Page 1 of 3

Character Assassination

Posted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 8:07 pm
by Nigel_Davies
Interesting topic.

"Character assassination is an intentional attempt, usually by a narcissist and/or an enabler, to influence the portrayal or reputation of someone in such a way as to cause others to develop an extremely negative, unethical or unappealing perception of him or her. It typically involves deliberate exaggeration or manipulation of facts, the spreading of rumours and deliberate misinformation to present an untrue picture of the targeted person, and unwarranted and excessive criticism."

http://winning-teams.com/definitions.html

Re: Character Assassination

Posted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 8:21 pm
by Carl Hibbard
You thinking of anyone in particular Nigel?

Re: Character Assassination

Posted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 8:26 pm
by Nigel_Davies
Carl Hibbard wrote:You thinking of anyone in particular Nigel?
If I answer that I might find my post dumped in 'adverts' again.

Re: Character Assassination

Posted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 8:30 pm
by Carl Hibbard
Nigel_Davies wrote:
Carl Hibbard wrote:You thinking of anyone in particular Nigel?
If I answer that I might find my post dumped in 'adverts' again.
You do appear to be aiming at a target and I'm watching.

No comments on your blog yet then?

Re: Character Assassination

Posted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 8:33 pm
by Nigel_Davies
I only do discussions on Facebook.

Meanwhile you might consider the situation of the many people who are targeted here by 'forum regulars'. If you have any desire to be even handed, that is..

Re: Character Assassination

Posted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 11:13 pm
by Nick Grey
Some of us do not facebook, tweat, link in or do any social media. Or post on blogs.
I liked your books when I was younger. I also loved Simon Webb's classic
if you just posted an advert it ought to have been fine.

Re: Character Assassination

Posted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 11:24 pm
by Nigel_Davies
Nick Grey wrote:Some of us do not facebook, tweat, link in or do any social media. Or post on blogs.
I liked your books when I was younger. I also loved Simon Webb's classic
if you just posted an advert it ought to have been fine.
I posted an article I thought was of relevance to recent discussions about a former ECF official who I felt had been horribly wronged. It was not advertising, I've posted maybe 4 Chess Improver articles here out of many thousands to appear. But there it was, dumped in advertising and I was warned that I might be attacking a forum regular who was not named. Same situation here, I just posted a topic that is of relevance and I get warned by Carl Hibbard not to target anyone plus some abuse from a 'regular'.

Anyway, I'm gathering material for an article on forums so it's all good.

Re: Character Assassination

Posted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 8:02 am
by Carl Hibbard
Nick Grey wrote:Some of us do not facebook, tweat, link in or do any social media. Or post on blogs.
I liked your books when I was younger. I also loved Simon Webb's classic
if you just posted an advert it ought to have been fine.
As Jack pointed out at the time we have never been keen on single post URL adverts to anyone's blog and normally move them to that section.

Re: Character Assassination

Posted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 8:05 am
by Carl Hibbard
Nigel_Davies wrote:I only do discussions on Facebook.

Meanwhile you might consider the situation of the many people who are targeted here by 'forum regulars'. If you have any desire to be even handed, that is..
I got two PM complaints and an email regarding your post all which had to be responded to but most could have been processed as comments on your semi controversial blog post I have to say.

Re: Character Assassination

Posted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 12:28 pm
by Roger de Coverly
Carl Hibbard wrote: As Jack pointed out at the time we have never been keen on single post URL adverts to anyone's blog and normally move them to that section.
Instead of a link, why not post the whole article? If it's someone else's material, then a link, if you are the author, why not just copy and paste?

Re: Character Assassination

Posted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 1:22 pm
by Carl Hibbard
Roger de Coverly wrote:
Carl Hibbard wrote: As Jack pointed out at the time we have never been keen on single post URL adverts to anyone's blog and normally move them to that section.
Instead of a link, why not post the whole article? If it's someone else's material, then a link, if you are the author, why not just copy and paste?
I think a links fine but this isn't a linklog.

Re: Character Assassination

Posted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 7:48 pm
by Nigel_Davies
Roger de Coverly wrote:
Carl Hibbard wrote: As Jack pointed out at the time we have never been keen on single post URL adverts to anyone's blog and normally move them to that section.
Instead of a link, why not post the whole article? If it's someone else's material, then a link, if you are the author, why not just copy and paste?
I have a small measure of copy protection at the Chess Improver which isn't present here. So once I post text here it can be reposted everywhere else.

Re: Character Assassination

Posted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 10:29 pm
by Nigel_Davies
I've reported the last post as a breach of copyright. I'll be considering my legal options.

Re: Character Assassination

Posted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 10:33 pm
by Angus French
Nigel_Davies wrote:I've reported the last post as a breach of copyright.
!

Isn't it ridiculous that Nigel wants us, here on this forum, to comment on his blog posts but doesn't want us to quote from them and won't allow comments on his own blog. Not, of course, that he has anything worthwhile to say.

Re: Character Assassination

Posted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 10:36 pm
by Brian Towers
Nigel_Davies wrote:I've reported the last post as a breach of copyright. I'll be considering my legal options.
Now you're just being childish and stupid, Nigel.

Explain to us what the "Facebook, Twitter Share/save" stuff is about on the bottom of your page is about if you can?