Australia and TV funding

A section to discuss matters not related to Chess in particular.
PeterTurland

Australia and TV funding

Post by PeterTurland » Wed Jun 18, 2014 6:54 pm

One of my favourite modern philosophers is, Jeremy Bentham his war cry was, 'The maximum good, for the maximum number of people' who in terms of copyright, is not going to vote for that?

I learned with interest today, that in Australia, they have something like the BBC, but no licence fee! Basically this means when they have an election, they vote for who they think should run the Australian version of the BBC, perhaps this is why, my son keeps telling me, he wants to upstakes with his family and emigrate there :(

Neil Graham

Re: Australia and TV funding

Post by Neil Graham » Sun Jun 22, 2014 10:26 pm

PeterTurland wrote:One of my favourite modern philosophers is, Jeremy Bentham his war cry was, 'The maximum good, for the maximum number of people' who in terms of copyright, is not going to vote for that?

I learned with interest today, that in Australia, they have something like the BBC, but no licence fee! Basically this means when they have an election, they vote for who they think should run the Australian version of the BBC, perhaps this is why, my son keeps telling me, he wants to upstakes with his family and emigrate there :(
Voting is compulsory in Australia - failure to turn up at the polling booth and you face a mandatory fine of $20.