Page 1 of 3

World Cup Fantasy Football.

Posted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 3:49 pm
by Eoin Devane
Given the popularity of the Premiership and NFL fantasy leagues this season, I've set up an ECForum league in the official World Cup fantasy game: http://en.mcdonalds.fantasy.fifa.com/

To join the league, sign up for the game, create a team, and go to My Leagues. The league details are:

League Name: ECForum World Cup
Password: ilyumzhinov

Who's in?

Re: World Cup Fantasy Football.

Posted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 6:52 pm
by Matthew Turner
I have signed up

GK Akinfeev

Def Garay Armero Abate Zabaleta

Mid Snejder Hazard Januzaj

Forwards Martinez Neymar (capt) Hernandez

Matt

Re: World Cup Fantasy Football.

Posted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 10:45 pm
by Eoin Devane
Just the three of us so far. Anyone else?

It's an unusual format with full 23 man squads, with transfers not allowed until the end of the group stage. Means there's an interesting sliding scale of strategies possible - do you spend all your money on a starting XI and then just fill the rest of the squad, or do you spread funds evenly across more players / even the whole 23? Ordinarily you'd probably lean more towards the former, but this game also has the interesting rule that you're allowed to sub players out who have already played that gameweek. So you can start Neymar tomorrow, and if he has a bad game sub him out for a replacement from your bench who hasn't played yet. Interesting ...

Re: World Cup Fantasy Football.

Posted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 10:49 pm
by IM Jack Rudd
I'm sticking with Twatball.

Re: World Cup Fantasy Football.

Posted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 10:52 pm
by Eoin Devane
IM Jack Rudd wrote:I'm sticking with Twatball.
Awesome - do we have a league for that one? Might join if so ...

Re: World Cup Fantasy Football.

Posted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 11:03 pm
by IM Jack Rudd
There's one called "chess players".

Re: World Cup Fantasy Football.

Posted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 10:40 am
by Eoin Devane
I've joined Twatball! My team:

Hugo Lloris France (0)

Sergio Ramos Spain (0) Gary Medel Chile (0) Roy Miller Costa Rica (0) Brayan Beckeles Honduras (0) Jason Davidson Australia (0) Jonathan Mensah Ghana (0)

Nigel de Jong Netherlands (0) Xabi Alonso Spain (0)

Wayne Rooney England (0) Mario Balotelli Italy (0)

Re: World Cup Fantasy Football.

Posted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 12:25 pm
by benedgell
I've got:

GK: Muslera

DF: Demichelis Campagnaro Papastho.... (Greek Defender) Eschenko

MF: Oscar Beausejour Ramires

F: Higuan (c) Hernandez Kokorin

Glad some of the Iranian players are only valued at 1mill or I'd have never managed to pick a team in the budget.

Re: World Cup Fantasy Football.

Posted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 3:23 pm
by Dewi Jones
I'm putting the team together in a rush on my lunch break, and can't seem to find out what the scoring method is - so it's gonna be a bit of a blind pick.

Re: World Cup Fantasy Football.

Posted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 3:50 pm
by Dewi Jones
Corr it wasn't easy getting a team for under the asking price either.

Benaglio (SWI)

Cahil (ENG)
Papastathopo (GRE)
Godin (URU)
Lugano (URU)

Toure (IVO)
Hazard (BEL)
Di Maria (ARG)
Fernandinho (BRA)

Lukaku (BEL)
Higuain (ARG) (c)

Re: World Cup Fantasy Football.

Posted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 5:20 pm
by Rob Thompson
I have joined despite not knowing anything about the players. Hopefully my 6 - 1 - 3 formation will do the job...

Re: World Cup Fantasy Football.

Posted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 5:26 pm
by IM Jack Rudd
Rob Thompson wrote:I have joined despite not knowing anything about the players. Hopefully my 6 - 1 - 3 formation will do the job...
Interesting selection; you seem to have gone for the opposite strategy to mine.

Re: World Cup Fantasy Football.

Posted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 6:11 pm
by Dewi Jones
I hadnt seen we could change formation. I thought it was a rigid 442. Ah well. Too late now.

Re: World Cup Fantasy Football.

Posted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 6:15 pm
by Eoin Devane
Dewi Jones wrote:I hadnt seen we could change formation. I thought it was a rigid 442. Ah well. Too late now.
You can change on the drop down bar on the My Team page. Rob's 6-1-3 is only allowed in the Twatball game though, sadly.

Re: World Cup Fantasy Football.

Posted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 6:15 pm
by Eoin Devane
We're up to 10 players now. :)