County Matches 2010-11 Season

A forum for the Midland Counties Chess Union.
Sean Hewitt

Re: County Matches 2010-11 Season

Post by Sean Hewitt » Sun Mar 06, 2011 2:41 pm

Alex Holowczak wrote:
David Pardoe wrote:Any news on the U160 clash between Warks & Leicestershire yesterday......
Warks are already Champs, and Leicestershire are battling back after a slow start...
Where`s that Sean geezzer when you need him....
David, Greater Manchester have already been eliminated from the Under 160 section, despite being in 2nd place at the moment.

Even if Leicestershire lost or drew yesterday, Nottinghamshire have 3 pts, Staffordshire have 2 pts and GM have 3 pts. The final match is Notts v Staffs. So, the three scenarios:
Notts win v Staffs, Notts 5, GM 3, Staffs 2 - Notts qualify with Warks
Notts draw v Staffs, Notts 4, Staffs 3, GM 3 - Notts qualify with Warks
Notts lose v Staffs, Staffs 4, Notts 3, GM 3 - Staffs qualify with Warks

So whatever happens, GM will not qualify for the National Stages of the Under 160.
There's a slight flaw in this because three MCCU counties qualify for the national stages of the U160 competition. I would have thought the alternate home director might have known that! MCCU3 player EACU2 in the preliminary round :oops:

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Sun Mar 06, 2011 3:04 pm

Sean Hewitt wrote:
Alex Holowczak wrote:
David Pardoe wrote:Any news on the U160 clash between Warks & Leicestershire yesterday......
Warks are already Champs, and Leicestershire are battling back after a slow start...
Where`s that Sean geezzer when you need him....
David, Greater Manchester have already been eliminated from the Under 160 section, despite being in 2nd place at the moment.

Even if Leicestershire lost or drew yesterday, Nottinghamshire have 3 pts, Staffordshire have 2 pts and GM have 3 pts. The final match is Notts v Staffs. So, the three scenarios:
Notts win v Staffs, Notts 5, GM 3, Staffs 2 - Notts qualify with Warks
Notts draw v Staffs, Notts 4, Staffs 3, GM 3 - Notts qualify with Warks
Notts lose v Staffs, Staffs 4, Notts 3, GM 3 - Staffs qualify with Warks

So whatever happens, GM will not qualify for the National Stages of the Under 160.
There's a slight flaw in this because three MCCU counties qualify for the national stages of the U160 competition. I would have thought the alternate home director might have known that! MCCU3 player EACU2 in the preliminary round :oops:
I did know that, but didn't even think about it because I just looked at the highlighting on the MCCU website which showed two counties qualified. :oops:

Looking through, I now realise that most sections on the MCCU website have two qualifying places highlighted.

In which case then, GM needs to hope for:
(a) Notts to win
(b) Drawn match; GM win on tie-break because they beat Staffs 10-6
(c) Staffs win, would need to be 13-3 for GM to qualify. 12.5-3.5 would send Nottinghamshire through on board count in the tied match between Notts v GM.

So if Notts get to 3.5 in the match against Staffs, they're going to qualify. That should be doable!

David Pardoe

Post by David Pardoe » Sun Mar 06, 2011 5:12 pm

Then of course there is always the possibility that Leicestershire have caused an upset against Warwickshire (assuming they did play yesterday), and have now moved to 2nd place themselves. You might get a call-up Sean. Have to get some practice in... I notice your local team are battling to avoid the drop this season, despite having potential IM players on top boards....now that Lozzo has arrived. Thats a measure of the competition up here in our leagues just now.

All good fun....I`m hoping we might get one or two more teams coming along if trends continue to improve.
BRING BACK THE BCF

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Sun Mar 06, 2011 5:26 pm

David Pardoe wrote:Then of course there is always the possibility that Leicestershire have caused an upset against Warwickshire (assuming they did play yesterday), and have now moved to 2nd place themselves. You might get a call-up Sean. Have to get some practice in... I notice your local team are battling to avoid the drop this season, despite having potential IM players on top boards....now that Lozzo has arrived. Thats a measure of the competition up here in our leagues just now.

All good fun....I`m hoping we might get one or two more teams coming along if trends continue to improve.
David, Sean reported up-thread that Warwickshire beat Leicestershire 8.5-7.5. So you don't have to worry about them!

David Pardoe

Post by David Pardoe » Sun Mar 06, 2011 6:46 pm

Yes, a very good effort from Leicester facing a strong Warks side.
When you have such a narrow difference between the top and bottom sides, you know you have an interesting competition...so it is for the U160 Qualifiers in the MCCU.
They should do ok in the Nationals, but seem to come unstuck at the Semi`s. I wish Manchester could put out a 150+ player on board 11, but we are slowly making progress, so any similar score would be a bonus, should we happen to qualify.
BRING BACK THE BCF

raycollett

Post by raycollett » Sun Mar 06, 2011 10:16 pm

Result and detailed scores should now be on the MCCU website at http://www.mccu.org.uk

Sean Hewitt

Post by Sean Hewitt » Sun Mar 06, 2011 11:10 pm

raycollett wrote:
Result and detailed scores should now be on the MCCU website at http://www.mccu.org.uk
Ray - the MCCU appears to imply, incorrectly, that there are only two nominations for the final stages.

raycollett

Post by raycollett » Mon Mar 07, 2011 12:03 am

the MCCU appears to imply, incorrectly, that there are only two nominations for the final stages
There was no error in the page about the national draw, clearly stating there are three nominations available to MCCU for the u160. The shading in the u160 table on the u160 page has been modified to include three rather than two rows.