Page 1 of 1
Chess Analogies in Sport
Posted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 12:45 pm
by Kevin Thurlow
Re: Chess Analogies in Sport
Posted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 5:34 pm
by Stewart Reuben
We once had a club the object of which was picking up on references to IAGOCOT. For those uninitiated, 'It's a game of chess out there.' I think the late John Robison disbanded it when the mentions became too frequent. Even my younger nephew, a non-player, used it unwittingly once.
Of course football isn't all that like chess. Fo one thing, our game is clearly one of three halves.
Re: Chess Analogies in Sport
Posted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 5:51 pm
by Richard James
IAGOCOT was coined by the late Mike Fox and used extensively in Addicts' Corner in CHESS over many years. Eventually we wound it down, as Stewart says, because there was just too much.
Re: Chess Analogies in Sport
Posted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 6:33 pm
by Paul Cooksey
Richard James wrote:IAGOCOT was coined by the late Mike Fox and used extensively in Addicts' Corner in CHESS over many years. Eventually we wound it down, as Stewart says, because there was just too much.
True there are too many to count, but I'd still like to mention Sir Trevor Brooking who was completely reliable in using IAGOCOT if it was still nil-nil after 20 minutes or so.
Re: Chess Analogies in Sport
Posted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 7:04 pm
by Neill Cooper
In John Lewis yesterday the TVs were showing a pastiche of chess and Rugby. I think it is the start of Sky's Saturday afternoon Rugby show. No sound so I don't know what is said.
At school our head of sport talks about how much like chess badminton is, and that is why so many of the good badminton players are also chess players.
Re: Chess Analogies in Sport
Posted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 7:45 pm
by Mick Norris
I played badminton and chess first year at Grammar School, then they moved them on to the same evening - my doubles partner played for Lancs, so I chose chess

Re: Chess Analogies in Sport
Posted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 9:16 pm
by Ian Kingston
I used to have a Google News search for chess, but so many baseball and NFL reports cropped up I had to add specific exclusions for them.
Re: Chess Analogies in Sport
Posted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 12:28 pm
by Kevin Thurlow
Croquet is like chess, according to a couple of my club colleagues many years ago. Having played croquet (but not as well as Robert Fulford), I think they were right.
Re: Chess Analogies in Sport
Posted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 8:18 am
by Nick Murphy
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/olympics/17027704
Former Olympic Gold Medallist Kurt Angle:
"I've had to change. I've pulled back on taking chances. I look back and I almost lost a couple of matches because of sheer stupidity and being too aggressive. I won't be taking that approach now, it's going to be like a chess match."