Monty Panesar

A section to discuss matters not related to Chess in particular.
Alex Holowczak

Re: Monty Panesar

Post by Alex Holowczak » Thu Sep 15, 2011 2:41 pm

Somerset all out for 310 - a run out - and Lancashire need 211 to win.

David Robertson

Post by David Robertson » Thu Sep 15, 2011 2:43 pm

I reckon it's 200 off 34 (or less) but I hesitate to better an anorak like you :-)

Lancs have bowled 62 overs today at the fall of the 9th wicket. The day requires 96 overs minimum. Hence my 34 overs. As I write, there's three hours of the day left, less 20 mins for tea and 10 mins for innings change. I thought 20 overs were required in the final 'hour'. If so, that leaves Somerset to bowl 14 overs in 90 mins. Hhmm...they've no incentive to rush, but that's pushing it a bit! So maybe 41 overs is nearer the mark.

Meanwhile it's all over for Warwickshire as far as a win goes. If Lancs win, they'll be worthy Champions

[edit] ah, 211 off about 36. Very gettable, I fear. But as Paul says, Somerset may have a view on that now
Last edited by David Robertson on Thu Sep 15, 2011 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Thu Sep 15, 2011 2:43 pm

Well done Middlesex, and with Surrey also promoted does that put all the Test ground counties in Div 1

I think Lancs have suffered with Chapple not being fully fit and unable to bowl flat out and as many overs as he would have wanted, which has left the spinners in charge and struggling - however, well played to Trego and Karthik (65 not out)
Any postings on here represent my personal views

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Thu Sep 15, 2011 2:46 pm

David Robertson wrote: ah, 211 off about 36. Very gettable, I fear. But as Paul says, Somerset may have a view on that now
BBC are saying 16 overs plus 90 mins, but also that it is hard to say as Lancs bowled their overs very quickly!

Scoreboard says 28 overs

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Thu Sep 15, 2011 2:48 pm

Mick Norris wrote:Well done Middlesex, and with Surrey also promoted does that put all the Test ground counties in Div 1.
No, because Yorkshire and Hampshire have just been relegated and Glamorgan remain in Division 2.

Now there are nine Test ground counties, it must be long odds against they're ever all being in Division 1 at the same time.

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Thu Sep 15, 2011 2:52 pm

Ah yes, forgot about Cardiff (not popular at Old Trafford)

Still seems the Test counties get more money and that reflects on the pitch - makes Worcs and Sussex more impressive

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Thu Sep 15, 2011 2:58 pm

You can hear the heckling in the background of the BBC Commentary! The Somerset bowlers aren't hurrying. I hadn't realised that with only 28 overs left in the day, Somerset are under no obligation to bowl an over every 4 minutes. They can just bowl 12 overs until the last hour starts...

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Thu Sep 15, 2011 3:02 pm

To be fair, Somerset are plus 4 on over rate in the whole match, however slowly they are going now

Also, Lancs only need 210, as a tie is as good as a win (i.e. useless if Warks win, good enough if not)

Already 18 in the third over, but will be determined when Kartik starts bowling
Last edited by Mick Norris on Thu Sep 15, 2011 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

David Robertson

Post by David Robertson » Thu Sep 15, 2011 3:03 pm

BBC says "minimum 28 overs". Cricinfo tweets say "80 mins + 16 overs, making 32 overs"

Of far, far greater interest is the suggestion that Somerset have a huge incentive to b*gger up Lancs because of Lancs capitulation to Notts last year :lol:

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Thu Sep 15, 2011 3:03 pm

Good time-wasting tactics: A not-particularly close run out. Kirby demolished the stumps with the ball attempting to claim the run out. It wasn't out. He then stayed there with the umpire to assist him with putting the stumps back together again. :lol:

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Thu Sep 15, 2011 3:06 pm

David Robertson wrote:BBC says "minimum 28 overs". Cricinfo tweets say "80 mins + 16 overs, making 32 overs"

Of far, far greater interest is the suggestion that Somerset have a huge incentive to b*gger up Lancs because of Lancs capitulation to Notts last year :lol:
I gather Brian Close lost the England captaincy for Somerset bowling too slowly against Warks?

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Thu Sep 15, 2011 3:13 pm

Mick Norris wrote:
David Robertson wrote:BBC says "minimum 28 overs". Cricinfo tweets say "80 mins + 16 overs, making 32 overs"

I gather Brian Close lost the England captaincy for Somerset bowling too slowly against Warks?
Yep; they just mentioned that on TMS.

David Robertson

Post by David Robertson » Thu Sep 15, 2011 3:18 pm

I was there for that match. Actually in the Edgbaston Press Box as a junior reporter! I was sat just behind Bill Bowes, the famous Yorkshire fast bowler and cricket correspondent for the Yorkshire Post. Next to me was a very well-lunched Brian Chapman (whose Daily Mirror copy I had to file because he was in no fit state to write it). I got so involved in the match that I forgot my professional impartiality in protesting Close's behaviour. This so annoyed Bill Bowes that he stood up and turned on me. He was an elderly silver-haired giant of a man. So when he boomed out: "young man, if you don't be quiet, I shall throw you down the stairs", I quickly piped down.

Meanwhile, Close had required Fred Trueman, then in his final days as a bowler, to measure his run-up back to the Pavillion steps. Each over therefore took about eight minutes. And by the time Trueman reached the crease, he'd slowed to a very knackered walk! I remember thinking how sad it was to watch that great bowler misused. Close would also walk from mid-wicket to deep extra cover to reposition a fielder five yards. He claimed the boos from the very raucous crowd drowned his messages.

Close was actually banned from the captaincy for planting one on an irate fan as he left the field. He was lucky to get that far: the crowd had really become riotous - not just in the Press Box :lol:
Last edited by David Robertson on Thu Sep 15, 2011 3:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Thu Sep 15, 2011 3:26 pm

So who is your money on at tea?

Lancs can miss out by either not scoring fast enough/collapsing at Taunton, or a quick Hants collapse followed by a Warks run chase

Surprised it is this close going into the final session of the season, just glad the weather shouldn't intervene

If Lancs do win, the irony of moving out of G Man to Merseyside for home games this season won't be lost on the chess players of the North West

David Robertson

Post by David Robertson » Thu Sep 15, 2011 3:45 pm

Yes, Bob. It was Warks v. Yorks (1967), as I explain above