County championships start with a bang

A forum for the Midland Counties Chess Union.
David Pardoe

County championships start with a bang

Post by David Pardoe » Sun Oct 06, 2013 9:51 pm

Todays Open team county match between Staffordshire and Manchester, played at Holmes Chapel, got off to a cracking start, with Manchester coming out 9 - 7 winners, which was somewhat against the form book. I believe Staffs had a couple of there top boards missing, but nontheless, this was a humm dinger of a match. Refreshments, provided courtesy of Holmes Chapel ladies, who baked some lovely cakes, etc...and provided excellent sandwiches, are to be commended for there hospitality.
Proceedings were somewhat thrown into confusion and some disarray, when, at a key stage in the match, it was suddenly announced that those cranky digital clock things weren`t doing what they should have...and time had not been added correctly.
So there we were, at a critical stage, with flag falls approaching, players in panic positions were suddenly relieved by having 20 mins or so added? Play stopped, confusion as the processes were sorted out, allowing those in trouble to compose themselves, regroup, and batten up the hatches. Not good.
And it happened again, with a repeat performance.
Anyway, an eventful match produced a surprise start to the seasons county programme.
For full results look at the MCCU website over coming days. http://www.mccu.org.uk/
Apparently there were many close draws on the upper boards...8 draws...5 wins to GMan, and 3 to Staffs....but I saw little of the action as I battled a close encounter, down to R & Ps endgame, which swung widely, as my opponent tried to hold his early advantage.
No doubt detailed match reports will appear in due coarse.
Good stuff...
BRING BACK THE BCF

Mick Norris

Re: County championships start with a bang

Post by Mick Norris » Mon Oct 07, 2013 11:20 am

Great result
http://www.mccu.org.uk/cm13-14/minor/mi ... 5oct13.htm

5 juniors in our top 8, one of whom was top board for our national champion U160 team 2 years ago and is now top board for our first team :D
Any postings on here represent my personal views

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:31 pm

Mick Norris wrote:5 juniors in our top 8 ...
And 3 whose names have been familiar to me for more than 30 years!

Congratulations to Greater Manchester.

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Sat Nov 02, 2013 10:01 pm

G Man beat Worcs 8.5 - 7.5 today :D

LawrenceCooper

Post by LawrenceCooper » Sun Nov 03, 2013 7:32 am

Mick Norris wrote:G Man beat Worcs 8.5 - 7.5 today :D
Staffs beat Warwickshire 10-6, six decisive games, all with Staffs players having the white pieces.
Last edited by LawrenceCooper on Sun Nov 03, 2013 12:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Sun Nov 03, 2013 7:56 am

All to play for in the final group games, we still need to beat Warks to guarantee qualifying

Neil Graham

Post by Neil Graham » Sun Nov 03, 2013 7:34 pm

Mick Norris wrote:All to play for in the final group games, we still need to beat Warks to guarantee qualifying
I don't think that's correct. You can lose to Warwickshire and still qualify. I think Warwickshire have to beat you by a margin of 9.5-6.5 or better to go through. Any other result will lose for them unless Staffordshire go down to back markers Worcestershire. A draw with Warwickshire will certainly ensure you qualify for the next stage.

Even if you reach the next stage there is no guarantee you will obtain a place in the national stages. This again will depend on Staffordshire beating Worcestershire.

LawrenceCooper

Post by LawrenceCooper » Sun Nov 03, 2013 9:06 pm

Neil Graham wrote:
Mick Norris wrote:All to play for in the final group games, we still need to beat Warks to guarantee qualifying
I don't think that's correct. You can lose to Warwickshire and still qualify. I think Warwickshire have to beat you by a margin of 9.5-6.5 or better to go through. Any other result will lose for them unless Staffordshire go down to back markers Worcestershire. A draw with Warwickshire will certainly ensure you qualify for the next stage.

Even if you reach the next stage there is no guarantee you will obtain a place in the national stages. This again will depend on Staffordshire beating Worcestershire.
Aren't Staffordshire the only team seeking qualification to the Open national stages whilst the others (by their own choice) are on course for the Minor Counties? :?

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Sun Nov 03, 2013 9:11 pm

Neil

The Rules aren't clear, as they refer only to ties for an ECF qualification place, but I think you will be correct

Staffs clinch a top 2 place by beating Worcs regardless of scores in any matches and as far as I am aware, Staffs then go through to the semi-finals despite, as Loz says, seeking Open rather than MC qualification

We get a top 2 place unless we lose a 6 point swing i.e. by more than 3 points

I think it is complicated if we lose 9.5 - 6.5, as the aggregate position for us and Warks (with Staffs matches counting) is -1 each on board count

Neil Graham

Post by Neil Graham » Sun Nov 03, 2013 9:37 pm

Mick Norris wrote:Neil

The Rules aren't clear, as they refer only to ties for an ECF qualification place, but I think you will be correct

Staffs clinch a top 2 place by beating Worcs regardless of scores in any matches and as far as I am aware, Staffs then go through to the semi-finals despite, as Loz says, seeking Open rather than MC qualification

We get a top 2 place unless we lose a 6 point swing i.e. by more than 3 points

I think it is complicated if we lose 9.5 - 6.5, as the aggregate position for us and Warks (with Staffs matches counting) is -1 each on board count
The complicated qualification rules are explained here

http://www.mccu.org.uk/cm13-14/minor/scenarios.pdf

If there is a three way tie between Warwickshire, Greater Manchester and Staffordshire on 4 points with Worcestershire on nil, Staffordshire will certainly go forward.

If Manchester lose by 9.5-6.5 to Warwickshire, Warwickshire progress as they won the match between the two counties.

Nottinghamshire are already E1 and the December match between Lincs and Leics decides which county is E2.

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:49 am

Neil Graham wrote:If there is a three way tie between Warwickshire, Greater Manchester and Staffordshire on 4 points with Worcestershire on nil, Staffordshire will certainly go forward.

If Manchester lose by 9.5-6.5 to Warwickshire, Warwickshire progress as they won the match between the two counties.
Yes, rule 15 puts Staffs through, then rule 14 puts Warks through :idea:
Neil Graham wrote: Nottinghamshire are already E1 and the December match between Lincs and Leics decides which county is E2.
Well done Notts

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Sun Dec 08, 2013 3:56 pm

G Man beat Warks 10.5 - 5.5 after 4 Warks players in 1 car didn't make it

G Man are W1 for the semis :D

G Man v Leics
Notts v Staffs

Sat 25 January

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Sat Jan 25, 2014 9:47 pm

G Man lost 10.5 - 5.5 to Leics today :(

Hebden beat Andy Horton on top board

Neil Graham

Post by Neil Graham » Sat Jan 25, 2014 9:58 pm

Mick Norris wrote:G Man lost 10.5 - 5.5 to Leics today :(

Hebden beat Andy Horton on top board
Nottinghamshire ended Staffordshire's run of four consecutive MCCU Championships with a win today by 8.5-7.5. Staffordshire outgraded Notts on 14 of the 16 boards. Details here:-

http://www.mccu.org.uk/cm13-14/minor/mi ... 5jan14.htm

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Sun Jan 26, 2014 9:49 am

Well done and good luck against Leics in the final

Staffs still win the MCCU Open title by default I think