2012 AGM

A forum for the Midland Counties Chess Union.
raycollett

2012 AGM

Post by raycollett » Sun May 06, 2012 3:39 pm

Julie Johnson CEO of the MCCU has notified county secretaries and MCCU delegates that the annual meeting will be on Saturday 23 June at Syston. If you want an issue discussed, please forward it to your county secretary and ask for it to be sent from your county to Julie by Friday 25 May.

raycollett

Re: 2012 AGM

Post by raycollett » Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:24 pm

The agenda and all papers received so far are now published on the MCCU web site at:
http://www.mccu.org.uk/

Team captains should note the proposals in relation to the Midlands County Team Championships which are related to the new ECF rules for national stages in 2012/3 and the ECF Membership Scheme which starts in 2012/3.

Correspondence players should note the proposals to use electronic transmission for the Midlands Individual Correspondence Championship (PC Gibbs competition).

Midlands congress players should note the Events Director is suggesting additional Midlands Grand Prix.

Please make known your views to your county representatives. For contact details see:
http://www.mccu.org.uk/about/counties.htm.

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:31 pm

raycollett wrote:Correspondence players should note the proposals to use electronic transmission for the Midlands Individual Correspondence Championship (PC Gibbs competition).
I read the report to mean that the e-mail competition would be an additional event, rather than replacing the postal format for the current event?

raycollett

Post by raycollett » Tue Jun 19, 2012 12:22 am

Alex Holowczak wrote:I read the report to mean that the e-mail competition would be an additional event?
That was not my impression from a telephone conversation with Cyril today. I understand that almost all current players don't want the expense and delay of postal play.

Sean Hewitt

Post by Sean Hewitt » Tue Jun 19, 2012 8:01 am

raycollett wrote:The agenda and all papers received so far are now published on the MCCU web site at:
Looks thrilling. One wonders how an organisation which does so little can have so many officers, and have so much to talk about. :lol:

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Tue Jun 19, 2012 8:56 am

raycollett wrote:
Alex Holowczak wrote:I read the report to mean that the e-mail competition would be an additional event?
That was not my impression from a telephone conversation with Cyril today. I understand that almost all current players don't want the expense and delay of postal play.
This is rather odd.

From Julie's report:
"Another proposed change that I would be unhappy to see replicated in the MCCU rules is to make reporting of results via email/internet compulsory. I do not feel we should discriminate against someone simply because they have not adopted this form of correspondence, for whatever reason. It has been suggested that a captain not using email should be able to find a team member who is and who could email results instead. In my view to put the captain at the mercy of whether someone else actually does this is in not an acceptable alternative."

I don't understand how the comment and proposal are consistent with their utopian anti-discriminatory vision. Which is why I thought the e-mail event would be an entirely new event.

Perhaps the suggestion is that an e-mail event would kill off the postal event. There's probably some truth to that.

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:01 am

Sean Hewitt wrote:
raycollett wrote:The agenda and all papers received so far are now published on the MCCU web site at:
Looks thrilling. One wonders how an organisation which does so little can have so many officers, and have so much to talk about. :lol:
From Cyril's report:
"Removing the Winter meeting did not cause the sky to fall in and pestilence to rage through the MCCU."

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Fri Jun 22, 2012 4:37 pm

Note that the East Midlands Trains services from Leicester to Lincoln Central (along which you would find Syston) have been cancelled, according to National Rail Enquiries. This is due to industrial action, apparently. :roll:

Contrary to Cyril's report, pestilence is now raging through at least one MCCU Delegate... :(

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Fri Jun 22, 2012 4:48 pm

OK, it turns out I've misunderstood. When it said: "CANCELLED: Proposed industrial action to affect East Midlands Trains services on Saturday 23 and Mon", what it actually meant was the industrial action had been cancelled, and not any trains.

So false alarm: The trains to Syston are running!

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Fri Jun 22, 2012 4:51 pm

Just spoken to EMT, no disruptions expected tomorrow from strikes or weather

They have assured me that Manchester-Sheffield-Loughborough-Syston-Nottingham-Manchester will run smoothly

I'll be more than annoyed if they don't :roll:
Any postings on here represent my personal views

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Sat Jun 23, 2012 1:04 pm

I have arrived outside the venue. I would be inside the venue if I could work out how to get into it... :oops:

At least it hasn't just started to rain heavily. :D

Christopher Kreuzer

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Sat Jun 23, 2012 1:53 pm

Alex Holowczak wrote:I have arrived outside the venue. I would be inside the venue if I could work out how to get into it... :oops:

From the post in the other thread, it looks like Alex found the entrance! :D

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Sat Jun 23, 2012 9:14 pm

Christopher Kreuzer wrote:
Alex Holowczak wrote:I have arrived outside the venue. I would be inside the venue if I could work out how to get into it... :oops:

I saw a guy walk through a door to leave the premises, and decided to try that one out. It was indeed the correct door. :D

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Sat Jun 23, 2012 11:18 pm

Christopher Kreuzer wrote:

It wasn't easy, and unlike me he went the quick way there from the train station

It was wet at Loughborough briefly, and again when I got back to Bolton

7 trains, all pretty much on time, and less than 13 hours out of the house :)
Any postings on here represent my personal views

raycollett

Post by raycollett » Sat Jun 23, 2012 11:38 pm

I thought the main points from today's well-attended MCCU annual general meeting in relation to MCCU competitions were:
  • 1. Revised rules about tie-breaks in the County Team competitions and the Events Director and Controller have been asked to draft a guide for team captains based on proposals originally tabled in 2011.
    2. More prize money for Grand Prix competitions and details to be developed by the Events Director.
    3. Senior officers have been asked to develop proposals for an MCCU individual congress in association with other chess organisations.
    4. A new individual correspondence tournament with moves transmitted electronically.
I'll publish unconfirmed minutes on the website after they have been prepared.