England-Wales Rugby

A section to discuss matters not related to Chess in particular.
Paul Cooksey

England-Wales Rugby

Post by Paul Cooksey » Sat Aug 06, 2011 2:46 pm

I'm multitasking. England in All Black kit, just wrong. :cry:

Carl Hibbard

Re: England-Wales Rugby

Post by Carl Hibbard » Sat Aug 06, 2011 2:47 pm

Paul Cooksey wrote:I'm multitasking. England in All Black kit, just wrong. :cry:
A disgrace yes
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

Paul Cooksey

Post by Paul Cooksey » Sat Aug 06, 2011 2:55 pm

I'd rather they were playing in stonewall t-shirts :D

Christopher Kreuzer

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Sat Aug 06, 2011 2:58 pm

Is this happening at Twickenham or Cardiff? If Twickenham, I'll open the window and see if I can hear the crowd! :D

Paul Cooksey

Post by Paul Cooksey » Sat Aug 06, 2011 3:01 pm

Christopher Kreuzer wrote:Is this happening at Twickenham or Cardiff? If Twickenham, I'll open the window and see if I can hear the crowd! :D
Twickenham, that roar was Armitage nearly scoring :)

Apologies for bring up chess, but vaguely remember playing somewhere near enough to Highbury that you could tell if
Arsenal had scored.

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Sat Aug 06, 2011 3:09 pm

Where are you watching this? I can only get Scotland v Ireland... :(

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Sat Aug 06, 2011 3:13 pm

Alex Holowczak wrote:Where are you watching this? I can only get Scotland v Ireland... :(
It's on the S word...
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

Christopher Kreuzer

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Sat Aug 06, 2011 3:17 pm

Alex Holowczak wrote:Where are you watching this? I can only get Scotland v Ireland... :(
I too tried that. Flicking channels hoping it was on a red button channel. Then saw it was on Sky. :(

Paul McKeown

Post by Paul McKeown » Sat Aug 06, 2011 3:17 pm

Sorry, my little Ingerlunder friends, but I'm happy to watch Ireland play rather miserably with an experimental side against Scotland. You can tell how poorly Ireland have been playing, the piper playing Scottish Soldier hasn't been so lively in years. But Engerlund has no chance of winning the World Cup this time, even by stealing the Kiwis clothes... :mrgreen:

Christopher Kreuzer

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Sat Aug 06, 2011 3:19 pm

Paul McKeown wrote:Sorry, my little Ingerlunder friends, but I'm happy to watch Ireland play rather miserably with an experimental side against Scotland. You can tell how poorly Ireland have been playing, the piper playing Scottish Soldier hasn't been so lively in years. But Engerlund has no chance of winning the World Cup this time, even by stealing the Kiwis clothes... :mrgreen:
That's what people thought in 2007, and England reached the final!

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Sat Aug 06, 2011 4:01 pm

Christopher Kreuzer wrote:
Paul McKeown wrote:Sorry, my little Ingerlunder friends, but I'm happy to watch Ireland play rather miserably with an experimental side against Scotland. You can tell how poorly Ireland have been playing, the piper playing Scottish Soldier hasn't been so lively in years. But Engerlund has no chance of winning the World Cup this time, even by stealing the Kiwis clothes... :mrgreen:
That's what people thought in 2007, and England reached the final!
England have the "Group of Death" with Argentina and Scotland. Argentina of 2011 are a different battle from the Argentina of 2007. Scotland will be relatively harmless given they score fewer tries than just about any other top 10 rugby nation. In the knockout stages, it's a lottery and depends who is in form.

The problem with the Rugby World Cup is the top 10 in the world are so much better than the next 10. For example, in Group A, France v New Zealand will be a good game. Their other three games against Canada, Japan and Tonga are going to be something between 50 to 100 v 0 to 10. From a competition point of view, 2 groups of 5 might be a bit better.

Paul McKeown

Post by Paul McKeown » Sat Aug 06, 2011 4:06 pm

Bloody heck, Scotland score a try. Haven't had to said that for at least a dozen years... :shock:

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Sat Aug 06, 2011 4:29 pm

Paul McKeown wrote:Bloody heck, Scotland score a try. Haven't had to said that for at least a dozen years... :shock:
They only scored because I just said:
Alex Holowczak wrote:Scotland will be relatively harmless given they score fewer tries than just about any other top 10 rugby nation.
So of course they scored. :wink:

It's a shame that Wales always capitulate and concede about 30 points in the last 20 minutes. *crosses fingers*

David Robertson

Post by David Robertson » Sun Aug 07, 2011 2:44 pm

England planning to take on the Haka

Not content with adopting an all-black strip, the RFU now reckons it has an effective answer to the Haka. Team coach, Martin Johnson, has been instructed to ensure that 20% of all training time is now devoted to the matter. "It's about gaining the psychological upper hand", an RFU spokesman said at the release of the training video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZjLATAUwao

Paul Cooksey

Post by Paul Cooksey » Sun Aug 07, 2011 2:57 pm

David Robertson wrote:England planning to take on the Haka

Not content with adopting an all-black strip, the RFU now reckons it has an effective answer to the Haka. Team coach, Martin Johnson, has been instructed to ensure that 20% of all training time is now devoted to the matter. "It's about gaining the psychological upper hand", an RFU spokesman said at the release of the training video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZjLATAUwao
:D . Further genius in the comments "I did a cycling tour of Medieval England...". I though a Police box or a DeLorean was more common than a bicycle for such tours.