Moon Landing

A section to discuss matters not related to Chess in particular.
Simon Dixon

Moon Landing

Post by Simon Dixon » Tue Jul 05, 2011 2:34 pm

Who believes the Americans actually landed on the moon?

I for one do not believe they did, I think we would be able to prove it if they had. Given the technology we have, we should be able to see the flag and lunar module they left behind................in the Nevada desert maybe. :wink:
Last edited by Simon Dixon on Tue Jul 05, 2011 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Christopher Kreuzer

Re: Moon Landing

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Tue Jul 05, 2011 2:38 pm

Richard Cowan

Post by Richard Cowan » Tue Jul 05, 2011 3:49 pm

They brought some rock back... It had M..O..O..N right through the middle of it!

Sounds pretty compelling to me...

teddyosbourn

Post by teddyosbourn » Tue Jul 05, 2011 5:24 pm

Surely everyone knows that the moon landings were fake, JFK was assassinated by the CIA, 9/11 was an inside job and they have extraterrestrial technology secreted inside Area 51...

:shock:

... and that Elvis is still rocking and rolling on the Shangri-La club circuit, cheered on in the audience by Shergar, Lord Lucan and the Abominable Snowman.

George Szaszvari

Post by George Szaszvari » Tue Jul 05, 2011 7:23 pm

Christopher Kreuzer wrote:Try this page:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Third-part ... n_landings
Christopher, you are such a killjoy! :P

John Hickman

Post by John Hickman » Tue Jul 05, 2011 9:13 pm

The Americans landed on the Moon alright, but then realised they'd forgotted to put any film in the camera :oops: , so they had to fake the footage when they got back.

If you want evidence for this, you will have to find it yourself :wink:

William Metcalfe

Post by William Metcalfe » Wed Jul 06, 2011 3:48 am

People forget the moon landings were at the height off the cold war and the Russians were tracking everything America did.If the moon landings did not happen the russians would have been shouting it from the roof tops and produced the evidence as it would have been one hell of a propaganda weapon to embarass America with
I am speaking here for myself and not the NCCU which i am now president of

Simon Dixon

Post by Simon Dixon » Thu Jul 07, 2011 2:46 pm

William Metcalfe wrote:People forget the moon landings were at the height off the cold war and the Russians were tracking everything America did.If the moon landings did not happen the russians would have been shouting it from the roof tops and produced the evidence as it would have been one hell of a propaganda weapon to embarass America with
I don't think the Russians had the technology back then to track objects from earth to the moon, even today such technology does not exist. And we will never know what was said on the subject by the Russians because there was no communication between the USA and the former USSR back then.

There is a report on you tube by a Russian Cosmonaut who claims it is impossible to get to the moon (never mind coming back alive) due to the radiation belt around the earth.

Christopher Kreuzer

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Thu Jul 07, 2011 2:59 pm

Simon Dixon wrote:
William Metcalfe wrote:People forget the moon landings were at the height off the cold war and the Russians were tracking everything America did.If the moon landings did not happen the russians would have been shouting it from the roof tops and produced the evidence as it would have been one hell of a propaganda weapon to embarass America with
I don't think the Russians had the technology back then to track objects from earth to the moon, even today such technology does not exist. And we will never know what was said on the subject by the Russians because there was no communication between the USA and the former USSR back then.
There was communication between the USA and the USSR during the Cold War.
Simon Dixon wrote:There is a report on you tube by a Russian Cosmonaut who claims it is impossible to get to the moon (never mind coming back alive) due to the radiation belt around the earth.
Hmm. Yeah. Right. Does he give his name?

Simon Dixon

Post by Simon Dixon » Thu Jul 07, 2011 3:11 pm

There was communication between the USA and the USSR during the Cold War.
I imagine there was communication telling each other where to get off no doubt.
Hmm. Yeah. Right. Does he give his name?
Yes I believe he does, in a Fox news report.

Ian Kingston

Post by Ian Kingston » Thu Jul 07, 2011 4:49 pm

Simon Dixon wrote:I don't think the Russians had the technology back then to track objects from earth to the moon, even today such technology does not exist.
The Soviet Union soft-landed Luna 9 on the Moon in 1966. They were more than capable of tracking Apollo in 1969. NASA is still tracking its Voyager probes, far out beyond Pluto, today.
Simon Dixon wrote:There is a report on you tube by a Russian Cosmonaut who claims it is impossible to get to the moon (never mind coming back alive) due to the radiation belt around the earth.
To quote Phil Plait (aka the Bad Astronomer):
This is complete and utter nonsense. The van Allen belts are regions above the Earth's surface where the Earth's magnetic field has trapped particles of the solar wind. An unprotected man would indeed get a lethal dose of radiation, if he stayed there long enough. Actually, the spaceship traveled through the belts pretty quickly, getting past them in an hour or so. There simply wasn't enough time to get a lethal dose, and, as a matter of fact, the metal hull of the spaceship did indeed block most of the radiation.
I think he's commenting here on the same cosmonaut's interview.

Plait has much more on the 'Moon Hoax' on the rest of the page linked above. Once you've read that, you'll see why it's one of the stupidest conspiracy theories out there.

Matt Mackenzie

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Thu Jul 07, 2011 6:16 pm

Simon Dixon wrote: in a Fox news report
Further comment is, surely, superfluous :twisted:
"Set up your attacks so that when the fire is out, it isn't out!" (H N Pillsbury)

Nick Thomas

Post by Nick Thomas » Thu Jul 07, 2011 8:40 pm

Matt Mackenzie wrote:
Murdoch strikes again :shock:

Simon Dixon

Post by Simon Dixon » Fri Jul 08, 2011 12:18 pm

Nick Thomas wrote:
Matt Mackenzie wrote:
Murdoch strikes again :shock:
And again on Sky news, I suppose that is a hoax as well, the pictures showing the space shuttle are not real. :wink: