Page 1 of 1
Indexing
Posted: Sun Feb 15, 2015 2:32 pm
by soheil_hooshdaran
Hi.
Why is it that only the 3rd occurrence of "Alekhine" is indexed in the text( the book can be searched
here)?
Re: Indexing
Posted: Sun Feb 15, 2015 2:39 pm
by IM Jack Rudd
What is the context of the use of the word in each case, and what type of index is it?
Re: Indexing
Posted: Sun Feb 15, 2015 2:50 pm
by soheil_hooshdaran
That is why I provided the link, Jack.
The index is general, not "index of players/games/subjects", but here, Alekhine is written under "world champions".
Re: Indexing
Posted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 4:52 pm
by soheil_hooshdaran
What does the index entry pages
125-128, 128
mean?
Re: Indexing
Posted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 6:29 pm
by Barry Sandercock
I would think the second 128 is a misprint and should possibly be 129.
Re: Indexing
Posted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 9:43 pm
by soheil_hooshdaran
It cannot be 129.
Re: Indexing
Posted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 10:23 am
by Barry Sandercock
Why not ? I don't really understand what the original question was.
Re: Indexing
Posted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 10:34 am
by Barry Sandercock
I've just looked at the index and I think the 128 was just a misprint.
Re: Indexing
Posted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 2:18 pm
by IM Jack Rudd
As written, it would mean the subject in question was referred to as the subject of an extended piece, lasting from pages 125 to 128, and was also referred to separately on page 128 again. I have no idea whether this is actually consistent with the text.