Test Cricket: England v India

A section to discuss matters not related to Chess in particular.
Paul McKeown

Re: Test Cricket: England v India

Post by Paul McKeown » Thu Aug 25, 2011 7:02 pm

Paul McKeown wrote:I hear the sound of the Saw Doctors playing on the speakers at Clontarf... catchy tune that
Yeah, that was "The Joyce Country Ceili Band" for those haven't yet been acquainted with the Saw Doctors. My particular favourite is "I'ld Love to Bang the Bangles", for sheer silliness. "And Shane Magowan is not my type, Sure his teeth are green and mangled," Sheesh! Their best, though, is probably the Green and Red of Mayo, rockier rather than ceili.

Malcolm Clarke

Post by Malcolm Clarke » Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:15 pm

It is difficult to keep up with this thread, and hope I am not being too prodantic. However is it Jack Bannister and not Joe Bannister who gives cricket summaries?

As Jack Bannister boasts the best bowling figures in Warwickshire cricket history, and Alex Holowczak appears to be a Warwickshire supporter I would not have thought he would get that wrong, although it could be a mistake on cricinfo.

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:58 pm

Malcolm Clarke wrote:It is difficult to keep up with this thread, and hope I am not being too prodantic. However is it Jack Bannister and not Joe Bannister who gives cricket summaries?

As Jack Bannister boasts the best bowling figures in Warwickshire cricket history, and Alex Holowczak appears to be a Warwickshire supporter I would not have thought he would get that wrong, although it could be a mistake on cricinfo.
Malcolm, I copied and pasted from Cricinfo. It could have been expert analysis. It could equally have just been a text or e-mail from someone random.

I'm actually a Worcestershire supporter! I just acknowledge that Chris Woakes is a good player. :)

Malcolm Clarke

Post by Malcolm Clarke » Sat Aug 27, 2011 6:10 pm

Did not know how I made the assumption that you were a Warwickshire supporter as I would expect that Warwickshire and Worcestershire are greart rivals.

As I live only about five miles from Hampshire's Rose Bowl ground I was not surprised that the last day of the Hampshire v Worcestershire match was rain affected as their was heavy rain the night before.

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Sat Aug 27, 2011 8:15 pm

Malcolm Clarke wrote:As I live only about five miles from Hampshire's Rose Bowl ground I was not surprised that the last day of the Hampshire v Worcestershire match was rain affected as their was heavy rain the night before.
We really needed a win in that game. :(

We're out of the relegation zone with three games to go; Yorkshire below us have just two. If we win one more game, I think we'll survive. With the squad we have, that'd be an awesome achievement.

Hampshire look doomed in Division One.

Malcolm Clarke

Post by Malcolm Clarke » Sat Aug 27, 2011 10:38 pm

Even though I live in the county I am not particularly a fan of Hampshire. However I do not necessarily hold the view that Hampshire are doomed.

In the three county championship matches prior to the Worcestershire game, Hampshire beat Durham and Warwickshire, and had the better of a drawn match with Yorkshire, in which Michael Carberry and Neil McKenzie hit a record breaking stand.

Time will tell who benefitted more from the rain on the last day. Worcestershire had the better chance of winning the match, but the way that Wood and Mascarenhas batted on the final day suggested that Hampshire were still very much in with a chance.

As things stand at the moment Worcestershire are the best placed of the bottom three to avoid the drop, but a lot can happen between now and the end of the season.

Malcolm Clarke

Post by Malcolm Clarke » Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:00 am

Interesting round of county championship games starting today, with Somerset playing Hampshire, Warwickshire playing Yorkshire, and Lancashire playing Worcestershire, which are all games that will have a bearing at both ends of the table. It appears that Somerset will be without Trescothick, Yorkshire without Rudolph, while Woakes, Rankin and Porterfield return for Warwickshire.

Paul McKeown

Post by Paul McKeown » Wed Aug 31, 2011 1:05 pm

Bet Leics are rather regretting putting Middx into bat :!:

496-2 with Strauss 241 n.o. at lunch on the second day :lol:

Paul McKeown

Post by Paul McKeown » Wed Aug 31, 2011 2:14 pm

And good news for Alex H., as Worcs. bowl out Lancs. for 161.

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Wed Aug 31, 2011 2:18 pm

Paul McKeown wrote:And good news for Alex H., as Worcs. bowl out Lancs. for 161.
Well, they were 67/7... :(

At least with the late carnage there's still plenty of time left in the game. I'd rather they score 161 in 35 overs than 75. Worcestershire should be in the lead by the end of the day.

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Wed Aug 31, 2011 2:19 pm

Paul McKeown wrote:And good news for Alex H., as Worcs. bowl out Lancs. for 161.
Hopefully there is something wrong with the pitch and Lancs can return the favour
Any postings on here represent my personal views

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Wed Aug 31, 2011 2:21 pm

Paul McKeown wrote:Bet Leics are rather regretting putting Middx into bat :!:

496-2 with Strauss 241 n.o. at lunch on the second day :lol:
At which point they declared, which surprised me. Should we be worried that a 22-year old opening batsman called Sam Robson also got 100? He looks like he could make an impact for New South Wales this winter. Given Australia's current woes, it might not be too long before he gets a call up.

Paul McKeown

Post by Paul McKeown » Wed Aug 31, 2011 2:44 pm

Alex Holowczak wrote:At which point they declared, which surprised me.
Dodgy light.

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Wed Aug 31, 2011 3:46 pm

Paul McKeown wrote:
Dodgy light.
Still surprises me. I'd have thought if the light was dodgy, you'd want to be batting. You can at least bat through it at 490/2, whereas the opponents at 0/0 could quite easily walk off the field...

Meanwhile, Worcestershire appear to be fulfilling my prediction of getting into the lead tonight by collapsing to 49/4. I fear the pitch inspectors could be on their way to New Road. :cry:

Paul McKeown

Post by Paul McKeown » Wed Aug 31, 2011 4:01 pm

Alex Holowczak wrote:
Paul McKeown wrote:
Dodgy light.
Still surprises me. I'd have thought if the light was dodgy, you'd want to be batting. You can at least bat through it at 490/2, whereas the opponents at 0/0 could quite easily walk off the field...
I think the forecast is for lots of it over the coming days...