Worst film of all time: new contender?

A section to discuss matters not related to Chess in particular.
John McKenna

Re: Worst film of all time: new contender?

Post by John McKenna » Fri Feb 10, 2012 1:40 pm

Might I suggest a theme song - Nazis Have Come From The Moon - based on Everyone's Gone To The Moon, Jonathan King's 1960s smash hit with lyrics - Not long ago, Nazis had come/Everyone went to the Sun/... Now they're returning much too soon/Wish they had stayed on the Moon/ (repeat chorus).
Last edited by John McKenna on Fri Feb 10, 2012 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Matt Mackenzie

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Fri Feb 10, 2012 4:12 pm

George Szaszvari wrote:Should you need some kind of critical consensus then make sure that your nomination is in the same league as "awful" classics like: "Plan 9 From Outer Space", or "Attack of the Killer Tomatoes" to vie for worst film of all time... :lol:
In said category, of course - but also related to the original thread topic - is that deathless and timeless classic "They Saved Hitler's Brain" :D
"Set up your attacks so that when the fire is out, it isn't out!" (H N Pillsbury)

George Szaszvari

Post by George Szaszvari » Fri Feb 10, 2012 7:35 pm

Matt Mackenzie wrote:
George Szaszvari wrote:Should you need some kind of critical consensus then make sure that your nomination is in the same league as "awful" classics like: "Plan 9 From Outer Space", or "Attack of the Killer Tomatoes" to vie for worst film of all time... :lol:
In said category, of course - but also related to the original thread topic - is that deathless and timeless classic "They Saved Hitler's Brain" :D
Hmm, I don't know that one...I'll have to check it out :) While on the brain theme recall that Star Trek (original series) episode when Spock's brain went missing... the producers went fishing around for cheap scriptwriters and killed the series off prematurely with story lines like that, but, in retrospect, the lameness of it made it a very funny classic in a twisted sort of way... :P

Ian Kingston

Post by Ian Kingston » Fri Feb 10, 2012 8:06 pm

George Szaszvari wrote:Hmm, I don't know that one...I'll have to check it out :) While on the brain theme recall that Star Trek (original series) episode when Spock's brain went missing... the producers went fishing around for cheap scriptwriters and killed the series off prematurely with story lines like that, but, in retrospect, the lameness of it made it a very funny classic in a twisted sort of way... :P
Which reminds me: Star Trek did Nazis too: http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Patterns_of_Force.

George Szaszvari

Post by George Szaszvari » Fri Feb 10, 2012 8:38 pm

Ian Kingston wrote: Which reminds me: Star Trek did Nazis too: http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Patterns_of_Force.
Right, a good episode, Spock needing to hide his ears under a 'squarehead' helmet, but I didn't like the obvious mistake made by the Federation historian to model that alien society on Nazi Germany because the latter was supposedly "strong", when any amateur historian knows it was really a very fragile gangster regime riddled with all kinds of weaknesses and enemies within, kind of like that alternative universe episode where the evil Enterprise crew got promotions by assassinating superiors and rivals... golly, this is in danger of becoming a Trekkers thread :lol:

John McKenna

Post by John McKenna » Sat Feb 11, 2012 1:49 am

That 'Evil Enterprise' episode is rarely shown in the UK - probably because it became to be regarded as incorrect, 'politically', to show that a whole unreformed, parallel universe of evil existed.
It's still just OK to show a superhero going from good to bad and back to good again.

Simon Rogers

Post by Simon Rogers » Sun Jun 21, 2020 7:59 pm

John McKenna wrote:
Sat Feb 11, 2012 1:49 am
That 'Evil Enterprise' episode is rarely shown in the UK - probably because it became to be regarded as incorrect, 'politically', to show that a whole unreformed, parallel universe of evil existed.
It's still just OK to show a superhero going from good to bad and back to good again.
I remember seeing the episode back in the mid 1990s when BBC2 repeated all the Original Star Trek Episodes once a week at 6pm on Wednesdays.
There was another Evil Enterprise episode in the mid 2000s when Star Trek Enterprise was released. It featured Scott Bakula as Captain Archer. Although this time it didn't feature the Nazis.
There has been other films and programmes of alternative reality featuring the Nazis.
There was the film: The Philadelphia Experiment 2.
There was the series SS GB on BBC1 a couple of years ago.
There is also the series The Man in the High Castle on satellite.

John McKenna

Post by John McKenna » Mon Jun 22, 2020 7:21 am

Thanks for the memories, Simon.

As usual I was a bit off there - talking 'bout the TV series in a movie context.

And about an episode that was the best, for me, because it was the one where the motley crew were doing their worst.

ANTI-HEROES OF ALTERNATIVE UNIVERSES - LIVE LONG AND PLUNDER!!

They're the only antidote to the usual old superheroes - the kind that inhabit this universe - who will remain (almost) nameless.
Last edited by IM Jack Rudd on Fri Jul 02, 2021 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Edited to remove pointless intra-forum feuding.

Matthew Turner

Post by Matthew Turner » Mon Jun 22, 2020 8:10 pm

Myra Breckinridge gets the nod from the daily telegraph today.

Simon Rogers

Post by Simon Rogers » Mon Aug 24, 2020 5:44 pm

A lot of people thought Waterworld starring Kevin Costner was bad. I thought it was ok.

Simon Rogers

Post by Simon Rogers » Fri Jan 29, 2021 3:10 pm

Another alternate reality series was on Sky Atlantic last year called: The Plot Against America.

MJMcCready

Post by MJMcCready » Sat Jan 30, 2021 1:11 am

We are most likely to have a strong contender later this year, as you may know The Matrix 4 is currently in production. If its as bad as Jaws 3-D, I won't be watching it.

Simon Rogers

Post by Simon Rogers » Tue Jun 08, 2021 8:10 pm

Yeah I'll probably avoid The Matrix 4. I'm still aiming to see the new James Bond film. I think there is a new Jurassic World film on the way.

James Plaskett

Post by James Plaskett » Thu Jun 24, 2021 10:26 pm

I quite liked Waterworld. Think the budget was amazing though and the studio lost a lot of money on it.

Simon Rogers

Post by Simon Rogers » Thu Jul 01, 2021 5:15 pm

Simon Rogers wrote:
Sun Jun 21, 2020 7:59 pm
John McKenna wrote:
Sat Feb 11, 2012 1:49 am
I remember seeing the episode back in the mid 1990s when BBC2 repeated all the Original Star Trek Episodes once a week at 6pm on Wednesdays.
There was another Evil Enterprise episode in the mid 2000s when Star Trek Enterprise was released. It featured Scott Bakula as Captain Archer. Although this time it didn't feature the Nazis.
There has been other films and programmes of alternative reality featuring the Nazis.
There was the film: The Philadelphia Experiment 2.
There was the series SS GB on BBC1 a couple of years ago.
There is also the series The Man in the High Castle on satellite.
There is also two books based on Nazi alternate reality:
Fatherland by Robert Harris.
Just been released is this counterfactual thriller set in a Vichy-style Britain:
Widowland by CJ Carey.
CJ Carey is the pen name of the novelist Jane Thynne.