MCCU Matters

A forum for the Midland Counties Chess Union.
raycollett

Re: MCCU Matters

Post by raycollett » Sun Dec 19, 2010 10:38 am

Alex Holowczak wrote:I'm surprised that it isn't the top 3 from 5, or something like that.
When the open GP was originally set up, something similar was done. The current rules encourage players to participate in as many participating congresses as possible.

raycollett

Post by raycollett » Sun Dec 19, 2010 10:43 am

David Pardoe wrote:I did think the `Newsletter` series on the MCCU website was quite a good attempt to publish chess matters of interest, covered events of interest, letters to the editor, etc....and would suggest that 3 or 4 issues a season might be worth while.
I agree. Julie Johnson did a great job. I produced two small additional issues, but found that I did not have time to do that and manage the MCCU website.

Sean Hewitt

Post by Sean Hewitt » Sun Dec 19, 2010 12:56 pm

Alex Holowczak wrote:I'm surprised that it isn't the top 3 from 5, or something like that.
Go on, I'll bite! Why?

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Sun Dec 19, 2010 1:22 pm

Sean Hewitt wrote:
Go on, I'll bite! Why?
No particular reason; I just thought that's what it was! :oops:

I think I was mentally confusing it with the John Robinson Grand Prix, which is the top three scores from five...

David Pardoe

Post by David Pardoe » Sun Dec 26, 2010 12:24 pm

Alex Holowczak wrote:
David Pardoe wrote:The first point is perhaps why no-one used the MCCU bb in the first place?
Maybe there`s not a great appetite to discuss `Union` matters?
I'd be more than happy to discuss Union matters if I actually knew what they were!

Alex, perhaps you should talk to Andrew Farthing, a fellow ECF & MCCU devotee.... as a prolific contributer to `chess discussions`, you should be better informed on `local matters`....... no obligation of coarse.
And I do agree with your point though, that many are only vaguely aware of county matters, apart from county teams, which might explain why it is perhaps more difficult to find volunteers to help with the organisation side...
My suggestion though is to start with the more recent MCCU AGM notices/Minutes (see MCCU website for details)...and maybe look at some of the Newsletters that were published til recent years.
You might in fact consider taking the vacant post of Editor for that publication...the Midlands could certainly do with more `active voices` publishing matters of interest (and an injection of additional, much needed, youthful blood).....and trying to reach the rank and file clubs/players, Congress/Events Scene.
Our most import task is to let `Joe Public` know that we`re `Alive` & Open for Business.....
One of the reasons I think that various initiatives havent had the support they deserve is possibly because we have not been effective in getting the right messages out sufficiently widely, to inform people/players/clubs/counties about what is going on...
A recent example might be the Wrekin Congress...as an illustration. Ive just put out a couple of `plugs` for it on this site, and asked Rey Collett to do likewise on the MCCU website.....but maybe it gets reasonable coverage in the West Midlands areas. Hopefully adjoining areas will also give there support.....
The voice of Chess needs to be heard....among the many other distractions. Hopefully players will email fellow chess club members/email contacts about these events.....
BRING BACK THE BCF

raycollett

Post by raycollett » Sun Dec 26, 2010 6:57 pm

A recent example might be the Wrekin Congress...as an illustration. Ive just put out a couple of `plugs` for it on this site, and asked Rey Collett to do likewise on the MCCU website
Thank you for drawing my attention to this upcoming congress. It should now be on the MCCU 'congresses' page with a link to the organisers' pdf entry form. - Ray

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Mon Dec 27, 2010 10:48 am

It is up to congress organisers to publicise their own events, not Ray to trawl through trying to find out about them!

As MCF Congress Director, I try and do this for MCF events and find Ray fantastically helpful at publicising pre and post events
Any postings on here represent my personal views

raycollett

Post by raycollett » Mon Dec 27, 2010 11:36 am

You might in fact consider taking the vacant post of Editor for that publication...the Midlands could certainly do with more `active voices` publishing matters of interest (and an injection of additional, much needed, youthful blood).....and trying to reach the rank and file clubs/players, Congress/Events Scene. Our most import task is to let `Joe Public` know that we`re `Alive` & Open for Business.
I am willing to edit and produce further issues of the MCCU Newsletter The Middle Game if, say 6 players, are able to send me annotated games, articles about their club, a popular player in their team or any stories about their club running events for charity fund-raising. Any offers? - Ray

raycollett

MCCU annual meeting

Post by raycollett » Mon Apr 25, 2011 12:47 pm

Julie Johnson, Chief Exec has given notice that the AGM will be on Saturday 25 June at Lichfield. Items for the agenda and proposed rules should be submitted via county secretaries by 28 May. To identify and contact county secretaries and county delegates, use the 'About' menu button from the home page of the MCCU website at http://www.mccu.org.uk/ and then 'MCCU Counties" button.

If you are interested in attending as a delegate - each county has 4 representatives - please contact your county secretary. If you would like to help the MCCU run more events next year, please contact Julie Johnson.

Sean Hewitt

Post by Sean Hewitt » Mon Apr 25, 2011 1:46 pm

I didn't know that Lancashire had joined the MCCU
www.mccu.org.uk wrote:Next Junior Event in MCCU Counties
Sat 30 Apr: Lancaster Megafinal at Poulton-le-Fylde

Alex Holowczak

Re: MCCU annual meeting

Post by Alex Holowczak » Mon Apr 25, 2011 1:46 pm

raycollett wrote:Julie Johnson, Chief Exec has given notice that the AGM will be on Saturday 25 June at [Lichfield].
Whereabouts in Lichfield? The Chess Club there on Bore Street?

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Mon Apr 25, 2011 1:51 pm

Sean Hewitt wrote:I didn't know that Lancashire had joined the MCCU
www.mccu.org.uk wrote:Next Junior Event in MCCU Counties
Sat 30 Apr: Lancaster Megafinal at Poulton-le-Fylde
I think it's there for the benefit of Greater Manchester players, who don't have a Megafinal of their own.

raycollett

Post by raycollett » Mon Apr 25, 2011 3:00 pm

They haven't! :)

The megafinal event is provided for juniors in GMC who may be allocated by Mike Basman to the Lancs rather than the Mersey Megafinal because generally the UK Chess Challenge uses the late 19th century county boundaries.

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Mon Apr 25, 2011 10:17 pm

Maybe we could swap places
Any postings on here represent my personal views