Richmond

A section to discuss matters not related to Chess in particular.
Mick Norris

Richmond

Post by Mick Norris » Sun Oct 16, 2011 8:07 pm

There seem to be quite a few forumites in and around London, so;

I am in Richmond next weekend and have a free day on Sunday - any recommendations for where to have a light breakfast, lunch and dinner? And what to do if the weather isn't great and I don't fancy walking in the park?
Any postings on here represent my personal views

Richard James

Re: Richmond

Post by Richard James » Sun Oct 16, 2011 8:15 pm

If you like parks and gardens, Kew Gardens is just up the road. If it's raining there are various glasshouses, botanical art galleries etc.. If you like historic buildings, Hampton Court Palace is not too far away (but don't, as some people do, get it confused with Hampton Court House, just across the road, which is where I work). Ham House and Syon House are nearer. There's a wide choice of pubs and restaurants - I have no specific recommendations. If you want any more information on places of interest in the area feel free to PM me.

And if you want me to bore you with my views on what's wrong with junior chess in this country...

Christopher Kreuzer

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Mon Oct 17, 2011 1:08 am

Kew Gardens is a bit over-priced (but worth it if you have the time and the transport to get there). The green space nearest to the town centre is actually Richmond Green, which most visitors fail to realise is there. Some nice cafes near there. If you get a chance, try and get down by the river if the weather is nice, or try and get up the hill to see the famous view (by that time, though, you will be nearly in the park). If you do go in the park, it is very large. Hampton Court Palace is nice, but rather a long way away - if you have time, consider going by river (that takes you past Marble Hill House, through Twickenham and Kingston, and down past Home Park to the Palace).

Really, though, the options depend on what transport you have, and where you are staying. Like Richard, feel free to PM me, though I'm not really likely to be able to tell you more than what you could find online.

John Saunders

Post by John Saunders » Mon Oct 17, 2011 11:02 am

Pembroke Lodge, situated inside Richmond Park, near the Richmond entrance, has a pleasant cafe.
Personal Twitter @johnchess
Britbase https://www.britbase.info
(I prefer email to PM - contact me via this link - https://www.saund.org.uk/email.html)