Page 1 of 2

BLOODY HELL

Posted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 4:38 pm
by Phil Makepeace
Hope everyone else in London (and other targeted cities) is staying safe during the riots. Round here, everything is already shut as a prophylactic measure. Not that that's a totally effective safeguard of course.

Re: BLOODY HELL

Posted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 4:48 pm
by David Sedgwick
Thanks Phil.

The area of Croydon which I was in at 7.00 pm last night went up in flames at 8.00 pm.

How did I let people know I was safe and well? By posting on this Forum, of course.

Re: BLOODY HELL

Posted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 5:12 pm
by Nicky Chorley
I was wondering if and when there'd be a thread about this here. I'm in Tottenham, where all the idiocy started. There haven't been any reports of anything going on here last night, but when I went out to chess last night, all the shops in our retail park had their fronts boarded up. Haven't heard of anything going on here today.

Hopefully everyone else is staying safe.

Re: BLOODY HELL

Posted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 5:27 pm
by Paul Littlewood
Amazingly I have just been advised that the Bridge Club evening at Watford is cancelled because the police are expecting trouble in the Town centre. What are we coming to ?

Re: BLOODY HELL

Posted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 5:43 pm
by Jonathan Bryant
Paul Littlewood wrote:Amazingly I have just been advised that the Bridge Club evening at Watford is cancelled because the police are expecting trouble in the Town centre.
From the Bridge Club? Dangerous lot obviously. Come back to chess Paul.


Streatham kind of sort of ok but sirens going past fairly frequently.

Re: BLOODY HELL

Posted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 5:46 pm
by chrisobee
Paul Littlewood wrote:Amazingly I have just been advised that the Bridge Club evening at Watford is cancelled because the police are expecting trouble in the Town centre. What are we coming to ?
Yes, I heard the rumours but I also heard a rumour that Watford was going to be targeted at 3pm today, still very quiet. Long may it continue ! But to cancel a Bridge Club seems rather an over reaction even if there is trouble.

Re: BLOODY HELL

Posted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 5:48 pm
by James Coleman
I'm doing chess coaching in Hackney tomorrow. It was nice knowing you all!

Re: BLOODY HELL

Posted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 5:56 pm
by Paul Cooksey
Paul Littlewood wrote:Amazingly I have just been advised that the Bridge Club evening at Watford is cancelled because the police are expecting trouble in the Town centre. What are we coming to ?
Its wrong that I have spent the last five minutes failing to get a Bridge over in Troubled Watford pun to work isn't it? :oops:

Re: BLOODY HELL

Posted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 5:58 pm
by Phil Makepeace
Paul Cooksey wrote:
Paul Littlewood wrote:Amazingly I have just been advised that the Bridge Club evening at Watford is cancelled because the police are expecting trouble in the Town centre. What are we coming to ?
Its wrong that I have spent the last five minutes failing to get a Bridge over in Troubled Watford pun to work isn't it? :oops:
Well there's always this.

Re: BLOODY HELL

Posted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 6:00 pm
by chrisobee
Clearly chess players only make good comedians when they are actually playing chess !!

Re: BLOODY HELL

Posted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 7:34 pm
by Paul McKeown
What we need is a tropical style rainstorm lasting two or three days, more reliable for dispersing crowds than any number of water cannons! Long clear nights, fine weather, last thing we need at the moment. Typical, you can depend on the British weather to be wrong.

Re: BLOODY HELL

Posted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:00 pm
by Richard Bates
A tropical rainstorm covering the country for 2-3 days, but magically missing Edgbaston, if you please.

Re: BLOODY HELL

Posted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:51 pm
by James Byrne
...

Re: BLOODY HELL

Posted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 11:25 pm
by Christopher Kreuzer
James Byrne wrote:They should get the army involved, they won't be rioting when there's a bunch of tanks and fighter helicopters chasing them.
Did you see the movie Black Hawk Down?

Re: BLOODY HELL

Posted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 11:46 pm
by James Byrne
...