2012 AGM

A forum for the Midland Counties Chess Union.
Dragoljub Sudar

Re: 2012 AGM

Post by Dragoljub Sudar » Wed Jun 27, 2012 1:55 am

Alex, your spoon is in the post!

Notts U180 team would almost certainly have been 3 or 4 boards short v Yarkshur had it not been for Neil's efforts; the default by our U160 team's opponents came after Neil had secured our final boards for the U180s and it would have been unfair to dump the late additions in favour of the top U160 players. Anyway, our lower boards ('cept me) did really well on the day.

In my time in Notts, nobody has done more for the Notts county teams than Neil. So this isn't 'in-fighting' as Alex mischieviously suggests, but merely a healthy debate about what's best going forward. I support the 25 point argument as the current situation puts a lot of pressure on our county captains, but I also totally respect Neil's opinion as an excellent county captain.

Ian Kingston

Post by Ian Kingston » Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:21 am

I agree with Drag on the question of reducing the number of sections in the county championships - but then I predicted that these problems would arise when the extra section was added.

If I remember correctly, the SCCU noticed that the new grades would effectively cut players graded below 100 out of county chess altogether, so they wanted the additional section. This was perfectly reasonable for the large SCCU counties, but problematic for most of the rest of the country. Looking at the results on the summary page, we can see that only four counties outside the SCCU fielded teams at the union stage this season. More tellingly, only three SCCU counties did so, suggesting that the demand for U100 county chess is slight.

There is a broader question, which perhaps doesn't belong in an MCCU sub-forum: why is there so little county chess in the NCCU, EACU and WECU? Which leads on to another one: what (if anything) can be done to change that state of affairs?

And finally: if the county championships were cancelled after this year's finals, how many people would really notice?

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:12 am

Ian Kingston wrote:I agree with Drag on the question of reducing the number of sections in the county championships - but then I predicted that these problems would arise when the extra section was added.

If I remember correctly, the SCCU noticed that the new grades would effectively cut players graded below 100 out of county chess altogether, so they wanted the additional section. This was perfectly reasonable for the large SCCU counties, but problematic for most of the rest of the country. Looking at the results on the summary page, we can see that only four counties outside the SCCU fielded teams at the union stage this season. More tellingly, only three SCCU counties did so, suggesting that the demand for U100 county chess is slight.

There is a broader question, which perhaps doesn't belong in an MCCU sub-forum: why is there so little county chess in the NCCU, EACU and WECU? Which leads on to another one: what (if anything) can be done to change that state of affairs?

And finally: if the county championships were cancelled after this year's finals, how many people would really notice?
I'd like to request an official statement from Carl as to the purpose and scope of this sub-forum.

I've refrained from posting in this thread previously owing to Mick's request that it be confined to MCCU people posting about MCCU issues.

Now Ian has posted a number of comments about the SCCU which I feel justify a reply from someone in that Union. I won't make any such reply for the moment in deference to Mick.

Carl, perhaps Ian's post should be moved to a new thread.

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:50 am

David

I am happy for people from outside the MCCU to post things that are relevant to the debate within the MCCU

I am not happy to have another thread hijacked to discuss the ECF membership scheme :roll:

I'd agree a new thread would be best, so I'll start one
Any postings on here represent my personal views