County teams 2012-13

A forum for the Midland Counties Chess Union.
David Blower

Re: County teams 2012-13

Post by David Blower » Sun Mar 17, 2013 6:50 pm

David Pardoe wrote:
Disappointing about the late change of venue, due to double booking. These things really dont help...and when you find out after you have set off that the venue had been changed it really doesnt fill you with great hope... Communications were not good. As a driver, I really would like to know where I`m going, preferably before I set off...not least, so I can plan my journey. The initial clues I received were that we were playing at a `church` on the A34 in Newcastle. Gee...
I`m really not keen on this game of `blind mans buff`.....

Anyway, we arrived..only to find the match start delayed by 30 mins...which again doesnt put you in the best frame of mind to play chess...but thats part of the county picture. Things can go wrong and often do, despite the best efforts of those concerned.

For me the actual venue was ok...a typical church Hall....the Baptists Church at Newcastle U Lyme. Reasonably well lit...good tables...space not bad...refreshments quite ok.

The Bridge Club was a good venue as well.

I think there are two things here: the motorway congestion is not really anyones fault, particularly from the teams.

However the change of venue and no communication about it is disappointing.

Anyway Staffordshire under 120 are through to the national stages of the competition. A QF against Hertfordshire.

David Blower

Post by David Blower » Sun Mar 17, 2013 9:43 pm

IM Jack Rudd wrote:
ETA: Ouch; out of all the away trips Gloucestershire could have got, that's got to be one of the worst.
Don't matches involving counties not boardering each other take place in a neutral county?

IM Jack Rudd

Post by IM Jack Rudd » Sun Mar 17, 2013 9:49 pm

David Blower wrote:
IM Jack Rudd wrote:
ETA: Ouch; out of all the away trips Gloucestershire could have got, that's got to be one of the worst.
Don't matches involving counties not boardering each other take place in a neutral county?
Gloucestershire have the right to insist on a neutral venue (and would have this right even if they were paired against a county they did border), but it's likely to be a rather farther-from-home venue than if they had been paired against a nearer county.

David Pardoe

Post by David Pardoe » Sun Mar 17, 2013 11:58 pm

David Blower wrote:
David Pardoe wrote:
Disappointing about the late change of venue, due to double booking. These things really dont help...and when you find out after you have set off that the venue had been changed it really doesnt fill you with great hope... Communications were not good. As a driver, I really would like to know where I`m going, preferably before I set off...not least, so I can plan my journey. The initial clues I received were that we were playing at a `church` on the A34 in Newcastle. Gee...
I`m really not keen on this game of `blind mans buff`.....

Anyway, we arrived..only to find the match start delayed by 30 mins...which again doesnt put you in the best frame of mind to play chess...but thats part of the county picture. Things can go wrong and often do, despite the best efforts of those concerned.

For me the actual venue was ok...a typical church Hall....the Baptists Church at Newcastle U Lyme. Reasonably well lit...good tables...space not bad...refreshments quite ok.

The Bridge Club was a good venue as well.

I think there are two things here: the motorway congestion is not really anyones fault, particularly from the teams.

However the change of venue and no communication about it is disappointing.

Anyway Staffordshire under 120 are through to the national stages of the competition. A QF against Hertfordshire.
To be fair, all our players did arrive safely at the venue, and on time, despite the venue change... so the message did get through. I parked near the original venue and walked the half mile to the new one, which was pleasant enough, and give a stretch of legs & some fresh air before the match.
Its a tough job captaining a county side, so hopefully our 2 new U160 captains will have learned a few things from this season.
BRING BACK THE BCF

David Blower

Post by David Blower » Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:15 pm

Right then, a short report about the day is up on the Brewood Chess Circle website, although it does not give detailed match reports board by board (would have been a bit difficult to do that whilst playing my own match anyway.) Its also given from a Brewood Chess Club perspective.

http://brewoodchess.webs.com/apps/blog/ ... estershire