New Year Honours List

A section to discuss matters not related to Chess in particular.
Andy Stoker

Re: New Year Honours List

Post by Andy Stoker » Sat Jan 03, 2015 6:49 am

I have just been successful in the nomination of a relative for an award. The procedure is relatively straightforward - a form can be downloaded and completed with factual information and an account of why the person making the nomination considers that the potential recipient is worthy. Then collect a few letters of support from other people. I would guess it's about 20-30 hours work - depending on how well the person making the nomination knows the circumstances of the nominee. It seems to typically take a little over 18 months from submitting the nomination to the potential award. Anyone can do this.

Just reading back through the previous contributions to this thread:
#Awards seem to be made for various levels of achievement / performance and service ... as far as I can see, the MBE is for the honest toilers who typically give (voluntary) service above and beyond what is normal - it certainly would not have to be someone of GM standard for this award
#The person making the nomination does not have to say which award they are nominating the person for
#Yes, there may well be many people who labour away at club and county level so that others may thrive and enjoy the game - I would suggest that someone gets stuck in and nominates someone they know - doesn't stop others making parallel nominations
#It would seem that asking the ECF to consider nominating someone isn't bearing fruit ... again, my suggestion is to do it yourself - tell them you are doing it, if you wish
Last edited by Andy Stoker on Sat Jan 03, 2015 11:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Gordon Cadden

Post by Gordon Cadden » Sat Jan 03, 2015 10:40 am

Christopher Kreuzer wrote:
Phil Makepeace wrote:Spotted:

Mike Truran OBE
That is:

"Michael Cyril TRURAN - For voluntary services to Bioscience. (Witney, Oxfordshire)"

Is that the same as the chess Mike Truran of the 4NCL? On a brief spot of Googling, it does look the same. (*)

Congratulations!

(Nothing chess-related came up on a search of the New Year Honours List.)

For those who prefer html links:

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales ... 6-32509088

(*) I can never be sure whether Phil is posting seriously or not!
Many thanks for the home thread ! Was hoping to find Kevin Staveley, for services to the British Championships (Aberystwyth). That is Mike Truran, for services to Bio-Science. They could also have mentioned for services to chess (Witney Chess Congress), and the 4NCL.

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Sat Jan 03, 2015 10:54 pm

"ORDER OF THE BATH
Harold Mark Carter. Deputy Legal Adviser Legal Advisers’ Branch, Treasury Solicitors. For services to Government Legal Services and services to the community in Guildford, Surrey. (Guildford, Surrey)"

Probably, Harry was certainly working in that area, and his second initial was M.

Nick Grey

Post by Nick Grey » Sun Jan 04, 2015 7:05 pm

If these activities can be bothered to write & canvass & recommend then perhaps the ECF & others should also do so regularly.

Anyway congratulations, Mike & see you next w/e @ 4NCL.

Neil Graham

Post by Neil Graham » Sat Jun 13, 2015 8:34 pm

I haven't had time to trawl through the Queens Birthday Honours list - too much county chess to organise this weekend. I presume, however, that chess is again inconspicuous for it's absence. I'll list the more peculiar awards in due course.

Neil Graham

Post by Neil Graham » Thu Dec 31, 2015 10:24 am

Any chess players in? The answer is probably obvious but I haven't had time to peruse the 1,200 names.

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Thu Dec 31, 2015 10:54 am

Neil Graham wrote:Any chess players in? The answer is probably obvious but I haven't had time to peruse the 1,200 names.
Is there an easy way to compare the list against either the ECF Membership list or the grading list?

I am guessing the answer to both questions is no

There are some good people on the list, as well as the bad ones - from a professional point of view, I would like to see fewer financial services people honoured and more sent to prison
Any postings on here represent my personal views

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Thu Dec 31, 2015 11:05 am

Mick Norris wrote: Is there an easy way to compare the list against either the ECF Membership list or the grading list?
Provided you can download both into a spreadsheet, there are various functions available which can look up a name from one list in another list and return true or false if found. You then identify the handful of those marked "true". A similar result can be achieved by downloading the data into a database such as Access and writing a query that matches names in both lists.

Perhaps it's like endings, it's only easy if you know how.

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Thu Dec 31, 2015 12:04 pm

This might be the best that the English chess world could hope for.

I have stopped asking the ECF if they had nominated any person during the preceding year.

The closest match of officers who might have some influence are:
Awards Committee – Stewart Reuben (Chairman), Roger Edwards, Stan Goodall, William Metcalfe, ex officio the Membership Director
but I guess they decide on the Club of the Year and other such awards.
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess :D

Bill Porter

Post by Bill Porter » Thu Dec 31, 2015 3:22 pm

Mick Norris wrote:There are some good people on the list, as well as the bad ones - from a professional point of view, I would like to see fewer financial services people honoured and more sent to prison
A select few achieve both distinctions. :)

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Thu Dec 31, 2015 3:24 pm

John Upham wrote:This might be the best that the English chess world could hope for.
That's good news - is her book any good?

Neil Graham

Post by Neil Graham » Sat Jun 11, 2016 12:14 am

The 2016 Birthday Honours List is out. Are there any honours for services to chesss??? :roll:

However there have honours awarded for bellringing (again), protection of hedgehogs, British-Bengali football, marching bands and so on!

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Mon Jun 13, 2016 2:11 pm

Not for services to chess, but the MCF are absolutely delighted to see an MBE awarded to our long time former Council member, and great servant to Manchester Chess, former BCF Treasurer, and thoroughly nice guy Mohammed Amin

Founder Member and Co-Chair, Muslim Jewish Forum of Greater Manchester. For services to Community Cohesion and Inter-faith Relations in Greater Manchester.

David Gilbert

Post by David Gilbert » Thu Aug 04, 2016 8:01 pm

One of our former players on today's list. He was snatched away from us to do greater things after being offered the first team captaincy. Last seen playing in the major at Bury St Edmunds in 2010.

Neil Graham

Post by Neil Graham » Sat Dec 31, 2016 10:41 am

New Year Honours List - I presume no chess players as usual.