U160

A forum for the Midland Counties Chess Union.
Mick Norris

U160

Post by Mick Norris » Sat Nov 07, 2015 8:39 pm

Notts 9-7 G Man today at Newcastle-under-Lyme Bridge Club - the best team won, we did well to get as close as we did given Notts had a stronger team and 2 of our players didn't turn up
Any postings on here represent my personal views

Neil Graham

Re: U160

Post by Neil Graham » Sat Nov 07, 2015 10:22 pm

Notts also beat Lincolnshire 7-5 in the Under 120.

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Thu Nov 12, 2015 3:04 pm

I see Staffs have withdrawn from the U160 - pity

Next match - G Man v Warks 28 Nov at Newcastle-under-Lyme Bridge Club (prediction, problems on the M6 for at least 1 of the teams :roll: )

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Sun Nov 29, 2015 10:51 am

G Man and Warks drew yesterday I gather

David Pardoe

Re: U160 GMan v Wark

Post by David Pardoe » Sun Nov 29, 2015 10:09 pm

A keenly fought battle, with no shortage of incident and tension, went right down to the wire.
Both teams suffered a default, due to travel issues, so it was agreed by the captains to drop the bottom board to ensure all the others got to play.
So, off we set, a few minutes late to allow for motorway holdups etc...
GMan were outgraded on all boards http://www.mccu.org.uk/cm15-16/u160/u16 ... 8nov15.htm, but nevertheless a very close 15 board duel unfolded at the Newcastle-U-Lyme Bridge club.. GMan were missing some regulars due, not least, to the other big northern chess event at Preston, where the local Congress usually attracts strong interest.

I saw little of the games, and indeed was last to finish, not realising that the scores stood at 7 - all with just the one remaining game to finish.
Tom Green continued a good run of positive results with a solid win for GMan after his opponent went astray in the opening stages.
I believe one of our players came unstuck in the early stages also, but continued to put up resistance, until the deficit eventually told..
With 7 draws, and equal wins on other boards, the match was in the balance til the final moments...
The top boards for GMan gave a solid and very creditable showing, and put us in front on the top 8 boards... the lower boards also played well considering grading differences, with Howard and Shaun both scoring good wins, ...and so credit is shared out and honours even in a cracking match. Once again Chorlton were well represented and helped fly the flag for the Manchester team. We are always keen to hear from interested players from any of our local clubs...
So, after 4 hours of very interesting chess the match concluded, with a draw agreed on my board 8 game, after an incident filled clash.
I`m told we both missed wins, and several other improvements in play, so maybe the draw was the right result..
With the clock running down, I couldnt persuade myself that I could promote my two passed connected pawns, with rooks and Kings in close attendance, and my opponents passed pawn threatening to race down the opposite wing, with less than 100 seconds remaining..
There was some hectic time scrambles as the two time breaks were reached, which probably contributed to the oversights..
Light refreshments were provided, as usual, by the Bridge club as part of the package, along with equipment, and the good playing conditions make this a venue I would recommend to any team looking for a venue.
It is always good to meet with our neighbouring teams and enjoy a good afternoons chess, along with the cameradery and social banter that goes with such occasions. And the atmosphere that builds as the games are completed, and players gather to watch the remaining games, does add to the days general interest and sense of anticipation, with players quietly exchanging comments, and moving around to watch the various battles unfold.
So concluded a good days chessing on a typical damp November day, and a match that was a great credit to both teams, and testimony to this fine Counties event.
Last edited by David Pardoe on Sun Nov 29, 2015 11:29 pm, edited 3 times in total.
BRING BACK THE BCF

Neil Graham

Post by Neil Graham » Sun Nov 29, 2015 10:12 pm

Mick Norris wrote:G Man and Warks drew yesterday I gather
This means that Manchester will be looking to Notts to beat Warwickshire in the New Year. Should there be a tie between Manchester and Warwickshire, the former will progress by virtue of their superior board count in this match.

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Mon Nov 30, 2015 8:16 am

Neil Graham wrote:
Mick Norris wrote:G Man and Warks drew yesterday I gather
This means that Manchester will be looking to Notts to beat Warwickshire in the New Year. Should there be a tie between Manchester and Warwickshire, the former will progress by virtue of their superior board count in this match.
Good luck :lol:

Neil Graham

Post by Neil Graham » Sat Jan 23, 2016 7:55 pm

Notts beat Warwickshire by 10-6 - so Manchester progress.

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Sat Jan 23, 2016 8:03 pm

Great news, well done

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Sat Feb 13, 2016 9:07 pm

G Man lost 5.5-6.5 today in a friendly v Cumbria at Lancaster

They haven't yet heard from the NCCU, let alone arranged their matches with Lancs & Yorks