Counties Championship 2018-19

A forum for the Midland Counties Chess Union.
Mick Norris

Re: Counties Championship 2018-19

Post by Mick Norris » Mon May 27, 2019 8:07 pm

IM Jack Rudd wrote:
Mon May 27, 2019 6:38 pm
The principal reason county teams die in the south-west seems mainly to be through lack of captains.
And everywhere else too, as Neil Graham frequently says
Any postings on here represent my personal views

John Reyes

Post by John Reyes » Thu May 30, 2019 12:40 pm

NickFaulks wrote:
Mon May 27, 2019 5:50 pm
John Reyes wrote:
Mon May 27, 2019 5:11 pm
I do think we need to move with the times
you need to move with the time
Sorry John, that won't do. As I explained, and you do not respond, for players in the Southeast the County Championship works pretty well. I suspect if it doesn't work well where you are, the only reason is that your people can't get along, which isn't the CC's fault.

I do accept that if I lived in Dorset or Cumberland I might feel that the event did not suit me. I would certainly be interested to hear what they want, but it isn't my place to guess that.
Hi nick

I have been busy sorting out a county team match vs Surrey and have to released that I not been looking on the forum till today on my lunch etc

first of all if you look at the county history, there is a big north/south different. it is a lot east for people who are well sorted and county chess is popular in the south, but speaking to people in the north, they tell me that 4ncl has taking over and people preference to play 4ncl then county chess, and no one is interested in being a captain
Any postings on here represent my personal views only and also Dyslexia as well

David Pardoe

Post by David Pardoe » Sat Jun 15, 2019 8:33 pm

County chess and 4NCL are two different animals.. I think there is room for both, but maybe some changes are needed to accommodate both.
For a start.. yes, more captains coming forward would help create more teams. But they need the support of leagues, clubs, players and county bodies to help establish good competitions.
One problem this season is the number of match defaults.. This is presumably where teams have a captains, but have had trouble raising teams.
Why? .. .. one reason is the distances that some teams have to travel has possibly put some players off from playing.
Another reason is that clashes of groups have caused players to become `unavailable`.
And there are other issues that can cause shortages to occur... not least being that 4NCL and the National FInals stages clash.
Maybe next season the County Qtr Finals can start in the first w/e of May, ahead of the FInals weekend for 4NCL, with the second part being held on the third w/e of May. Maybe they need to schedule the Preliminary rounds on the last w/e of March, and thereby require the Qualifying rounds to finish earlier , say early-mid March.
It might be that consideration should be given to making the Preliminary and Qtr Finals set at 12 boards, or splitting the event into wider grading bands. ie, reverting back to U175, U150, U125, etc.
BRING BACK THE BCF