Ukraine

A section to discuss matters not related to Chess in particular.
Paul McKeown

Re: Ukraine

Post by Paul McKeown » Fri Mar 14, 2014 1:08 am

A heroic attempt to derail a thread. Bravo!

John McKenna

Post by John McKenna » Fri Mar 14, 2014 1:11 am

Off the rails and on to the sleeper.
Goodnite to you, sir

Peter D Williams

Post by Peter D Williams » Fri Mar 14, 2014 11:24 am

Paul McKeown wrote:Uncritical idiocy from Peter the Dull Dietitian.
Hello

I would have thought wanting people to read the Guardian is idiocy.Does any one still really read it? I stick with RT news such as this Former chief of Ukraine’s Security Service has confirmed allegations that snipers who killed dozens of people during the violent unrest in Kiev operated from a building controlled by the opposition on Maidan square. here is the link to the interview with A Yakimenko who was Former chief of Ukraine’s Security Service http://rt.com/op-edge/mercenaries-at-ma ... raine-558/

only 2 days to go before the Crimea referendum and has we all belive in democracy in the west we should accepte the result.It is belived that the people of Crimea will vote in large numbers to join the Russian federation.The BBC and Sky will love the result :wink:

Tonight it is rib eyed streak.
when you are successful many losers bark at you.

Paul McKeown

Post by Paul McKeown » Fri Mar 14, 2014 11:34 am

Anyone who takes their information uncricitically from Russia (Lying) Today deserves marmite sandwiches, untoasted. Of course, it isn't directed to those capable of actual thought.

Crimea referendum? Funny that no one in Crimea thought to hold it until after the Anschluß.

As for Yakimenko? He would say that, as he was the minister, now deposed, who gave the direct orders to shoot protestors. An international arrest warrant has been issued against him for multiple murders and embezzlement of state funds.

John McKenna

Post by John McKenna » Fri Mar 14, 2014 11:50 am

Peter Williams>Tonight it is rib eyed streak.<

You sure about that, Peter?

John McKenna

Post by John McKenna » Fri Mar 14, 2014 11:58 am

Paul McKeown>As for Yakimenko?<

Paul, did you know that in Japanese cookery -

yaki = fry
men = noodles
ko = child

Yakimenko = Fried noodles child

The man is obviously innocent, or would be if tried in Japan.

Peter D Williams

Post by Peter D Williams » Fri Mar 14, 2014 12:43 pm

Paul McKeown wrote:Anyone who takes their information uncricitically from Russia (Lying) Today deserves marmite sandwiches, untoasted. Of course, it isn't directed to those capable of actual thought.

Crimea referendum? Funny that no one in Crimea thought to hold it until after the Anschluß.

As for Yakimenko? He would say that, as he was the minister, now deposed, who gave the direct orders to shoot protestors. An international arrest warrant has been issued against him for multiple murders and embezzlement of state funds.
I perfer RT news any day to the BBC/Sky News.The BBC tells a few halftruths.I love watching them reporting on Crimea you can tell how much it hurts them when almost every person who is interviewed says we want to be part of Russian.

Are you saying the Crimea people should not be allowed to vote to join the Russian Federation?

Internatinal arrest warrant is of no use as he is under the protection of the Russian Federation :wink:

Peter D Williams

Post by Peter D Williams » Fri Mar 14, 2014 12:52 pm

John McKenna wrote:
You sure about that, Peter?
Your right it should say rib eye.

Paul McKeown

Post by Paul McKeown » Sat Mar 15, 2014 11:10 am

Peter D Williams wrote:Internatinal arrest warrant is of no use as he is under the protection of the Russian Federation
Well exactly, you fool. He who pays the piper calls the tune.
Peter D Williams wrote:Are you saying the Crimea people should not be allowed to vote to join the Russian Federation?
If that is their desire, then their desire should be accommodated. That is the right of self determination. However, all that is happening here is an expression of Vladimir Putin's desires.
Peter D Williams wrote:I perfer RT news any day to the BBC/Sky News.
The Dull Dietitian is deluded if he believes that anyone interested in current affairs would rely on the new output of one organ, or one country or even that output in one language. As he places his trust solely in Russia (Lying) Today, clearly he has nothing useful to add to the discussion.

John McKenna

Post by John McKenna » Sat Mar 15, 2014 11:19 am

Hi Paul, I didn't catch Peter's streak last night.
The organ he was most interested in was the "rib eye"!
An army travels on it's stomach, after all.
Do you think that the vote in the Crimea this w/e - should it take place - is a free-and-fair referendum...
or a pre-prepared plebiscite (you and the media have stopped using that word I see!?)

Paul McKeown

Post by Paul McKeown » Sat Mar 15, 2014 11:29 am

The ballot boxes have been stuffed in advance of this fake plebiscite. 58% of Crimeans were ethnic Russian according to the census in 2001; that ratio must certainly now be lower due to the continued return from exile of the Tatar population. Of those ethnic Russians, a significant proportion are opposed to Putin and absorption in a pan-Russian state. Yet RT is now claiming 80% will vote in favour on unification of Russia and Crimea. It doesn't matter how the votes are cast, but how they are counted.

Leaving aside perceptions of pre-determination, there are many factors deliberately deployed in an effort to suppress the vote against unification. To start with, there is no option on the ballot paper for the status quo. The ballot is taking place under armed occupation. No publicity is permitted by those opposed to Putin's wishes.
Last edited by Paul McKeown on Sat Mar 15, 2014 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

John McKenna

Post by John McKenna » Sat Mar 15, 2014 11:32 am

The way I see it, Paul, is that it's a fait accompli.
Putin was happy to have a puppet in Kiev but if he can't have that then he'll take the Crimea instead.
It is true that the EU and the Ukrainian opposition bought this on themselves by not anticipating that.

Edit: I like your "fake plebiscite" description it really makes it doubly clear how you regard it.

Paul McKeown

Post by Paul McKeown » Sat Mar 15, 2014 11:39 am

John McKenna wrote:Putin was happy to have a puppet in Kiev but if he can't have that then he'll take the Crimea instead.
It is possible that he won't stop there. As it is there have been many provocations by thugs bussed in from across the frontier in the cities of the eastern Ukraine. And there is a massed build up of Russian armed forces on the frontier.

John McKenna

Post by John McKenna » Sat Mar 15, 2014 11:52 am

I don't doubt it. However, we are in the sabre-rattling latter days of Western power - except when It comes to physically intimidating little thugs. There will be no 2nd Crimean War with the "allies" pouring ships and men into the Black Sea. The problem created by the West pushing too hard and fast is beyond them now in those terms.
Duty calls, Paul, have to go and put out the trash - as the Yanks say - I may be some time as their is a lot of it. Catch you later tonight.
Why not watch the Candidates, or if you are boycotting that, Keith Arkell in the Euro Senores (sorry can't do the tilde) and hope that he wins while the Russian Kalegin loses and the Georgian Sturua draws.
Some say sport (including chess) and politics should not be mixed and yet it seems to be hard to keep them apart.

John McKenna

Post by John McKenna » Sun Mar 16, 2014 1:00 am

I'm back from the bins and some points south by southwest.
No movements on this so I'll catch up with what's happened elsewhere.

Edit: In my previous hurried post, without thinking about it, I spelled there - 'their'.
Some here spell their - 'there'. Could be a north/south thing, or maybe just a default.