Page 1 of 2

My agreement

Posted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 7:31 am
by soheil_hooshdaran
Hi.
Clause 7 of my agreement reads:
7. The name of the author shall appear with due prominence on the cover/jacket and title page of every copy of the Farsi edition and on the reverse of the title page the fully copyright line exactly as it appears on the Proprietors' edition shall be printed together with the following acknowledgement:[..]
What's mean by "the fully copyright line "?

There is a line reading :
copyright © 2003 Yasser Seirawan
and another below that reading:
Reprinted 2004 twice, 2005, 2006, 2007
Which one is meant?

Re: My agreement

Posted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 11:32 am
by soheil_hooshdaran
I really need their permission

Re: My agreement

Posted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 12:06 pm
by Michael Flatt
Soheil,
If you are uncertain about what is required I would suggest that you send a copy of your intended copyright page and its English translation to whomever you are negotiating the contract. They can then comment on whether they find it acceptable or not.

In fact, the copyright clause looks very straight forward and normal. It shouldn't be causing you any difficulty.

Re: My agreement

Posted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 11:21 am
by soheil_hooshdaran
But I should first get their permission. I doubt such a thing would require government's permission. aS SUCH, HE NEEDS TO BE QUICK
I contacted him by email, hoping to get an answer from him

Re: My agreement

Posted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 12:25 pm
by Ian Thompson
soheil_hooshdaran wrote:But I should first get their permission. I doubt such a thing would require government's permission.
Perhaps the government's permission is related to UK, EU and United Nations sanctions and embargoes against Iran, and a need to check that what they wish to do isn't prohibited.

Re: My agreement

Posted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 12:51 pm
by Michael Flatt
soheil_hooshdaran wrote:But I should first get their permission. I doubt such a thing would require government's permission. aS SUCH, HE NEEDS TO BE QUICK
I contacted him by email, hoping to get an answer from him
It is not clear whose permission you are seeking.
Are you suggesting that you do not have the author's permission to publish the translation?

Re: My agreement

Posted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 1:18 pm
by soheil_hooshdaran
Michael Flatt wrote:
soheil_hooshdaran wrote:But I should first get their permission. I doubt such a thing would require government's permission. aS SUCH, HE NEEDS TO BE QUICK
I contacted him by email, hoping to get an answer from him
It is not clear whose permission you are seeking.
Are you suggesting that you do not have the author's permission to publish the translation?
He first allowed me to publish the book and thus I started publishing the book.then the publisher told me something and when I reported it to him, he denied me the permission. Now my work is hanginging in the middle of the sky.
I am seeking permission for Mr Dan Addelman, the agent of GM Seirawan.
I described the situation to him in an Email; but he hasn't answered me yet.

Re: My agreement

Posted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 1:55 pm
by soheil_hooshdaran
Ian Thompson wrote:
soheil_hooshdaran wrote:But I should first get their permission. I doubt such a thing would require government's permission.
Perhaps the government's permission is related to UK, EU and United Nations sanctions and embargoes against Iran, and a need to check that what they wish to do isn't prohibited.
No, it is a Persian translation not a foreign book.
But the thing is that in Iran, any book needs Governmental permission to be published. This process will take 1-6 months!

Re: My agreement

Posted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 2:55 pm
by Geoff Chandler
Hi soheil,

I'd refrain from posting all the details about the negotiations in an open forum.
Ask advice by all means but leave out all the finer points.

Get the ball rolling at your end by seeking government permission
and explain the situation in full in another email to your contact.

Good Luck.

Re: My agreement

Posted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 3:40 pm
by soheil_hooshdaran
Sorry, I didn't get the ont-to-last line

Government is giving permission to me in a day or two

Re: My agreement

Posted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 8:51 am
by soheil_hooshdaran
Please advise me on this issue

Re: My agreement

Posted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 11:59 am
by Michael Flatt
Geoff Chandler wrote:Hi soheil,

I'd refrain from posting all the details about the negotiations in an open forum.
Ask advice by all means but leave out all the finer points.

Get the ball rolling at your end by seeking government permission
and explain the situation in full in another email to your contact.

Good Luck.
Geoff Chandler has already provided sound advice.

What more needs to be said?

Re: My agreement

Posted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 12:35 pm
by soheil_hooshdaran
He said he will not answer anymore of my emails.
I send him emails, telling him of the law in Iran, and that the market is good in Iran
I also sent him my address and told him that I am ready to sign the contract
But I still have not received any email from him. What do you think I should do?
The government's permission is ready.

Re: My agreement

Posted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 12:45 pm
by Michael Flatt
soheil_hooshdaran wrote:He said he will not answer anymore of my emails.
Is it worth flogging a dead horse?
Perhaps, it's time to consider a new project?

Re: My agreement

Posted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 12:52 pm
by soheil_hooshdaran
What do you mean by flogging a dead horse?

Starting a new project with the same person probably leads to the same result.

He had allowed me to publish the book but then, in the midst of the publishing process, he denied me, costing me money and reputation.