Page 1 of 1

pagination

Posted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 10:03 pm
by soheil_hooshdaran
Hi.
How to know what number of columns is appropriate for a publication?

Re: pagination

Posted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 11:02 pm
by Mike Truran
Beats the s**t out of me.

Why not do some research yourself before asking stupid questions?

Re: pagination

Posted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 11:33 pm
by Michael Farthing
That's what he is doing.
Not effectively, of course, because the people he is asking (us) have no more idea than he has :(

Re: pagination

Posted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 1:50 am
by soheil_hooshdaran
I thought there are some authors among you.

Re: pagination

Posted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 2:21 am
by soheil_hooshdaran
Mike Truran wrote:Beats the s**t out of me.

Why not do some research yourself before asking stupid questions?
How to do the research? I don't know what keywordd I am supposed to google. appropriate +colums+wordreturns how to make 2 colum layouts, but what I am asking for is, why some books have 2-column layout and some books/magazines have 3 column layout

Re: pagination

Posted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 8:17 am
by Clive Blackburn
Assuming that you are talking about a chess book, I think you need to decide first how many board diagrams you are going to use and how big they are.
If there are a lot of diagrams then they will probably fit better into a 2 column layout. With a single column, you would have a lot of white space on either side of the diagrams.

Re: pagination

Posted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 10:25 am
by Clive Blackburn
Clive Blackburn wrote:Assuming that you are talking about a chess book, I think you need to decide first how many board diagrams you are going to use and how big they are.
If there are a lot of diagrams then they will probably fit better into a 2 column layout. With a single column, you would have a lot of white space on either side of the diagrams.
The same applies to notation - lists of moves in a game will look much better in 2 columns

Re: pagination

Posted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 10:57 am
by Roger de Coverly
soheil_hooshdaran wrote: why some books have 2-column layout and some books/magazines have 3 column layout
I am sure there are numerous reasons, one of the simplest being of what looks best and wastes least space in the selected paper size.

Re: pagination

Posted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 11:24 am
by Clive Blackburn
soheil_hooshdaran wrote:Hi.
How to know what number of columns is appropriate for a publication?
I you know which publication it is intended for, just browse through some back copies and see what their usual format is

Re: pagination

Posted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 8:50 pm
by Jonathan Bryant
Mike Truran wrote: Why not do some research yourself before asking stupid questions?
Because starting threads is what that particular board user does.

6 of current most recent 18 threads in the General Chess Forum
8 of current most recent 8 threads in Chess Questions
8 of current most recent 20 threads in Not Chess.


A man should have a hobby, I suppose.

Re: pagination

Posted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 3:20 am
by soheil_hooshdaran
Jonathan Bryant wrote:
Mike Truran wrote: Why not do some research yourself before asking stupid questions?
Because starting threads is what that particular board user does.

6 of current most recent 18 threads in the General Chess Forum
8 of current most recent 8 threads in Chess Questions
8 of current most recent 20 threads in Not Chess.


A man should have a hobby, I suppose.

:(
You could make treads as well, if you are unhappy

Re: pagination

Posted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 4:20 am
by soheil_hooshdaran
Jonathan Bryant wrote:A man should have a hobby, I suppose.
And the hobby of some people is irritating others.