire Under 100's have got through with the win against Leicestershire.

So it looks most likely that an away match against Essex will be for us in the Quarter Final. (Although I guess we will insist on a neutral venue, at some point half way between the two places.)
I regret to say that Staffordshire have defaulted the U100 match against Nottinghamshire with less than three days notice.

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Thu Mar 03, 2016 8:26 pm

Neil Graham wrote:
David Blower wrote:I'm just very pleased that Staffordshire Under 100's have got through with the win against Leicestershire.

So it looks most likely that an away match against Essex will be for us in the Quarter Final. (Although I guess we will insist on a neutral venue, at some point half way between the two places.)
I regret to say that Staffordshire have defaulted the U100 match against Nottinghamshire with less than three days notice.
Disappointing to say the least, but congratulations to Notts on yet another title

I assume Staffs are M3 regardless of the result in the other match
Any postings on here represent my personal views

David Blower

Post by David Blower » Sun Mar 06, 2016 11:12 pm

Very disappointing. First of all though congratulations to Nottinghamshire.

I do know more about the circumstances of the default, which I will not go into as I am not the team captain.

In general I will say this, Staffordshire is a big county (in terms of area) and places like Stoke and Brewood (both in Staffordshire) are miles apart on a map!

As a club committee member of Brewood, I still hope some of our members under 100, and that includes some of our junior members can in the long term play county chess for Staffordshire.

David Blower

Post by David Blower » Mon Mar 07, 2016 9:39 pm

Mick Norris wrote:
Neil Graham wrote:

Disappointing to say the least, but congratulations to Notts on yet another title

We (Staffordshire) have been offered the third under 100 place, and have until Sunday 20th March to reply to the MCCU. If we don't take up the nomination than Leicestershire have indicated that they will take the place.

Neil Graham

Post by Neil Graham » Thu Mar 24, 2016 9:59 pm

David Blower wrote:
Mick Norris wrote:
Neil Graham wrote:

We (Staffordshire) have been offered the third under 100 place, and have until Sunday 20th March to reply to the MCCU. If we don't take up the nomination than Leicestershire have indicated that they will take the place.
Staffordshire have declined to play in the U100 - Leicestershire are in.

David Blower

Post by David Blower » Fri Mar 25, 2016 9:34 pm

A full statement from the Midlands Counties Chess Union:

18 Mar, controller reports. Staffordshire have been offered the U100 M3 place but have declined because of other commitments. Leics have agreed to take Staffs' place and have been nominated by the MCCU.

I would love to know what these "other commitments" were. I, personally, was not aware of any.

Neil Graham

Post by Neil Graham » Sat Mar 26, 2016 7:30 pm

David Blower wrote:A full statement from the Midlands Counties Chess Union:

18 Mar, controller reports. Staffordshire have been offered the U100 M3 place but have declined because of other commitments. Leics have agreed to take Staffs' place and have been nominated by the MCCU.

I would love to know what these "other commitments" were. I, personally, was not aware of any.
I would suggest that your captain possibly has "other commitments" than raising a team on May 21st. Remember for this match teams have to organise a venue as well as a team (on the assumption Staffs didn't want to travel to Essex). Staffordshire managed to default their U100 match to Notts twice despite the venue being arranged so I didn't have high hopes of them competing in the national stages.

I regularly moan about the dearth of local organisers in threads in this forum. Most counties could raise teams in the grading limited competitions but they don't as no-one steps forward to take on the admin that is required. I suggest if you and players in your area are unhappy about what has happened that you apply for the job yourself next season.

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Sat Mar 26, 2016 7:51 pm

David Blower wrote:I would love to know what these "other commitments" were. I, personally, was not aware of any.
David

You appear to have enthusiasm, I would suggest you put yourself forward for the captain's job for next season for whatever grade limit you will be then
Any postings on here represent my personal views