The 2015 General Election Survey - Who Are You Voting For ?

A section to discuss matters not related to Chess in particular.
Stephen Ormerod

The 2015 General Election Survey - Who Are You Voting For ?

Post by Stephen Ormerod » Mon Feb 16, 2015 2:10 pm

I am doing a quick one question, anonymous voting survey for the 2015 General Election....if you could take 2 minutes and press a couple of buttons that would be great. Thank you !!

www.surveymonkey.com/s/2PK6DTG

John McKenna

Re: The 2015 General Election Survey - Who Are You Voting For ?

Post by John McKenna » Mon Feb 16, 2015 3:13 pm

Should you not ask who people are voting for until you've asked if they are voting at all?

Does the fact that the survey does not cater for those who have no intention of voting for any political party in the coming General Election have any significance?

Could it be said that if the number of non-voters ever becomes greater than the number who voted for the winning party - which these days often no longer manages to get a majority of the votes cast - the system would no longer be "fit for purpose"? (Like so many other perishing institutions in this disgracefully degrading demesne.)

Michael Farthing

Re: The 2015 General Election Survey - Who Are You Voting For ?

Post by Michael Farthing » Tue Feb 17, 2015 7:11 pm

So far on this thread (assuming inclusion of the current post) the number of non voters (seemingly) exceeds the number of voters by at least two to one.
I shall not be voting because the mechanisms are amongst the most rigged in Europe. Not only does the first past the post system produce a massive over-representation for the least minority party, produce a system where elected representatives are more accountable to their party than to those whom they represent, but is also further mired by the system where active extra publicity is unashamedly given to parties who have previously had success, making it extremely difficult for new players to make any progress. And that's before we get on to issues like 'voting the dead' and postal vote rigging. I could go along and spoil my ballot paper - but (a) most people might assume that my spoiled ballot paper was due to my incompetence (so the message would be lost) and (b) would indicate in any event a certain connivance with a disingenuous and flawed system. I prefer to indicate disillusionment by being disillusioned. So there!